Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man dives into canal to save 13-month-old baby girl trapped in overturned car

Default Man dives into canal to save 13-month-old baby girl trapped in overturned car

A passer-by dived into an icy canal to rescue a baby trapped underwater in a car.

Pat Baker, 54, forced his way into the overturned vehicle which had been almost completely submerged for several minutes.
    Although unable to see anything in the murky water he managed to free the 13-month-old girl from the straps on her child seat. Scroll down for more ...
    The child's mother was driving and lost control after colliding with a car travelling in the opposite direction. Pat Baker freed the infant who had been underwater for several minutes

Pulling her clear by one leg, he surfaced again and made it back to the canalside to the applause of onlookers.
    The unnamed baby, who suffered a heart attack, was revived by two nurses who had also stopped to help.
    No hesitation: Pat Baker

The child was said to be stable in hospital last night.

Wednesday afternoon's drama took place at Barrow on Trent near Derby. It began when the child's mother careered her Peugeot 106 into the Trent and Mersey Canal trying to avoid another car.
    The woman managed to get out of the vehicle unhurt, at which point Mr Baker arrived on the scene.
    The Rolls-Royce engineer, who was out for a drive with his wife Denise, said: "As I went down to the car I just thought 'My God, I've got to do something'."
    Mr Baker said he heard a man shouting "There's a baby in the water" and the girl's mother screaming "Save my baby".
    After plunging into the canal, he found he could not open either of the Peugeot's doors.
    "I had my arms under the water trying to find the door handles," he said.
    "The door didn't want to come open so I swam round to the other side. But the door was stuck in the silt, so I swam round and tried again and it opened.
    "It was pitch black inside so I had to feel my way and I felt the leg of the child.
    "Then I realised she was strapped in and thought 'Oh no, what do I do?'
    "I was just fumbling around with the catch and luckily it came loose. I brought her out by her leg.
    "I surfaced and could hear the mother shouting 'My baby, my baby'." Scroll down for more ...
    The Peugeot 106 careered into the Trent and Mersey canal

Amy Northover, a nurse at Derbyshire Children's Hospital, gave the child the kiss of life.
    She said: "The baby was on the bank and had a very weak pulse.
    "With the help of another lady I gave her mouth-to-mouth, chest compressions and hit her back to try to get some of the water out.
    "She started to cry a little, which was a huge relief.
    "It's all a blur. It was one of those situations you don't want to be in but, when you are there, you do all you can."
    Mr Baker, from Derby, added: "Someone came over and said the baby was breathing and I broke down in tears.
    "I just did what I did - it will only be worth it if the child is okay. The more I think about it, I just keep wanting to cry.
    "I thought she was dead - it's unbelievable. I'm just praying she will be okay."
    His wife, who is 55, said: "There was a lot of shouting and people were trying to calm the mother down - she was hysterical.
    "Pat just walked up and jumped in without hesitation.
    "I have a phobia of water and I just thought 'Oh my God - will he come up again?'
    "It was awful. I did say I'm married to a hero. He did what I think he would do every time - that's the kind of fellow he is."
    Andy Wright, a police constable called to the scene, said: "It was amazing. The people involved were very brave." The air ambulance flew the child and her mother to Nottingham's Queens Medical Centre.

Miracle rescue as hero engineer dives into canal to save 13-month-old baby girl trapped in overturned car | the Daily Mail

Elite Member

I have a question. Why in situtations such as these, children trapped in a submerged car or burning building, mom or dad stands around shouting for someone to "save my baby"? What aren't they risking themselves trying to save the baby?

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    I have a question. Why in situtations such as these, children trapped in a submerged car or burning building, mom or dad stands around shouting for someone to "save my baby"? What aren't they risking themselves trying to save the baby?
    This was my thought as well. No way I would just stand there and call for someone else to do it.

Poor little thing had a heart attack...at one!
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

It's just one of those things where you really can't predict how you would act in an unbelievably stressful situation. She could have been in serious shock, or maybe even injured, I don't know, but what's happened happened. It's pretty traumatic to be driving one minute and next second hit water at impact, first thing in your mind would be to get out of the car. I would pray that God forbid if anything like this happened I would react instantaneously and go back for my child.

At any rate a very heroic and noble deed from Mr. Baker. In these times when the public is so starved for genuine heroes that they deem anything a celebuturd does as "heroic," very nice to read that people like Mr. Baker exist.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    It's just one of those things where you really can't predict how you would act in an unbelievably stressful situation. She could have been in serious shock, or maybe even injured, I don't know, but what's happened happened. It's pretty traumatic to be driving one minute and next second hit water at impact, first thing in your mind would be to get out of the car. I would pray that God forbid if anything like this happened I would react instantaneously and go back for my child.

At any rate a very heroic and noble deed from Mr. Baker. In these times when the public is so starved for genuine heroes that they deem anything a celebuturd does as "heroic," very nice to read that people like Mr. Baker exist.
    I just find it ironic that Mom gets out of said car or burning apartment and leaves behind their baby and then waits for someone else to jump into the fray and help. I would think it would be instinctual to save the baby before you save yourself. Guess not for most people.

I was going to say the same so I will quote you instead.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

I just find it ironic that Mom gets out of said car or burning apartment and leaves behind their baby and then waits for someone else to jump into the fray and help. I would think it would be instinctual to save the baby before you save yourself. Guess not for most people.
    I definitely see your point, and wonder that myself but just thinking of the mindset of someone who doesn't automatically do that. I'd think that every parent would risk their lives to save their child but you're right guess not for some people. I've read of cats that risked their life to go back into a burning building to save their babies...

What aren't they risking themselves trying to save the baby?
    And break a nail?????

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    I definitely see your point, and wonder that myself but just thinking of the mindset of someone who doesn't automatically do that. I'd think that every parent would risk their lives to save their child but you're right guess not for some people. I've read of cats that risked their life to go back into a burning building to save their babies...
    I agree with you about the cats. A few years ago, my grandfather was asleep and his two cats were going insane, jumping up and down off his bed. He got up to take them out of the room and walked into an inferno. His house was engulfed in flames, literally the fire was climbing the walls in every room but his bedroom. He ran out of the house to make sure his tenant got out, he figured the cats were behind him.

His house was literally burned til only one wall and the foundation stood. Poor little cats didn't make it out, but saved his life and that of his tenants. He was so heartbroken over his cats, he sifted through the ashes for days looking for something to bury.

That was my very first thought as well. I understand maybe being in shock and just not even being able to move or whatever, but it seems if one has the presence of mind to scream for someone else to save their baby (never mind escape the car themselves) then they clearly know what's going on and what needs to be done...
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Well there is something to be said for yelling for help. I think you don't need to get the stranger to save your child but you SHOULD definitely alert someone else because if you go in after your child and say, pass out, or hit your head etc. then you have lost the only witness to your child's accident who could be calling for help.

Does that make sense? ie. if she wasn't yelling for someone to help her and went in to the water herself and something happened to prevent her from saving the child, they'd both die without witnesses to save them.

Aw good on him. I like hearing stories like that. It makes a change from all the gloomy ones!

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

It's people like Mr. Baker that keep my faith in humanity alive. It's hard sometimes, especially with all the horror stories that we hear on a day to day basis.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by misskris View Post
    Well there is something to be said for yelling for help. I think you don't need to get the stranger to save your child but you SHOULD definitely alert someone else because if you go in after your child and say, pass out, or hit your head etc. then you have lost the only witness to your child's accident who could be calling for help.

Does that make sense? ie. if she wasn't yelling for someone to help her and went in to the water herself and something happened to prevent her from saving the child, they'd both die without witnesses to save them.
    That's a very good point, actually. I think I probably still would have jumped in myself were it my child, but you're right on that it would be best to get someone else's attention at the same time. I also wonder about the spin the Daily Mail is likely putting on the mother's role.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

[QUOTE=Charmed Hour;1171797]I agree with you about the cats. A few years ago, my grandfather was asleep and his two cats were going insane, jumping up and down off his bed. He got up to take them out of the room and walked into an inferno. His house was engulfed in flames, literally the fire was climbing the walls in every room but his bedroom. He ran out of the house to make sure his tenant got out, he figured the cats were behind him.

His house was literally burned til only one wall and the foundation stood. Poor little cats didn't make it out, but saved his life and that of his tenants. He was so heartbroken over his cats, he sifted through the ashes for days looking for something to bury.[/QUOT

Cats are amazing! What a sad story, but I'm glad your grandfather and tenants made it out alright.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information