Thread: Washington Post runs anti-gay, bigoted comic strip

Thumbs down Washington Post runs anti-gay, bigoted comic strip

From AMERICAblog:

The Washington Post today published an anti-gay comic strip for all of Washington, DC's children to read. What a fitting close to the week we commemorate Martin Luther King's civil rights legacy to the nation.

In the cartoon, you have two young characters walking by a movie marquee for Brokeback Mountain. The dialogue between the two characters is as follows:

"Yeesh, a kissin' cowboy movie!

Somewhere, John Wayne is weeping...

John Wayne cried?

Of course not. Buf if he did, he would..."

You see, a movie about gay people is gross and very unmanly, and thus a movie that showed gay people as normal suffering human beings is something that a real American like John Wayne would be disgusted with.

And apparently the Washington Post has no problem publishing bigoted attacks against gays and lesbians because, on a page frequented by children no less, they published the cartoon.

And before we hear from the Washington Post about their wonderful freedom of speech policy, ask them why they deleted hundreds of reader responses from their blog about their horrible ombudsman who herself said she's going to stop responding to critics (which is, by the way, her job).

If the Post is all for free speech, I wonder how they'd react to a cartoon about, oh, say, Denzel Washington's movie "A Soldier's Story" - the cartoon would go something like this....

Yeesh, a black war hero movie!

Somewhere, General Patton is weeping...

General Patton cried?

Of course not. Buf if he did, he would...

When we get the answer to that question, then we'll know if the Washington Post is really for freedom of speech, or just run by a bunch of conservative bigots.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default Re: Washington Post runs anti-gay, bigoted comic strip

That cartoon strip is not funny at all.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

That's because the person who draw it is a right-wing retard who's insecure about his own sexuality and feels threatened.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

My husband and I had the exact dialogue as this "cartoon" .... truly .... the other night.

The conversation wasn't a bigoted one ..... we were simply stating how the generations have changed and what the men-who-have-gone-before-us would say and think ..... just like I believe that strip was doing.

It's akin to saying that Elvis would roll over in his grave if he knew that Lisa married Michael.

But still there would be some bigots who would say the same thing, though in a more unfunny and more hateful way.

Uh no, it's akin to ol John Wayne crying because apparently gay cowboys somehow remove the masculinity of the genre, or some such ignorant bullshit.

Oh, Prickly City.

Once again you've managed to be incredibly offensive and inaccurate. And it is made better by the fact that a famous pulp western writer, Larry McMurtry, worked on the damn script.

Oh, and the author of Prickly City also uses its black/other minority characters as puppets in his own conservative talking points and used to make political cartoons.

God fobid there be a gay movie where no one gets beaten to death graphically or something.

Thread Information