Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: 8-Year-Old Girl, Mother and Family Member All Found Dead In NJ Pool News

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    It's not talked about a lot but access to pools and real structured swimming instruction is not really available to lower socioeconomic classes. There are always exceptions, but I think it's far more common for the poorer minority demographic to not have access (to pools or $/time for lessons) and not prioritize learning to swim.
    I've read about this being the case with the poor black demographic, and anecdotally I know it's extremely common for the poor Mexican demographic in L.A.
    Iím black, and grew up poor. It costed $0.25 to go to the public pool. This was around 1985. I learned to swim from other kids, and my siblings at that pool. The way I learned was to swim under water first, kick my feet, and do an outward stroke. Over the years became improvement.
    Fast forward to 2019 while on a trip to Mallorca. I had to swim alone in the Baltic Sea to get the rest of the group, because I was too afraid to jump from the cliff into the water. It took so long, but I got there.
    Iím glad I learned at a pool in a bad neighborhood (but pissed because some kids stole our Now and Laters that were hidden under our towels).
    sprynkles and mostroop like this.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Quote Originally Posted by burnt_toast View Post
    Swim lessons were mandatory for my brothers and I. My mom was adamant that we knew how to swim from a very very young age ... I think I started swimming at about two so I can't even imagine what it's like not knowing how to swim. I agree, it's a tremendously valuable skill and I would imagine learning as an adult would be so gratifying.
    Same here. We had a pool and my parents got me swimming lessons as soon as they would take a small child.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Ex-Lifeguard, swim teacher, and competitive swimmer here (12+ years). This story breaks my heart because I strongly feel that swimming is such a life skill. I understand the difficulties facing communities with lower soci-economic classes and I wish that swimming lessons were a mandatory part of public schooling. There was a district next to mine growing up that sent kids in for lessons at least part of the year, so every elementary aged kid was exposed to lessons at one point during each year. It's not perfect but was a good start. Open water swimming is a different story and even I'm more wary in a river, lake, or the ocean.

When my own kids were 3, the minimum age, they started swimming lessons. They aren't amazing, not club level, but can swim just fine at 11 and 8. My son is in boy scouts and I'm the merit badge instructor for swimming and it's so hard to see some of these older boys who are 12+ that can barely swim. You can see the fear and it will only get harder for them. Adults are difficult to teach as they have so much ingrained fear of the water but it's not impossible. I encourage any of you adults on here that aren't swimmers to at least try lessons to get some basic skills other than doggy paddle. It will be hard but it's so worth it to overcome this obstacle.
    czb, sputnik, sprynkles and 2 others like this.

czb

i learned super early, like as a toddler, and i am grateful. i had a friend who never learned, and i remember when we went to the beach in HS she was so frightened. she would barely put her feet in the water.

pinkBS, cool that the pool near you was so cheap. but there wasn't a cheap pool like that where i lived.
    sputnik and sprynkles like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mostroop View Post
    I almost drowned when I was younger. I used to start gasping for air if the water hit my chin.

Fear of someone drowning was/is a real fear of mine
    I almost drowned too, in a friend's inground pool. Someone I didn't even know pulled me out.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

So Random.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    i learned super early, like as a toddler, and i am grateful. i had a friend who never learned, and i remember when we went to the beach in HS she was so frightened. she would barely put her feet in the water.

pinkBS, cool that the pool near you was so cheap. but there wasn't a cheap pool like that where i lived.
    It was probably cheap because it was in the ghetto.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Quote Originally Posted by dolem View Post
    Ex-Lifeguard, swim teacher, and competitive swimmer here (12+ years). This story breaks my heart because I strongly feel that swimming is such a life skill. I understand the difficulties facing communities with lower soci-economic classes and I wish that swimming lessons were a mandatory part of public schooling. There was a district next to mine growing up that sent kids in for lessons at least part of the year, so every elementary aged kid was exposed to lessons at one point during each year. It's not perfect but was a good start. Open water swimming is a different story and even I'm more wary in a river, lake, or the ocean.

When my own kids were 3, the minimum age, they started swimming lessons. They aren't amazing, not club level, but can swim just fine at 11 and 8. My son is in boy scouts and I'm the merit badge instructor for swimming and it's so hard to see some of these older boys who are 12+ that can barely swim. You can see the fear and it will only get harder for them. Adults are difficult to teach as they have so much ingrained fear of the water but it's not impossible. I encourage any of you adults on here that aren't swimmers to at least try lessons to get some basic skills other than doggy paddle. It will be hard but it's so worth it to overcome this obstacle.
    As a swim teacher, what approach do you recommend for adults who were traumatized by a crappy swim teacher? The one I had basically threw us in and expected us to figure out how to swim. It worked for some, but not for me and others. I sank, swallowed a bunch of water, couldn't breathe, and had to be pulled out. I tried after that, but developed such a phobia that I gave up.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Adults are honestly the hardest to teach, but that doesn't mean it is impossible. I'd honestly just start out feeling comfortable in the water, and that might take a while. Go slow! Get comfortable up to your shoulders, dip each ear in, rest your head back. I think putting your face in is the hardest part, don't start with your whole face, just go up to your nose and the biggest trick.... HUM! If you're humming when your nose goes under you will force air out your nostrils and won't get water in your nose (which even for the best swimmer sucks).

After you feel comfortable with those things practice floating, stick that tummy up (ha, I'm use to teaching littles), arms out and relax. Biggest key here is to relax.

Adults want results and this might take a while and won't feel great when you have a teenager or college student teaching you. If it's something you want to learn how to do you can do it! I promise. And, tell your teacher you feel nervous, they are there to help you. Usually the teachers for adults are fairly experienced (ie not 16 and just starting out) and they are there to help you learn. If you can afford it see if there are private lessons you could get into b/c that 1:1 support would be huge.

I know adults who have learned to swim and it was a big challenge but in the end they were so happy to have overcome their fear and more importantly, feel comfortable with their own kids in the water. If you need/want any more advice I'm always here. It's the ONLY sport I'm good at and can give advice on. Best of luck!

(ps...I hate your teacher who did that to you, what a way to traumatize kids into hating/fearing the water)
    sputnik, czb, Sarzy and 3 others like this.

czb

yeah - i agree with what dolem said.

and throwing a kid in the water is barbaric. that used to be how they would teach. i remember when i was a kid at Y camp and they THREW you in the water. and then you had to swim to the pole the lifeguard standing on the deck held that touched the water. the kid would have to swim to the pole and then the lifeguard lifted you out by pulling the pole out of the water. they used to do this because they believed in being hands off. but that is not the way they teach now. it is all about trying to make the swimmer calm. and easing them into the water.

I can't remember how old I was, but I was vacationing with my parents in Colorado, and I was in the hotel swimming pool with my dad and brother, and i was basically riding piggyback on my dad in the water. I told him I thought I could swim, so what does he do? He immediately and without warning submerges himself underwater and I go straight down with him, swallowing water and choking. I was probably around 6 years old or so. I thought I was drowning. I was really pissed at him. He was a great dad who had his flaws, but this was not one of his finest moments. Ironically, I was with my grandmother (mom's mom) when I learned how to swim in the kiddie pool about 6 months later.

I can't even remember a time not knowing how to swim. This was a like a rite of passage for every kid I knew growing up. It was only my youngest brother who waded around in water wings and vests until about age 6 or 7, but even he learned and was jumping/diving and deep end of the pool swimming with ease while still in elementary school.

I guess my mom had her hands full by the time there were three of us because me and the brother just under me learned when we were not much more than babies.

We got an in ground pool when I was about 10 years old. Even after my youngest brother got the hang of things we still were not allowed to swim as kids without an adult close by. I'm sure we probably did when we were teenagers though.

We had one of these handy in the pool area though:

We used to practice fishing one another out with it kind of for fun.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information