Thread: Spot the 'invisible' men and women in artist's photographs

Default Spot the 'invisible' men and women in artist's photographs

In the natural world, the chameleon blends in perfectly with its background.

In the urban jungle, Desiree Palmen decided to attempt the same visual deception.
    And as these pictures show, the effect is amazing.
    Miss Palmen, a 44-year-old Dutch artist, uses a method that requires a huge amount of effort and attention to detail. Scroll down for more...
    Desk deception: What appears to be a pile of papers is in fact a hunched figure

She makes cotton suits and paints the camouflage on by hand, painstakingly matching it to the chosen background. Either she or a model then poses in the suit in the chosen place.
    The scenes are photographed and filmed and then put on display.
    "People always react strongly when they see my work," she said.
    "They have mixed reactions: confusion, surprise and interest."
    She added: "Mostly people like the idea of wearing garments that make them invisible." Scroll down for more...
    Blending library: Is that a pair of legs standing in front of book-laden shelves?

It takes hours for her to paint the suits. First she takes photographs of the scene then, back in the studio, she meticulously transfers the detail on to the cotton suit with acrylic paints.
    The match of colour, texture, light and hue is extraordinarily accurate but the artist remains modest.
    "It's never perfect," she said. "But when it works that's enough for me. I like the fact people can see it's a real person in a suit and not a fake digital image."
    She regularly displays her works on the streets of Jerusalem, Rotterdam and Berlin.
    She has produced exterior and interior shots - in the latter she blends in with a bookcase, a desk and a flight of stairs. Scroll down for more...
    Flight of fancy: Camouflage by the stairs (left), Alley illusion: A human turned to stone

She got the idea for her unusual art from the increasing use of "Big Brother" surveillance.
    She said: "I'd like people to consider what it means to let the government control our daily lives.
    "When we are controlled we hand over our individual responsibilities to the state. I wanted to make a suit for the non-criminal citizen whose house is being watched 24 hours by street surveillance cameras. I'm also responding to a wish to disappear."
    Miss Palmen, who studied sculpture at The Academy of Art in Maastricht, sells her pictures for around 1,500.
    She has enjoyed success at dozens of exhibitions around Europe but has yet to bring her work to Britain.
    She finds that children are often fascinated by her work. "There was one little boy in Jerusalem who kept coming back to the camouflaged figure over and over again," she said.

Spot the 'invisible' men and women in artist's amazing photographs | the Daily Mail

I LOVE the bookcase one, thats incredible. I really love her work, how original. It must be absolutely painstaking to recreate the scene onto clothes, and how devastating it must be if your picture doesn't turn out correctly.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

it's kind of gimmicky but they're all right i guess.
    i like the first one.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Eli

Where's the top half of the body in that bookcase one?

^^I was wondering that, too!

I like the street one best.

^^ Me too. That one must have been digitally altered.

Sorry, but I think it's kind of stupid. She wants them to get lost in the background so you can't see them, but she also wants them to be visible so that way you can see them? And her whole thing about Big Brother and hiding from surveillance... no one would ever wear clothing like that, and if they did, they'd have to stand still to prevent detection, not to mention their clothes would have to match up with every angle of vision for each camera that had the person in view.

Or maybe I'm just overthinking it

i think it's a cool idea. it'd be a little bit much to go to a gallery opening full of these, but they're fun in small doses. she must use SOME digital work, right?

Yeah, I'm thinking they've had to do some digital retouching to blank out the head parts too, like in the bookshelf one you all mentioned. And once they do that, it kind of defeats the point a bit for me. I think it would be neat if you could see the heads, it would look like a floating disembodied head. It does seem like it's a lot of painstaking detail work involved, so kudos for that.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

omg those are craaaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzzy!!!!

gawd the dutch are such talented painters i swear! theres this one i love but i forget his name; hes from the 1500s or something; very realistic. he did that pregnant bitch holding her mans hand in the bedroom.........

Cool stuff!

Reminds me of a haunted house I went to a few years ago. Not an actual haunted house, just some trailers that were set up in the parking lot of a shopping mall over Halloween.

Anyway, one of the rooms was painted black and had all these designs painted all over it in neon. I walked into the room, and waited for the scary/creepy but nothing happened. All of a sudden I saw something move out of the corner of my eye, and I turned and saw this woman dressed in a black cat suit with the same designs painted on it walking toward me. It looked like she materialized out of thin air! I nearly peed myself, LOL. After a moment, I realized that she must have been there the whole time, she was just very well camouflaged against the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    omg those are craaaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzzy!!!!

gawd the dutch are such talented painters i swear! theres this one i love but i forget his name; hes from the 1500s or something; very realistic. he did that pregnant bitch holding her mans hand in the bedroom.........
    any more clues? I actually want to see this pic

Vermeer? Rembrandt?

I think she means the Arnolfini Portrait by Jan van Eyck?

Yes!! My introduction to art history courses are finally useful for something other than getting an occasional Jeopardy question right.

Those pictures rock!

Gold Member

^the bookcase one esp

Thread Information