Thread: "Priest Made me gay"

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default "Priest Made me gay"

So some poor socialite by the name of J. David Enright IV is actually suing the Catholic Church for $5 million dollars, claiming that his molestation by a priest when he was seven led to him being gay. Now, contrary to the slew of jokes we often make to our Catholic friends, there’s absolutely nothing funny about a priest taking advantage of a seven-year-old boy. Nor is there anything remotely comedic about that boy growing into a man who, over 40 years later, is still dealing with the trauma.

But if you can sue because the whole ordeal made you gay, what’s next? Are you going to sue the Pet Shop Boys? Amstel Light? The entire cast of Laguna Beach?

Unholy Way to Turn Gay [NYP]
    Somehow this feels like a plant, given the fresh anti-gay attitude of the church. Anyone signed up at the Post and able to post this for us?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

A lot of people think that men molesting little boys makes the little boys grow up to be homosexual. I've never seen any evidence to support this.

That's a bloody crock. You can't be turned gay anymore than you can be turned straight.

The worst that can happen in this case is you have a fear of intimacy and stunted social life, including dating and relationships/sex.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I have heard lesbian friends say that sexual molestation at a young age made them decide they were lesbian. Not sure I believe that, but it would be correct to say that the experience made them shy away from men and think that all men would hurt them...women are gentle and tender and never hurt you.
    Is it possible this guy is just flat out gay and is ashamed? The only way to handle it is to blame someone else? I don't CHOOSE to love another man-that dirty priest made me do it...

those lesbians are a crock too, and need to be slapped across the mouth.

You can't simply CREATE sexual attraction, it's hardwired.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Ok, I had posted that of course you haven't seen any evidence supporting this (it was posted a few hours ago but has now disappeared) because there is none. It goes along those lines of people thinking gay=pedophile, which is a huge load of horse shit, of course. Two very different animals.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I wonder why it is that so many people do associate gay=pedophile? I think because society is so afraid of what they think is "different" that they have to make it something ugly. We can't accept that someone found love with a member of the same sex and have a perfectly happy, normal life. They work, cook dinner together, fight over the remote together and bitch when they don't get their way...just like us "normal" folks...it would be nice if we could just be happy for someone because they did find love...

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    That's a bloody crock. You can't be turned gay anymore than you can be turned straight.

The worst that can happen in this case is you have a fear of intimacy and stunted social life, including dating and relationships/sex.
    ^^^^^
    ditto
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Quote Originally Posted by sweetrebel View Post
    Is it possible this guy is just flat out gay and is ashamed? The only way to handle it is to blame someone else? I don't CHOOSE to love another man-that dirty priest made me do it...
    I think you're on to something.
    People in general don't want to take responsiblity in their actions so wht take responsibility in your feelings either?
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Yar, that's the same thing as lebians who were abused as kids turned off by men forever, including sexually and somehow cerebral electrochemically. Doesn't happen, you either twig to the pheremones or you don't.. you can't MAKE yourself respond to those chemical scent trails.

It's just a "we're ashamed, we have an excuse, lets blame someone else" mentality

I may be completely wrong but I would thought that being molested by a man would put you off them completely rather than turn you towards them
    No man is worth your tears, but once you find one that is, he won't make you cry
    G_ F_CK Y__RS_LF - Would you like to buy a vowel??

Quote Originally Posted by Tiara View Post
    I may be completely wrong but I would thought that being molested by a man would put you off them completely rather than turn you towards them
    I'm sure to some extent it does, but more (in my experience) as a trust issue than a sex issue. My stepdad molested me and both my sisters and I have had HUGE trust issues most of my life. Although I know it was not that experience alone that led to that, it was a huge part.
    Instead of turn me off to men, there were certain aspects of sex that I had to have control over...basically no forcing me to do things...had to be at my pace...that is the only thing sexually that it affected.
    On the flip side, I can see the reason someone would turn to the same sex after abuse. They have been told by the abuser "this is love-this is how we show our love". Get in a child's mind, and you can fuck some thinking up-I know.

Well, the only thing I have is anecdotal. I work on a website that deals with mental health issues. Over the years we've had at least four gay men participating in our forum who were sexually abused by men when they were kids. Maybe just a coincidence since obviously our users are skewed towards those with some sort of mental health issue or maybe some children form their self-identity based upon their experiences? I had gay sex therefore I must be gay?

Quote Originally Posted by disruptivehair View Post
    A lot of people think that men molesting little boys makes the little boys grow up to be homosexual. I've never seen any evidence to support this.

I have heard lesbian friends say that sexual molestation at a young age made them decide they were lesbian.
    I absolutely believe that.My best friend was raped the first time at age 5 by a neighbor,her 2 older brothers molested her on and off growing up.As a teenager she was gang raped by 3 boys and then her fathers best friend (he gave her the choise her or her younger sister) She got married when she was 20 to the first guy who asked her after only knowing him for 3 days had 3 kids,he was a very nice man but she was hell bent on destroying herself.They eventually divorced and she went though a string of abusive relationships because I think she thought that's just the way it was supposed to be...

To make a long story short she switched sides about 14 years ago and has never been happier.

I'm sure to some extent it does, but more (in my experience) as a trust issue than a sex issue. My stepdad molested me and both my sisters and I have had HUGE trust issues most of my life. Although I know it was not that experience alone that led to that, it was a huge part.
    Instead of turn me off to men, there were certain aspects of sex that I had to have control over...basically no forcing me to do things...had to be at my pace...that is the only thing sexually that it affected.
    I think it depends on the individual...my father didn't molest me but did a lot of inappropriate things when I was a teenager and it didn't make me turn against men, like you I deal with trust issues.
    Last edited by euro-kitty; October 18th, 2005 at 06:04 PM.

Thread Information