Thread: Church rejects donation from lottery winner

Default Church rejects donation from lottery winner

After Robert Powell hit the Florida Lottery jackpot last month and took home more than $6 million, he thought of his church.
    And he offered to drop his tithe, around $600,000, in the collection plate of First Baptist Orange Park.
    But the church and Pastor David Tarkington politely declined and told Powell they will not accept the lottery winnings.
    Many churches do not approve of the lottery and gambling but on the other hand Pastor Dr. Lorenzo Hall of the El-Beth-El Divine Holiness Church says $600,000 can do a lot of good.
    "I'm against the lottery, but if one of my members won the lottery, I wish and I hope he would give 10% to the church, we could do a lot of things with that money," says Hall.
    As a Holiness minister, Dr. Hall says he does not ask where members get the money they decide to donate.
    He said he would welcome Powell's donation to his inner city church anytime.
    "We are in the process now of building a youth center, and you would be surprised at the people that can be helped with $600,000," says Hall.
    Bethel Baptist Church member Lottie Walker says if she won, the first thing she would do is give lottery money to her church.
    "Anything extra is bonus so that would be an extra blessing of offering after that, so if I did win lotto, sweepstakes I would tithe to my church," says Walker.
    First Baptist Orange Park Pastor David Tarkington would not say exactly why the church refused the money, saying only he didn't want to talk about members' gifts.

Church Rejects Donation from Lottery Winner | Firstcoastnews.com | Top Stories

Hit By Ban Bus!

Lol. This sort of happened in my town-a parishioner of a very large Baptist mega-church pretended to *find* a winning lottery ticket and the mega-church pretended to believe him so they could piously accept his tens of thousands of dollars in dirty money.

This wouldn't be a problem if I won the lottery, because the LAST thing I'd do is donate any cash to a church.
    Last edited by kingcap72; August 17th, 2008 at 01:48 AM.

I know a few animal shelters that could use the money!

Their loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    This wouldn't be a problem if I won the lottery, because the LAST think I'd do is donate any cash to a church.
    Same here.

The Lord moves in mysterious ways. They might have just snubbed the Lord!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Our minister has the same opinion of lottery winnings- he would not allow such a contribution. He says the lottery takes food off the table of poor children.

Bronze Member

Well that's the Baptist for you. The Methodist Church would prob. ask if that is all you are giving?? If Catholic just go to confession to be absolved of the sin of gambling, then drop your donation to the Pope on your way out. This guy could have gotten around this slap down by just donating anonymously. To often people want to receive recognition for giving .

Well, at least they are consistent ... I actually commend a church that teaches the 'sins' of gambling and won't take lottery donations. They are morons, but they are consistently moronic.

This wouldn't be a problem if I won the lottery, because the LAST thing I'd do is donate any cash to a church.
    A-fucking-men. Ditto.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by S&R's Mom View Post
    Well that's the Baptist for you. The Methodist Church would prob. ask if that is all you are giving?? If Catholic just go to confession to be absolved of the sin of gambling, then drop your donation to the Pope on your way out. This guy could have gotten around this slap down by just donating anonymously. To often people want to receive recognition for giving .

Gambling isn't a sin in the Catholic Church.......But unfair wagers and cheating are...

It's one area where the Catholic Church differs from most other Christian sects

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Elite Member

I have to agree. I would find other ways to donate that 10%. Because you just know that the average preacher would just find a way to pocket that money. Like this shyster:

As a Holiness minister, Dr. Hall says he does not ask where members get the money they decide to donate.

He said he would welcome Powell's donation to his inner city church anytime.
    Bet he would. *Rolls eyes*

Some churches are hard-core about the gambling issue, so I give the first minister credit for sticking to his beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    Well, at least they are consistent ... I actually commend a church that teaches the 'sins' of gambling and won't take lottery donations. They are morons, but they are consistently moronic.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

What about B-I-N-G-O

Thread Information