Thread: Korean actress commits suicide

Default Korean actress commits suicide

One of South Korea's most popular actresses was found dead Thursday in an apparent suicide, police said.
    Choi Jin-sil, whose fame earned her the nickname "The Nation's Actress," is believed to have hanged herself in the bathroom of her Seoul home, said Yang Jae-ho, chief investigator at Seoul's Seocho Police Station.
    "It's obviously suicide," Yang told reporters, citing a doctor's examination of Choi's body and testimony from family members and friends. He said an investigation was under way.
    No formal suicide note has been found, but Choi sent her makeup assistant cell phone text messages twice Wednesday night asking her to "take care of (my) children no matter what happens" and telling her that "I'm sorry," the investigator said.
    Her death comes a month after the suicide of a fellow actor rumored to have owed her a large amount of money.
    Choi's mother told police that the actress returned home drunk around midnight Wednesday, crying and denying the rumor, before going into the bathroom, Yang said.
    Choi made her debut in the late 1980s and as a bright-eyed ingenue, quickly becoming one of South Korea's best-loved actresses. She starred in a number of box-office hits, including the films "My Love, My Bride" of 1990 and "How to Top My Wife" of 1994, and TV dramas such as "Jealousy," "My Rosy Life" and last year's "Bad Woman, Good Woman."
    The actress was preparing for the second season of the TV drama "The Last Scandal of My Life" in which she played a woman who finds love with a top actor after a painful divorce.
    Choi herself had gone through a difficult divorce in recent years. She had married baseball star Cho Sung-min in 2000 while he was playing for the Japanese pro baseball team Yomiuri Giants, but they divorced in 2004, with the deterioration of their relationship becoming tabloid fodder. They had two children.
    A friend of Choi's told police that the actress had worried about raising the children after the divorce and about her future as an actress and often said she wanted to die, police investigator Yang said.
    Her mother also told police that Choi had shown signs of depression after the divorce and had been taking a sedative, Yang said.
    Choi reportedly had been under stress following the rumors that she had lent money to actor Ahn Jae-hwan, who was found dead in his car last month after committing suicide.
    Choi denied the rumors and asked police to investigate who circulated the claims that Ahn killed himself after Choi pressured him to repay the debt.
    Yang said a securities firm employee and another suspect are under investigation for defamation.

An ambulance carrying the body of top South Korean actress Choi Jin-sil leaves her home for a hospital as surrounded by media and police officers in Seoul, South Korea, Thursday, Oct. 2, 2008.

ohnotheydidnt: Famous Korean Actress Commits Suicide
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

Another bites the dust.

I love to have those shoes.

She should have stayed around to take care of her own children! This is just tragic.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

sad that the kids have lost their mom.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Selfish! If your children can't give you a reason to suck it up and deal, what will.

No way am I offing myself over some guy, someone who owes me money, rumors, or anything else.

Sad

Elite Member

A friend of Choi's told police that the actress had worried about raising the children after the divorce and about her future as an actress and often said she wanted to die, police investigator Yang said.

Her mother also told police that Choi had shown signs of depression after the divorce and had been taking a sedative, Yang said.
    Why didn't someone in her family suggest therapy? I don't see how sedative/sleeping pills would have helped in this situation. Seeking counseling and proper meds may have prevented this.

so was she buried in the shoes?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

When I heard this yesterday, I was so shocked. I grew up watching Korean dramas with her and she's always sort of been "Korea's little darling." Tragic.
    debauched.

Thread Information