Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Proud parents show off their black and white twins

Default Proud parents show off their black and white twins

Welcoming new twins into the world is always a momentous event.

But when brothers Ryan and Leo arrived they had an extra surprise for their parents - they were born with different coloured skin.

For one twin to be black and one to be white is so rare that it is thought by medical experts to be a one in a million occurrence.

Proud parents: Florence Addo-Gerth and Stephan Gerth with their newborn twins Ryan (right) and Leo (left)
    Proud parents Florence Addo-Gerth and Stephan Gerth are over-joyed by the new additions to their family, which includes 18-year-old brother Randy.
    Mother Florence, 35, hails from Ghana, west Africa while father Stephan is German.
    Stephan, 40, said that although the couple were surprised by the children's different colourings the most important thing was that the babies were healthy.

Big yawn: Ryan (left) and Leo enjoy a nap, oblivious to the sensation their births have caused

The infants caused a sensation at the Sana Hospital in Lichtenberg, Germany, where they were born on Friday last week, with guests crowding around to greet the new arrivals.

And it is not only their skin colours that are different - the twins are already revealing opposing personalities.
    Light-skinned Ryan is described as a 'spirited' baby, while laidback brother Leo is a lot calmer.
    Senior doctor Birgit Weber, who helped deliver the tots by ceasarean section, said that in 20 years of practice this was the first time she had seen differently coloured twins.

Pictured: Proud parents show off their million-to-one black and white twins | Mail Online

Well look at that. I bet the lighter one darkens up, though. Isn't that what usually happens?
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    Well look at that. I bet the lighter one darkens up, though. Isn't that what usually happens?
    Yep, I was going to say the same thing. I have seen black babies that looked caucasian at birth.

Also, IMO, I don't think the "white" baby really looks "white"..... he actually does look like a biracial/light skinned black to me.

Cute babies!

I want another!

I bet it's easy to tell them apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    the couple were surprised by the children's different colourings
    No shit...

They could both change color and go either way.

The parents have no excuse if they can not tell them apart.

Genetics at work. Very cool.

This season on Big Brother a woman on there says she has the same thing with her 4 month old twins.

^^It's not that rare, the lady on BB10 with twins which one is white, and the other is black(Seen their pics, she is telling the truth). Also, kids born to inter-racial couples 'usually' come out biracial, not one or the other. Usually if a black baby is born very light, and will indeed darken up..there would be tell tale signs of such..ie a darker or very dark extremity(ear...)

Very cute no matter what shade of color they are... these baby threads are making me want one! LEAVES THREAD NOW!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Awwww!!! The black one in the first picture!! He's got so much personality! I want to steal him!!!

Both are beautiful!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    Yes...it looks like it'll be a mocha baby, not a white one. A couple consisting of a black person and a white person almost never make a white baby. Skin color isn't inherited Mendelian-ly (made up that word) as it isn't restricted to a single dominant or recessive gene. Their kids will always fall between their two colors and won't ever be as dark as one parent or as light as the other.

Quote Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post
    Yes...it looks like it'll be a mocha baby, not a white one. A couple consisting of a black person and a white person almost never make a white baby. Skin color isn't inherited Mendelian-ly (made up that word) as it isn't restricted to a single dominant or recessive gene. Their kids will always fall between their two colors and won't ever be as dark as one parent or as light as the other.
    Simply not true.. you can look at the picture and tell that much. If so, the darker child would be much lighter... the darker baby might lighten up a shade, but normally when baby is born that dark, they tend to stay that complexion.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by SSDiva View Post
    Simply not true.. you can look at the picture and tell that much. If so, the darker child would be much lighter... the darker baby might lighten up a shade, but normally when baby is born that dark, they tend to stay that complexion.
    He's not as dark as his mother is.

My point that skin color (and eye color and hair color) are not inherited in Medelian fashion and it's "additive" rather than dominant/recessive. One partner's genes make a lot more pigment than the other's. Therefore the offspring fall between the two.

I also don't agree that you can tell what color a child's skin will be in the future when they're that young. If that was the case, I'd be maroon. My skin lightened gradually over the first few months of my life, but I was maroon when born and lightened to mauve by a few weeks old. I had a Hispanic friend whose baby was born very dark and he's much lighter now.

Quote Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post
    He's not as dark as his mother is.

My point that skin color (and eye color and hair color) are not inherited in Medelian fashion and it's "additive" rather than dominant/recessive. One partner's genes make a lot more pigment than the other's. Therefore the offspring fall between the two.

I also don't agree that you can tell what color a child's skin will be in the future when they're that young. If that was the case, I'd be maroon. My skin lightened gradually over the first few months of my life, but I was maroon when born and lightened to mauve by a few weeks old. I had a Hispanic friend whose baby was born very dark and he's much lighter now.
    I was born pink with a huge afro, (ears were brown) to a light complected mom, and a dark complected dad...Here some thirty plus years later..I'm BROWN!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information