Thread: British conjoined twin dies after separation surgery

Default British conjoined twin dies after separation surgery

A one-week-old conjoined twin died following high-risk emergency surgery to separate her from her sister, a London hospital said on Wednesday.
    Hope Williams, the smaller of the twins, died after being separated from her sister Faith, who has a 50-50 chance of survival, Great Ormond Street Hospital said. Hope's lungs were unable to support her breathing.
    Professor Agostino Pierro, head of the surgical team, said Faith was in a "stable" condition. Her parents were "devastated by the loss of their other daughter," he added.
    The mother of the baby girls, 18-year-old Laura Williams, is Britain's youngest-ever mother of conjoined twins. The pair were born by Caesarian section last Wednesday.
    The sisters were joined from the breastbone to the top of the navel. They shared their blood circulation but had their own organs, though they were joined at the liver and intestines.
    Doctors wanted to wait until the pair were older and stronger before attempting to separate them.
    But Pierro said surgeons had to operate sooner because the twins' health was deteriorating.
    "This was an emergency operation because there was a blockage in their joint intestine which could only be resolved through surgery," he said.
    "The technical surgery worked well, although it was extremely challenging, and went according to plan."

More than 20 staff were involved in the 11-hour procedure, which finished at 7:00pm (1900 GMT) Tuesday, and the twins were moved into different theatres after the separation, he said.
    "However, very sadly, after separation baby Hope's lungs proved too small to support her breathing and she died last night in the presence of her parents.
    "They are clearly devastated by the loss of their daughter and we offer them our deepest condolences on their loss.
    "Baby Faith is stable after separation. She requires support for her breathing but she is gradually improving. However it is early days and complications can occur."
    Her chances of survival were around 50-50, he said.
    "If everything goes well there will be more surgery required to close her tummy but I can't tell you now when the surgery will happen," he said.
    The twins together weighed 10 pounds and eight ounces (4.76 kilogrammes) at birth.
    Conjoined twins occur when the single egg from which identical twins develop fails to divide properly after conception.
    It usually occurs in women aged 25 to 40 years old. The survival rate is between five and 25 percent.
    Williams and her husband Aled, 28, who have another daughter, 18-month-old Carly, were initially advised to terminate the pregnancy.
    The teenager, from Shrewsbury in west central England, told The Mail on Sunday newspaper following the birth: "After I came round from the operation they wheeled me in to see them.
    "They were both blowing bubbles. They were so beautiful. I couldn't stop looking at them.
    "We knew that conjoined twins very rarely make it through the first 24 hours and we could see that one girl was a bit smaller than the other so we called the little one Hope and the bigger one Faith."

AFP: British conjoined twin dies after separation surgery

thats sad
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Oh,no. This is sad-I hope the other one makes it,poor darling.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

How horrible

Awww that's really sad I guess they knew the risks but still. I really hope the other one survives. I'm suprised though since they said it wasn't a severe joining. Everyone sounded really positive. Such a shame.
    It's like you ate too much crazy then puked it all over a post and hit submit - Nancydrew

How terrible. Poor babies. I hope Faith does well recovering.

Poor little babies.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I had a read through some of the comments left following an article about this in the Daily Mail (yes, I know...). There were a few people really slamming the parents for continuing the pregnancy and for allowing the operation to take place so soon after the birth (in spite of the fact that it was said that it was performed then because the twins health started to deteriorate). People really piss me off sometimes...

Aw. Poor little thing. I hope Faith pulls through.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    I had a read through some of the comments left following an article about this in the Daily Mail (yes, I know...). There were a few people really slamming the parents for continuing the pregnancy and for allowing the operation to take place so soon after the birth (in spite of the fact that it was said that it was performed then because the twins health started to deteriorate). People really piss me off sometimes...
    I read the same comments; some of those people were really horrible!
    Fingers crossed little Faith pulls through and is ok.

Thread Information