Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Texas school district to let teachers carry guns

Default Texas school district to let teachers carry guns

A Texas school district will let teachers bring guns to class this fall, the district's superintendent said on Friday, in what experts said appeared to be a first in the United States.
    The board of the small rural Harrold Independent School District unanimously approved the plan and parents have not objected, said the district's superintendent, David Thweatt.
    School experts backed Thweatt's claim that Harrold, a system of about 110 students 150 miles northwest of Fort Worth, may be the first to let teachers bring guns to the classroom.
    Thweatt said it is a matter of safety.
    "We have a lock-down situation, we have cameras, but the question we had to answer is, 'What if somebody gets in? What are we going to do?" he said. "It's just common sense."
    Teachers who wish to bring guns will have to be certified to carry a concealed handgun in Texas and get crisis training and permission from school officials, he said.
    Recent school shootings in the United States have prompted some calls for school officials to allow students and teachers to carry legally concealed weapons into classrooms.
    The U.S. Congress once barred guns at schools nationwide, but the U.S. Supreme Court struck the law down, although state and local communities could adopt their own laws. Texas bars guns at schools without the school's permission.
    (Reporting by Jim Forsyth in San Antonio; writing by Bruce Nichols in Houston, editing by Vicki Allen)

Texas school district to let teachers carry guns | Reuters

And what happens if a kid gets this gun off the teacher and decides to shoot everyone up? What happens if a teacher just snaps and starts shooting students?

Only in America...

A*O

I think it's a great idea to let teachers shoot their disruptive students. That'll learn 'em.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

If this was anywhere but Texas I'd be shocked.

thats a grand idea. kid gets a D, rather than get beat up at home, have the teacher blow his ass away
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

That's one way to eliminate the dumbasses from the world. I've changed my mind, I'm all for this!

Gold Member

The response at work so far has been a big fat "so?"

^^^^
    well, you're in texas aren't you?

i can't wait until the first columbine-type shooting involving a teacher gone mental. the principal and other teachers will be on the news, acting shocked, because he seemed so nice, and he passed his 'crisis training' course
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A*O

If a teacher finally snaps after years of abuse from asshole students and their asshole parents I think most sane people would give the teacher a medal and a promotion.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^^
    well, you're in texas aren't you?

i can't wait until the first columbine-type shooting involving a teacher gone mental. the principal and other teachers will be on the news, acting shocked, because he seemed so nice, and he passed his 'crisis training' course
    You can't wait for a teacher to kill his students? Kind of morbid, don't you think? You want schoolchildren to die so you can point and laugh and say "I told you so?" I'm just trying to understand your frame of mind here.

You know, none of those big famous school shootings happened in Texas. I believe our last big school shooting was in 1966, and the guy who did it had a brain tumor that affected his judgement.

I wonder when people are going to shed the completely inaccurate image of Texas being the gun-slingin' dusty old West. It's ignorant.

^^
    in case you missed it, the eyeroll smilie was supposed to imply that i wasn't speaking in total earnestness. this is a gossip board, i don't expect everything i say to be taken 100% literally. but yeah, basically, if this trend catches on and spreads to other schools it won't be long until a teacher somewhere goes all michael douglas in 'fallen' and we get the first school teacher shooting. not because i want to say 'i told you so' but because i don't think more people with guns = safety.
    more people with guns = more shootings.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Gold Member

^^
    in case you missed it, the eyeroll smilie was supposed to imply that i wasn't speaking in total earnestness. this is a gossip board, i don't expect everything i say to be taken 100% literally. but yeah, basically, if this trend catches on and spreads to other schools it won't be long until a teacher somewhere goes all michael douglas in 'fallen' and we get the first school teacher shooting. not because i want to say 'i told you so' but because i don't think more people with guns = safety.
    more people with guns = more shootings.
    More guns = more shootings? Explain Switzerland.

Speaking personally, I'm going to be purchasing guns soon. Since my ex moved out and took the guns with him, one of my neighbors was home-invaded (by an unarmed individual). I'll feel a lot more secure with a 12-gauge and a 9mm loaded with hollow points.

Someone comes in here uninvited, they're leaving on a stretcher. Or in a body bag. Thank god the law here will back me up on that.

^^
    they're thinking of revising their weapons law (allowing men to keep their military weapon at home) because of the high rate of suicides among males, which is one of the highest in europe (if not the highest). also, there have been a sting of murders involving men killing their wives/girlfriends/exes, then killing themselves or trying to. so right now it's a pretty major issue and they're discussing whether or not men should have to leave their weapons at the arsenal.

I think this could be very educational. The students could now be eye witnesses to "Shoot out at the OK corral" ..I do think they might end up having the best behaved students in the world. And if one teacher starts counting "one-two..." instant coorperation!! This could catch on.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Gold Member

^^
    they're thinking of revising their weapons law (allowing men to keep their military weapon at home) because of the high rate of suicides among males, which is one of the highest in europe (if not the highest). also, there have been a sting of murders involving men killing their wives/girlfriends/exes, then killing themselves or trying to. so right now it's a pretty major issue and they're discussing whether or not men should have to leave their weapons at the arsenal.
    So is their murder rate higher than London's now, or lower?

The murder rate in my part of Dallas is lower than that for London overall; most violent crime in this city takes place on the other side of the river.

Also, while having a firearm makes it easier to kill people, it's not required. Plenty of people have been knifed to death in the UK.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information