Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: McDonald's apologises after group of mothers staged sit-in over breast-feeding ban

Default McDonald's apologises after group of mothers staged sit-in over breast-feeding ban

A McDonald's manager who told a young woman to stop breastfeeding found himself faced with a demonstration of Mum Power.

Maddie Reynolds returned with five friends she had met at ante-natal classes and they staged a mass feed-in at the restaurant.

'We all walked in to McDonald's together and sat around one table right by the counter,' said 27-year-old Miss Reynolds, a nursery nurse from Bournemouth.

Mum power: The friends from ante-natal class converge on McDonald's for the feed-in. Maddie Reynolds is fourth from the left
    'We began breastfeeding our babies all at the same time to make a point. We caused a bit of a stir among customers but none of the staff looked our way.

'Someone told a manager what we were doing but he just muttered that he couldn't comment.'

The incident happened at the McDonald's branch inside an Asda supermarket in the resort.

Miss Reynolds was feeding ten-week-old Sophie when the staff member intervened.

'I had a proper maternity top on which is designed for breastfeeding so no one could see anything,' she said.

'I was angry when the man told me to leave but knew I wasn't doing anything wrong so I carried on. But he just stood there and watched me for a few minutes.

Angry: Maddie Reynolds, with daughter Sophie, was asked to leave for breastfeeding

'I felt so humiliated but put my head down and didn't stop and eventually he walked off. I felt so cross and upset.'

Miss Reynolds lives with partner Karl Brackenborough, 29, who works as a television fitter and repairer.

She added: 'I choose to breastfeed Sophie because I know it's healthy and the best thing for her.

'I remember reading about a similar incident a while back where a woman was thrown out of a coffee shop for breastfeeding.

'She was so upset by it that she started using bottles instead. I wasn't prepared to let something like that happen to anyone else again.'

Fellow protester Catherine Davis, 19, took her seven-week-old daughter Amelia along to the sit-in.

She said: 'I just thought the way Maddie was treated was disgusting. It's the most natural thing to feed your baby and there's nothing wrong with it.

'Everyone says breast is best. I have breastfed in public and no one ever has ever said anything to me. I think it's fine as long as you are discreet.'

Alison Purves, spokesman for McDonald's, said the company was 'disappointed' by the junior manager's actions. Breastfeeding mothers were welcomed in all its restaurants.

'This manager was working unilaterally and not following company policy at all. If another customer ever expressed their discomfort about breastfeeding we would encourage them to move rather than the mum.

'What we don't want to do is to make mums feel as if they have to hide away.'
    She said the manager involved had been told he had made a mistake.

'We are confident he will make the right decision in future.'

McDonald's apologises after group of mothers staged sit-in over breast-feeding ban | Mail Online

Sorry, but in my opinion a McDonalds eatery is not an appropriate place to breastfeed. It just isn't. When I'm eating a Big Mac, I don't want to see a child eating a McTit. There is usually a play area outside with chairs, that would have been a more appropriate place. An even better idea would have been to feed the child before she got her lunch, or to bring a bottle of pumped milk instead.

I know it's almost discriminatory, but I just don't think it's pleasant for other people to be subjected to breastfeeding while they're trying to eat. I'm cool with breastfeeding anywhere else, I just can't accept it in an eatery. I've been in a KFC where a mother was breastfeeding and it was gross. Her rolls were hanging out and you could see her nipple when the child was trying to latch. I know this woman has said she was discreet, BUT not all women are.
    ssabmud

You should be able to breastfeed in any restaurant. It's hardly the most disgusting thing on earth is it? It's natural and if done discreetly you can't even see the woman's breasts. I know some aren't discreet but that shouldn't count against the majority that are.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    You should be able to breastfeed in any restaurant. It's hardly the most disgusting thing on earth is it? It's natural and if done discreetly you can't even see the woman's breasts. I know some aren't discreet but that shouldn't count against the majority that are.
    It's not disgusting, but I dont want to see it while I'm eating.

Easy. Avert your eyes. DON'T LOOK!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Oh shit another boobie mommy thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I breastfed my son; I was worried about breast feeding in public why? Because of ignorant assholes who think it is disgusting. When I did actually have to do it I was a fucking nervous wreck over my son possibly flinging the blanket off and exposing me to the public heaven forbid I offend anyone by FEEDING MY CHILD WITH MY TITS THAT ARE THERE FOR THAT VERY PURPOSE. So yeah, I pumped before outings.
    If anyone chimes in with that go do it in the bathroom shit again you deserve an internet slapping.
    Fucking breastfeeding.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

I honestly think if breastfeeding is the worst thing you ever see in a resturant, you are very lucky. Maybe you would rather hear a tiny baby scream? Or have women stay at home for a year? Good grief. If this is so offending to your sensitivities move to a different chair facing away! Most Mothers I see go out of their way to be discrete. I have never seen one hike up their top to the neck. These are not flashers-just Mothers.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Gold Member

But some people are still not comfortable with it no matter how discreet someone is being. I don't like to look at it and I've moved tables before so I wouldn't have to see it.

Forget it. I just clicked on the threads below and can see where this thread is going and I'm not getting into this debate. And I'm NOT a fucking 'ignorant asshole'. I do agree that it is natural, however not everything that is natural is pleasant for people to view, particularly if they're eating. I just think there are better options than breastfeeding in the middle of a McDonald's restaurant FFS.
    ssabmud

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

OK-lets just agree to disagree!

Give me a breastfeeding mum any time over a screaming child.
    "the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone"

babies have the right to eat, too. and, what better place than a restaurant (if you can consider mickey d's a restaurant ).
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Quote Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post
    But some people are still not comfortable with it no matter how discreet someone is being. I don't like to look at it and I've moved tables before so I wouldn't have to see it.
    That's their problem though. The mother has every right to feed her child when she eats. It's easy to not look. I've seen some worse sights in restaurants than a baby being fed.
    Last edited by Sarzy; July 19th, 2008 at 01:35 PM.

Gold Member

That's their problem though. The mother has every right to feed her child when she eats. It's easy to not look. I've seen some worse sights in restaurants than a baby being fed.
    Sure, there's worse things to see. However, I don't like it and it makes me uncomfortable, so I either move to another table or I leave. I don't fuss at them, but I do wish they wouldn't whip out their boobs in public.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information