Thread: Karl Lagerfeld defends fur industry; 'beasts' would kill us if we didn't kill them

Default Karl Lagerfeld defends fur industry; 'beasts' would kill us if we didn't kill them

Karl Lagerfeld defends fur industry saying 'beasts' would kill us if we didn't kill them

The fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld has defended the fur industry saying it is justified because the "beasts" fur comes from would "kill us if they could."

The Chanel supremo said it was "childish" to even discuss the issue of wearing fur in a world where eating meat was normal.

German-born Lagerfeld, 75, a contemporary of the late Yves Saint Laurent, said that he did not himself wear fur. But he defended the practice, saying there was "an industry who lives from that".

Hunters in the north "make a living having learnt nothing else than hunting", he said, "killing those beasts who would kill us if they could."
    Animals should be killed "nicely" if at all possible, said Lagerfeld, who admitted to being queasy about eating meat.

"I can hardly eat meat because it has to look like something what it was not when it was alive," he said.

He concluded: "In a meat-eating world, wearing leather for shoes and clothes and even handbags, the discussion of fur is childish."

In an interview on the Radio 4 Today programme, Lagerfeld also said the issue of size zero models was insignificant compared to the "zillions" of fat people.

Doctors have criticised the use of size zero models, saying it has contributed to a rise in eating disorders among girls who feel pressured to conform to this idea of beauty.

But he said: "In France there are, I think, less than one per cent of people who are too skinny.

"There are nearly 30 per cent of young people who are too fat. So let's take care of the zillions of the too fat before we talk about the percentage that's left."

In further questions Lagerfeld said he viewed the global recession as "more like a cleaning up."

"It too was rotten anyway, so it had to be cleaned up," he said.

A spokesman for the support group Beating Eating Disorders said Lagerfeld's comments on size zero models were "a very sad reflection" on attitudes within the fashion industry.

She said: "We talk to thousands of people every year with eating disorders, who say 'If we look like that, we are told that we should be in hospital.' Yet these models are being celebrated."

A spokesman for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (Peta) described Lagerfeld as a “dinosaur” who had got his facts wrong.
    She said: “Karl Lagerfeld is a fashion dinosaur who is as out of step as his furs are out of style.

“The vast majority of fur these days comes not from hunters as he suggests, but from Chinese fur farms, where no law protects the millions of animals who are routinely beaten and skinned alive.

“Lagerfeld’s childish refusal to acknowledge the needless suffering behind every piece of fur and listen to public opinion means that he is being overtaken in the style stakes by an increasing number of designers who believe that cruelty has no place in fashion.”

Karl Lagerfeld defends fur industry saying 'beasts' would kill us if we didn't kill them - Telegraph

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

What a fucking retard. Maybe someone should skin him and wear him skin around them.
    Last edited by NicoleWasHere; January 2nd, 2009 at 10:42 AM.

^^Karl is a he.....well.....kind of......he's about 75% plastic now....
    Last edited by cynic; January 2nd, 2009 at 10:36 AM. Reason: explaining myself better

^ Whoops, LOL

^^...Oh, google his picture, he is worth seeing.....he looks much worse than dead fur............he belongs in the Scary Celebs section.....

Red face

'High, High. Yaw Both High and Smokin' Weeeed in Front of My Howse"
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

Cool

Karl Lagerfeld is so ridiculous he's almost funny.

Here's the dastardly mink, out for human blood:

The predatory stoat (ermine), ready to rend humans limb from limb:

And the evil chinchilla:

I am so scared!
    Last edited by Shinola; January 3rd, 2009 at 12:56 PM.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

There was a line on Will and Grace where Rosie O'Donnell said to Karen..... "You know, if there were any justice in the world, there'd be an alligator somewhere carrying you as a hand bag".

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

well he's probably suffering from alziemhers to say such ridiculous bullshit, fucking idiot. i never liked the guy, he's a celebrity ass-kisser. im one of those art-loving ppl who thinks fashion is definetly an art and can be beautiful and inspiring but most of the ppl involved in the fashion world need a big dose of reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    Karl Lagerfeld is so ridiculous he's almost funny.

Here's the dastardly mink, out for human blood:

The predatory stoat (ermine), ready to rend humans limb from limb:

And the evil chinchilla:

I am so scared!
    I can't see the first pic but the bottom two are precious!

for real^

I thought his comment about the economy was interesting, wonder what he means by 'it needed cleaning up'...so long as it doesn't effect him I guess.

I don't think cruelty of any kind needs to be excused, because it is just not fucking necessary. That is what people who use his arguments always gloss over. I think that perhaps some of the animal welfare groups are missing the boat by trying to convert everyone to vegetarianism, I think our statistic is 4% veg in this country and it remains pretty stable (due in a very large part to the government propaganda about meat and dairy as 'nutrition') but I would like to see all the cruelty (by this I mean neglect, fear, deprivation and intentional infliction of pain) gone from exploitation of animals. Then we can talk about veganism. Some people make the leap all at once, but the majority don't and never will. He can talk about 'childish' all he wants but there is nothing mature about unnecessary infliction of suffering and cruelty. I don't think having nice clothes justifies the torment and torture. Those could be done away with, and that is what people of conscience need to stand up for.

Well sure, Karl. They would probably anally electrocute you, too.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I found a different picture of a mink--don't know why the first one stopped working.

I make a distinction between cultures in very cold climates that traditionally wear fur, and fur used simply for fashion.

And the fur farms are kind of gross.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Thread Information