Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woman with Cerebral Palsy banned from coffee shop

Default Woman with Cerebral Palsy banned from coffee shop

Shop At Your Own Risk

Susan Curran, 58, is a regular at her local Marks and Spencer, where she frequently meets friends in the cafe of the British chain's nearest outpost. But after Susan, who suffers from cerebral palsy, got stuck in a bathroom and was forced to pull the emergency bell, she was banned from the store. After being told by a manager that "staff were not trained to deal with her and workers were being put at risk," she received a letter stating that "You are not permitted to enter into any of our stores again. If you choose to ignore this notice you will be asked to leave."

[Telegraph]

Shop At Your Own Risk
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Oh my...
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Hit By Ban Bus!

That's sad.

Money money money money. MONEY.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

FFS, what is wrong with people?

This sounds illegal doesn't it?

Just vicious. And heartbreaking.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

How did she get stuck in a bathroom? And what did it have to do with her cerebral palsy? I'm guessing there has to be more to this story than what we're hearing there.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

She may have fell - I bet she was using a wheelchair and slipped off the toilet while transferring to her chair or vise versa. She had to alert staff to get her back up- it depends on how bad her Cerbral Palsy is.

This is definitely illegal and its a breech of her human rights. The whole point for the alert button is for this very kind of situation.

And if they dont provide that then the store is in trouble, it sounds like they didnt consider the repercussions of someone actually using it and they didnt train the staff accordingly. Poor woman

Silver Member

What's the emergency bell for then? If she didn't fall and was just stuck, I can see how it would happen. Most bathrooms are not big enough for people walking, let alone those using mobility aids.

Poor Woman, I love M&S food

What a harsh letter

Hit By Ban Bus!

I love how people don't question the other point of view just because the woman was in a wheel chair. Suddenly she's an angel incapable of any sort of deviousness?

The letter is a physical document and sounds pretty harsh to me. Almost angry. Since she was a frequent custome it would seem odd to me that the manager would do this after a one time incident? No? Especially in this day and age with the litigious system we have.

I'm going to look more into this. It sounds too cut and dry.

Found more

Cerebral palsy sufferer Susan Curran, 58, was told she was barred after she got stuck in an M&S disabled lavatory and rang the emergency bell.
    She was helped out but a manageress then told her she was not allowed back to the store on her own because staff were not trained to deal with her and workers were being put at risk.
    Miss Curran was also given a letter informing her she was the subject of a "trespass order".
    It said: "Your right as a member of the public to enter into any of our premises is now withdrawn.
    "You are not permitted to enter into any of our stores again. If you choose to ignore this notice you will be asked to leave."
    M&S has since apologised to Miss Curran, saying that the trespass order was issued by mistake. But the supermarket giant said it still wanted her to have a chaperone at stores.
    Miss Curran, from Stockport, Greater Manchester, said the incident happened at her local store where she goes regularly to have a coffee and toasted sandwich.
    She said: "I couldn't believe what happened to me. I've been going to M&S for years and I love going there to meet my friend in the cafe.
    "I was in tears when the manageress told me I was not welcome any more. I was made to feel like a criminal. It's not my fault I'm in a wheelchair."
    A spokeswoman for M&S said: "Miss Curran is a regular customer who our staff know well. The trespass order was issued in error. We are sorry and it was never out intention for Miss Curran to feel she was not welcome in our store.
    "Our store manager has contacted her in person to reassure her she is welcome in the store.
    "As she has a condition that requires specific care that retail staff in M&S or any other store are not trained to provide, we have asked that wherever possible she is accompanied by someone who would be better equipped to help her if she feels unwell."
    Disabled woman 'banned' from M&S - Telegraph

An error or they are retracting what they first said? Who knows

that article really doesn't explain much, imo. what does "trespass orders was issued in error" even mean? somebody did initially ban her from returning to the business, so somebody is at fault, even if corporate did rescind the trespass order.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information