Thread: Woman fired after shaving head for cancer charity

Default Woman fired after shaving head for cancer charity

Stacey Fearnall, of Owen Sound, Ont., says she canít believe she was laid off after she had her head shaved for a cancer fundraising event. Fearnall raised more than $2,700 for charity, but when she showed up for work and refused to sport a wig for her shift, her boss told her to take the summer off. (THE CANADIAN PRESS / The Sun Times-James Masters)

OWEN SOUND, Ont. ó When she took part in a local fundraiser for cancer research, all Stacey Fearnall thought she had to lose was a full head of hair.

Instead, the 36-year-old waitress at Nathaniels restaurant in Owen Sound, Ont., who raised more than $2,700 for the charity Cops for Cancer in exchange for her locks, was laid off when she showed up for work earlier this week with a shorn head.

"She had been a little nervous all day long, but I think she was still hoping in her heart that she'd walk in there and they'd be like, 'Oh, wow -- you look great,''' Fearnall's husband John said in an interview Thursday.

"But that's not the reaction she got.''

The mother of two, who was told by her boss to go home after she refused to wear a wig, was in tears when she returned home Tuesday just a half hour into her shift.

"When she went in she felt like there was something wrong with her,'' her husband said.

"Nobody would really look at her, make eye contact. They didn't really say anything and it made her feel kind of less than human.''

It was a slow night so she came home early, but when she called to say she'd be in the next day, she was told not to bother, he added.

Nathaniels owner and chef Dan Hilliard defended his decision, saying the restaurant has certain standards. He prohibits male staff from wearing earrings and requires employees keep their hair at a reasonable length.

Fearnall is still on the payroll and she can return to work once she grows her hair back, he said, adding she was offered the summer off to spend time with her kids.

Fearnall, who also works in a plant nursery and as a caterer, told The Owen Sound Sun Times she was shocked by what happened.

"I honestly can't believe this is happening,'' she said. "It's ridiculous that I would be punished for doing a good thing.''

The restaurant owners said they told Fearnall well in advance they wouldn't be pleased if she participated in the fundraiser and suggested she could have found other ways to support the cause.

But Fearnall said she never got a clear answer when she asked if she'd still have a job if she went through with her plan.

Fearnall decided to take part in the popular fundraiser because cancer has struck close to home in recent years. Her father died of the disease five years ago and a cousin and close friend are currently battling the disease.

John Fearnall said it would be nice if his wife got an apology and noted she's not likely to return to the job, even when her hair grows back.

"She was surprised by the treatment. (The owners are) nice people. They're good people. It's just surprising the way that they treated her and I think that was what hurt her so much.''

He said he called the Ontario Labour Relations Board and was told the family has little recourse but to consider filing a human rights complaint.

"I think the court of public opinion is going to be enough, perhaps at this point,'' he said.

Hilliard admitted the story isn't great PR for the restaurant, but as far as he's concerned, it's an internal staff problem.

Besides, he said he's already heard from some customers who agree with him and say they would have been "appalled'' to have been served at Fearnall's table.

Still, not everybody agrees. The incident has left some fellow restaurateurs shaking their heads.

"I'm totally shocked. I'm actually totally shocked as well as all of my customers,'' said Wanda Doubt, who owns the nearby restaurant Wanda's and Mike's.

"That's absolutely ridiculous. Cops for Cancer, there couldn't be a better charity.''

Jen Wright of the Bluewater Cancer Society said she's never heard of anything like this.

"It apparently has not happened anywhere across Canada, according to the Canadian Cancer Society,'' she said.

"We support her and thank her and all the participants for all the money that they have raised over the years.''

CTV Toronto- Woman fired after shaving head for cancer charity - CTV News, Shows and Sports -- Canadian Television

I wonder if she'd shaved her head because she was losing her hair to cancer treatments and didn't want to wear a wig if she still would have been fired?
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Peoples' bullshit never ceases to amaze me.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

She's still on the payroll though.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    She's still on the payroll though.
    Still,it's major insulting.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I would think that as a foodserver, not having hair would be more hygienic than wearing a wig...

Silver Member

Angry

assholes

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post

Besides, he said he's already heard from some customers who agree with him and say they would have been "appalled'' to have been served at Fearnall's table.
    appalled? jeez, i wouldnt want their business if thats how they feel.
    i hope that this place ends up losing business and closing down.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I can understand their point about having standards, but for goddsake, she looks presentable. It's small picture, but she has a nice face and she doesn't look 'rough' or like she's going to steal money for the till!

What assholes.
    ssabmud

This is ridiculous. Why would anyone be apalled at being served by this lady. There is nothing gross about a shaven head. The owners should be ashamed of themselves. When an employee goes to this type of lengths to help a charity, it can only make the employer look good. It's just good PR. If the asshole owner was so concerned about it in advance, he could have donated the same amount she raised on the condition that she didn't shave her head. I bet the ass-wipe didn't donate one dime.

smf

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    I would think that as a foodserver, not having hair would be more hygienic than wearing a wig...
    no kidding ,god people are stupid ,im glad she made this public maybe customers will ban the place until they let her come back

Gold Member

You'd get shitcanned at my company for shaving your head if you're female. If you're a man...no prob. We had someone recently who was reprimanded for wearing flip flops on casual Friday; no way a shaved head would fly.

What a bunch of assholes! Talk about looking foolish, I hope they lose business from this...what if she had lost her hair due to cancer? What an awful thing to do to someone.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

What a load of crap. Hope their restaurant gets massively boycotted.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Stacey Fearnall said it was a 'pretty easy thing' to shave her head to raise money for cancer research, but was stunned when her boss fired her over it. (CBC)
    Source: Waitress loses job after shaving head for cancer charity

Thread Information