Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 8.8-magnitude earthquake hits central Chile

Chileans can't move very far inland and still be in Chile

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Anyone else fascinated yet disgusted by the way the news channels are practically creaming themselves at the thought of a tsunami hitting, live on tv?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Anyone else fascinated yet disgusted by the way the news channels are practically creaming themselves at the thought of a tsunami hitting, live on tv?
    Yes. I ran across streaming live coverage that had some tard standing on the shore talking about "those rocks down there have water on them but half an hour ago they were sticking up" and I killed the window. This is not news. Be there, film, report ONLY if something actually happens. I blame O.J. Simpson. That damn Bronco chase destroyed TV news.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Earthquake in Chile - The Big Picture - Boston.com

More images of Chile's earthquake / The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com
    Last edited by twitchy2.0; February 27th, 2010 at 04:25 PM.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

security camera footage of when the earthquake hit:
    BBC News - The moment when the quake hit Chile
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Am I a retard (ok don't answer that) but wasn't there also an earthquake in, or around Japan as well yesterday? I could have sworn I had read that.....cuz like Jesus, thats a whole lot of earth quaking if that is the case.

SPUT!! So glad you are ok. Must have been very surreal. Hang in there, sounds like your head is in the right place and you have friends to hang with.

And hello, WE COULD PUT ON our own We Are The World for Chile/Sputnik. Skype it or something. With lots of vodka.

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Yeah..see my post in one million replies. And there was a small tsunami, they were just too stupid(the media) to realize what it was and where it was. They obviously had images in their minds of massive surges sweeping away everything before them ala Indonesia in 2004. How stupid are these media people?

And people HAVE been killed by THIS tsunami. Juan Fernandez islands 400 miles off Chile...3 dead and ten missing last I saw, with half of a town flooded.

Hawaii got lucky, but I bet instead of being grateful, many will bitch about the lack of a show and the big inconvenience of it all.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Thank goodness you're okay sput! I hadn't turned on the TV all day so I'm late to this but I thought of you right away! You're right that the news is focusing on the most horrible looking damage but I'm glad it's not that bad and you're enjoying fajitas and beer

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    Am I a retard (ok don't answer that) but wasn't there also an earthquake in, or around Japan as well yesterday? I could have sworn I had read that.....cuz like Jesus, thats a whole lot of earth quaking if that is the case.

SPUT!! So glad you are ok. Must have been very surreal. Hang in there, sounds like your head is in the right place and you have friends to hang with.

And hello, WE COULD PUT ON our own We Are The World for Chile/Sputnik. Skype it or something. With lots of vodka.
    Yeah, there was an earthquake in Japan:

Strong earthquake strikes off Japan; 2 injured

No reports of serious damage after magnitude-6.9 temblor

TOKYO - A powerful earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 6.9 rattled Japan's southern islands early Saturday, injuring two and initially prompting fears of a tsunami.
    There were no reports of serious damage from the quake, believed to be the strongest in a century to hit Japan's southern Okinawa Island. Japan's Kyodo news agency said two people were hurt, but there were no reports of any deaths.
    The quake occurred off the coast of the island of Okinawa at a depth of 6.2 miles at 5:31 a.m., the Meteorological Agency said.
    The only damage reported hours after the quake was ruptured water pipes in two locations, Okinawa police official Noritomi Kikuzato said.
    The Meteorological Agency had initially predicted a tsunami up to 6 feet near the Okinawan coast and warned nearby residents to stay away from the coastline. The agency lifted the warning within two hours after observing only a small swelling of the tide.
    'Houses swayed sideways'
    "I was fast asleep when the quake hit, and I jumped out of bed. It felt like the shaking lasted forever," Ryota Ueno, a town official in the Nishihara district of Okinawa, told public broadcaster NHK.
    Masaaki Nakasone, an official in Nanjo town, said his house shook violently but all furniture and other objects stayed intact.
    "First there was a vertical shaking, then the house swayed sideways," Nakasone said.
    Okinawa is about 1,000 miles southwest of Tokyo.
    The quake registered a 5 on the Japanese scale, which measures intensity in specific locations and goes up to 7. Kyodo said that made it the strongest to hit the island since 1909.
    Japan is one of the world's most earthquake-prone countries. In 1995, a magnitude-7.2 quake in the western port city of Kobe killed 6,400 people.
    Strong earthquake strikes off Japan

So glad your ok Sput!
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Thank you King!! Least I know I wasn't completely fucking losing my mind last night.

Regardless, its just horrifying.

Yah, Sput, glad you're okay. Have a fajita for me!
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Yeah, sorry CNN, no tsunami for you. There are people, on Twitter, bitching about "no wave, boring viewing". You've got to be kidding. I'm sure they'd feel very differently if it was their hometowns. Speaking of Twitter, it's become an outlet for people with no clue to spread false alerts and false information about what's really happening. People are so fucking dramatic.

My city in Australia is under tsunami warnings. Or marine warning, I should say which basically means beaches are closed and dangerous waves (but not large enough to cause great damage) are on the way. They were supposed to hit at 8:15am this morning (Sunday) and it's 2pm now, and nothing yet. I'm surprised this didn't cause a larger tsunami, it was a huge undersea quake. And I thought Hawaii was doomed when I first heard they were getting a tsunami and it was going to be significant. I guess they really did just get lucky.

well, still waiting to find out what the extent of the damage is and the death toll keeps changing, they are at 300 right now. but still, for the 5th strongest earthquake ever (or at least since they started measuring them) i think on the whole we were really lucky.
    the aftershocks are pretty much constant though, there have been some 76 of them so far. sometimes i think i might be imagining the gentle rocking so now i keep a glass of water nearby so i can check it to see if the water's moving.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    well, still waiting to find out what the extent of the damage is and the death toll keeps changing, they are at 300 right now. but still, for the 5th strongest earthquake ever (or at least since they started measuring them) i think on the whole we were really lucky.
    the aftershocks are pretty much constant though, there have been some 76 of them so far. sometimes i think i might be imagining the gentle rocking so now i keep a glass of water nearby so i can check it to see if the water's moving.
    This will go on a long time. Apparently Alaska had after shocks for 18 months!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

yeah. my mother's experienced a couple of pretty strong quakes and she said with the worse one, there were shocks for a good month afterward.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information