Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Mutilated Barbie

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Mutilated Barbie

Girls hate Barbie so much that many admit torturing, maiming and even decapitating the doll, according to new research published today.
    The all-American toy has become a "hate figure" among seven to 11-year-old girls, who regard Barbie as a "babyish" symbol of their earlier childhood.

How did you treat your Barbie dolls when you were younger? Tell us in the reader comments below

Researchers from the University of Bath questioned 100 youngsters about their attitudes to a range of branded products and found the iconic doll provoked the strongest reaction.

"When we asked the groups of junior school children about Barbie, the doll provoked rejection, hatred and violence," said Dr Agnes Nairn, who headed the study.

"The meaning of 'Barbie' went beyond an expressed antipathy; actual physical violence and torture towards the doll was repeatedly reported, quite gleefully, across age, school and gender."

"The girls we spoke to see Barbie torture as a legitimate play activity, and see the torture as a 'cool' activity in contrast to other forms of play with the doll.

"The types of mutilation are varied and creative, and range from removing the hair to decapitation, burning, breaking and even microwaving."

Academics found that the girls' violent hatred of Barbie was linked to the doll's "rich symbolism".

Children told researchers they disliked the toy because they regarded it as a feminine icon, "plastic", and an unwelcome reminder of their childhood.

"The most readily expressed reason for rejecting Barbie was that she was babyish, and girls saw her as representing their younger childhood out of which they felt they had now grown," said Dr Nairn.

"It's as though disavowing Barbie is a rite of passage and a rejection of their past."

The study also found that while boys expressed feelings of nostalgia and affection towards Action Man, girls' attitude to Barbie remained surprisingly hostile.

The doll was regarded as an inanimate object by girls rather than a treasured toy and friend.

"The girls almost always talked about having a box full of Barbies, the academic said.

"So, to them, Barbie has come to symbolise excess. Barbies are not special, they are disposable, and are thrown away and rejected.

"On a deeper level, Barbie has become inanimate.

She has lost any individual warmth that she might have possessed if she were perceived as a singular person, becoming an 'it' rather than a 'she'.

"This may go someway towards explaining the violence and torture.

dailymail.co.uk

'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Default Re: Barbie faces grisly end

Noooooooo!! My Barbie's were all pristine, I'd be heartbroken when I even lost a single shoe. I used to despise girls who let their Barbie's hair get all straggly, I'd comb mine obsessively.

My favourite Ken fell down the stairs once and his arm snapped off, I couldn't fix it but refused to throw him out. His chat up line was that he'd come back from the army and lost a limb. All the Barbies thought he was very cool for this and he was quite a player!

I still have two special edition Barbies still in their boxes proudly on display in my room!

I did use to stick one of my Barbie's feet through the hamster cage bars though, I suppose that was pretty mean, especially considering at that age I believed she had real feelings

I wouldn'thave ever decapitated or burned her though, if you ask me thats some kids with issues!!

Actually, I did have a Mel B from the spice girls figure and when they split up I hated them so I put her in the freezer for about a month then took her out and smashed her in to hundreds of little pieces!!
    No man is worth your tears, but once you find one that is, he won't make you cry
    G_ F_CK Y__RS_LF - Would you like to buy a vowel??

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Barbie is the spawn of the anti-christ.
    00Kimmi00 likes this.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Default Mutilated Barbie

Researchers Find Barbie Is Often Mutilated
    By JILL LAWLESS, Associated Press Writer
    Mon Dec 19, 6:02 PM ET

LONDON - Barbie, beware. The iconic plastic doll is often mutilated at the hands of young girls, according to research published Monday by British academics.

"The girls we spoke to see Barbie torture as a legitimate play activity, and see the torture as a 'cool' activity," said Agnes Nairn, one of the University of Bath researchers. "The types of mutilation are varied and creative, and range from removing the hair to decapitation, burning, breaking and even microwaving."
    Researchers from the university's marketing and psychology departments questioned 100 children about their attitudes to a range of products as part of a study on branding. They found Barbie provoked the strongest reaction, with youngsters reporting "rejection, hatred and violence," Nairn said.
    "The meaning of 'Barbie' went beyond an expressed antipathy; actual physical violence and torture towards the doll was repeatedly reported, quite gleefully, across age, school and gender," she said.
    While boys often expressed nostalgia and affection toward Action Man the British equivalent of GI Joe renouncing Barbie appeared to be a rite of passage for many girls, Nairn said.
    "The most readily expressed reason for rejecting Barbie was that she was babyish, and girls saw her as representing their younger childhood out of which they felt they had now grown," she said.
    Nairn said many girls saw Barbie as an inanimate object rather than a treasured toy.
    "Whilst for an adult the delight the child felt in breaking, mutilating and torturing their dolls is deeply disturbing, from the child's point of view they were simply being imaginative in disposing of an excessive commodity in the same way as one might crush cans for recycling," she said.
    Manufacturer Mattel, which sells 94 million Barbies a year worldwide, said the doll remained the "No. 1 fashion doll brand."
    Mattel U.K. said that despite the findings of "this very small group of children, we know that there are millions of girls in the U.K. and across the world that love and enjoy playing with Barbie and will continue to do so in the future."
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051219/..._hating_barbie
    ------------
    I never had a Barbie, my sisters did but I wasn't crazy them for some reason.

Default Re: Mutilated Barbie

lol, I love this article!!! I didn't have barbies, but I know I saw many at cousins' and friends' houses with pen marks on face, holes poked in them, hair cut off. Rite of passage...I love it!
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

The first thing I always did with any new doll was to strip it naked. Then, for the Barbies, we had an involved game we would play in the car where they were naked, tied up, and suspened from those hooks you are supposed to hang garment bags on. They were held prisoner. My mother, who sat in the front seat observing all this, thought we were kind of disturbed.
    Keep passing the open windows.

Wow----no clue there was so much Barbie mistreatment. I always tried to keep mine looking her best. I also didn't like those who chopped off their Barbies hair or let it get straggly. I never even thought to torture.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

These articles are really interesting. I had 3 Barbies, 2 blondes and 1 brunette. I just played dress up with them and never really tortured them or anything. I guess I could have, I so missed out!!!

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I never tortured mine... I made them have sex with each other a lot, that's about it.

I didn't play with barbies a lot. I was more into like, building things like K'nex or reading. But I did often cut their hair, not to mutilate them but because I just wanted to try out hairstyles! Lol. And I liked to chew on their feet too... Hehe...

Wow, I had no idea Barbie had become such a source of anger! I had a few barbies but they never lasted very long. My brother usually stripped them naked and subjected them to various forms of torture with the help of his army men. I'd find them in the backyard hanging from trees or even blown to bits by firecrackers. The devastation would leave me crying and my brother would say he had no choice but to kill my barbie spies when they infiltrated his compound.

^^HAHA infiltrated his compound! Brilliant!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenaj
    Noooooooo!! My Barbie's were all pristine, I'd be heartbroken when I even lost a single shoe. I used to despise girls who let their Barbie's hair get all straggly, I'd comb mine obsessively.

My favourite Ken fell down the stairs once and his arm snapped off, I couldn't fix it but refused to throw him out. His chat up line was that he'd come back from the army and lost a limb. All the Barbies thought he was very cool for this and he was quite a player!
    LOL!
    I still have a huge box full of barbies, about 30 of them, barbie clothes, accessories, i even had a barbie house somewhere! The only mean thing I ever did to them was when I was younger actually, maybe about 5. When my efforts to comb their hair went awry, i combed harder and harder like a little psycho, and it it still wouldnt work, i would smash them against a wall or something. I was a frustrated little kid. But I got over it.

Quote Originally Posted by muchlove
    I never tortured mine... I made them have sex with each other a lot, that's about it.
    Me too, whats the obsession with that??
    No man is worth your tears, but once you find one that is, he won't make you cry
    G_ F_CK Y__RS_LF - Would you like to buy a vowel??

We use to pretend one Barbie was a hooker and she would always steal the others husband, etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information