Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mom makes kids hold up embarrassing signs

Default Mom makes kids hold up embarrassing signs

OMAHA, Neb. -- A single mother said she is at her wits' end with her children's behavior, so she's making them hold signs at a busy intersection as punishment, reported television station KETV in Omaha.

Christina Wilcox and her children stood at an Omaha street corner on Thursday night. One son held a sign that said: "I'll never have a girlfriend. I can't respect my mom." Another son's sign proclaimed him a thief.

"They'll learn by embarrassment," Wilcox said. "They'll learn. I've tried grounding them and disciplining them in every form and way, and this the only way I can get through to them."

Mason, 7, is being punished for stealing.

"He's starting down the wrong road of thieving and then lying about it," Wilcox said. "He's thieved from a couple of friends, from a store, and I just don't want it to proceed."

Wilcox said that 5-year-old Elizabeth is following in her big brothers' footsteps, so she held a sign, too.

"They're not going to want to do it again, so there will be no more lying and no more thieving," Wilcox said.

Some drivers honked and gave Wilcox the thumbs up. Others shouted profanities. Wilcox said that everyone has a right to their own opinion, but she said she didn't know what else to do.

"I'm a single mom of three. I work full time, so time outs and everything else don't always work," she said.

Dustin Wilcox said he's not fazed by the punishment, but he said it does get him thinking.

"It really doesn't bother me standing out here doing this," Dustin said. "I've been trying to work on being more respectful, not yelling at my mom and not arguing with her."

The children held the signs for about and hour and 45 minutes. Wilcox said it was the last time they would hold the signs, and she thinks they got the message.

Mom Makes Kids Hold Up Embarrassing Signs - Family News Story - KTVU San Francisco

By God, a parent is putting her foot down, not taking shit from her kids and even being creative about it! Amen and hallelujah, give that woman a medal!!! I'm serious, good for her. I think embarrassing them will be effective too.

*writes down for when she has kids*

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Hmmmm...kudos to her for trying to take control but still....I'm uneasy about this. Kind of Scarlett Letter-ish.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Hold on a sec...if she can get her kids to agree to do this how come she can't control them otherwise? I would think from teh way she describes thems that they'd be telling her to go fuck herself when she came up with this idea. Now I'm confused.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Hold on a sec...if she can get her kids to agree to do this how come she can't control them otherwise? I would think from teh way she describes thems that they'd be telling her to go fuck herself when she came up with this idea. Now I'm confused.
    I was just about to post similar thoughts. They don't sound like they could be THAT out of control if she can get them to do this.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Oh, noes! A widdle chyuld might be (gasp!) embarrassed about their bad behavior. Shame is not some horrible concept that doesn't have a place in society. We should be ashamed for some things we do and there isn't anything wrong with using it as a deterrent. This brat's 'feelings' are not the most important thing in the world. I guess there will be some people who think she should have asked him what kind of punishment he thought was appropriate.

^^I don't think anyone is saying that at all.

--Sinclair Lewis

5 and 7 are being made to hold up signs? yeah that'll embarrass them. *koff*
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Wall o'text should be outlawed. Paragraphs are everyone's friend.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    ^^I don't think anyone is saying that at all.
    Maybe not here, not yet.....but you know there are the crunchy granola kid centric types who worship at the altar of self esteem who absolutely do believe that any punishment that makes someone feel less than ecstatic is akin to abuse.

No stereotypes in that post.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

I think there must be a middle ground between licking your kid's ass and fuckign them up with your own nutty issues. And no, there weren't any stereotypes in that one at all...

--Sinclair Lewis

I think they should do a follow-up in a couple of weeks and see if it was effective.

And the questions butt brought up should be answered--I, too, wanna know how she forced them little hooligans to stand there and hold the signs. The worst of them will tell their mother's to go eff themselves and physically refuse to go anywhere, much less hold signs. (I'm thinking back to my own nightmare hooligan brother when he was a teen.)

And this seems like a nice middle-ground, if you ask me. It's "nicer" than an ass-whipping, but not as pussyfied as a "time out"
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I don't know, if my mum had told me to cut the crap I just did it but if she had tried to make me do this I probably would have told her to fuck off, somethign I never in a million years dreamed of doing.

--Sinclair Lewis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information