Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motorists drive by as woman is sexually assaulted in the middle of a busy road

Default Motorists drive by as woman is sexually assaulted in the middle of a busy road

As she struggled with the brutal attacker trying to rape her, the terrified victim might have hoped that help was only a few feet away.

The 20-year-old woman had been pinned to the ground on a road which, even though it was 1am, was well lit and busy.
    Yet not one of the passing motorists stopped to go to her aid. Scroll down for more...

Instead at least five, including taxi drivers, chose not to help – but to continue their journeys.
    Police are investigating and last night a source close to the inquiry said: "This was a lengthy and sustained attack and anybody who witnessed it as they drove past would have been left in no doubt as to what was happening to this woman."
    The victim was returning home from a night out and had just finished talking to a friend on her mobile when she was attacked on Riverside Road in Stockton-on-Tees at 1am on Monday.
    The man, who had been riding a bike and was wearing a white hoodie, first tried to drag her into the dark recesses of a shopping centre car park to carry out his sex attack.
    When she fought back he punched her in the face repeatedly before ripping her clothes off and sexually assaulting her on the busy road.
    Ignoring her obvious plight, motorists passed by without even stopping to help.
    Yesterday, as the woman recovered at home with her family, Detective Sergeant Mick Todd of Cleveland Police said: "The attack took place in the middle of the road, but not one person stopped.
    "There were at least five cars that passed her as she was lying on the road while the attack was taking place and we need those drivers to come forward."
    He said police had checked CCTV footage from another part of the road and taken a statement from the victim to estimate how many cars had driven past.
    Mr Todd added: "This woman has been very brave. She basically fought for her life.
    "He used his fists and repeatedly rained blows into her face, and, as a result, she is severely bruised. He has then ripped her clothing and sexually assaulted her.
    "There are several lines of investigation being pursued, from forensic possibilities, CCTV inquiries, press appeals, and we are also waiting on other witnesses coming forward.
    "We have already identified two witnesses who were in the area and we are speaking to them now.
    "But we would like to speak to any drivers who were in the area at the time, particularly taxi drivers."
    Mr Todd said the woman was able to run for help after the attacker fled on his bike.
    She was later taken to North Tees University Hospital, in Stockton, where she was treated for cuts and bruises to her face.
    She is being cared for by relatives and a women's support network.
    Police believe her attacker had intended to rape her and, but for her actions, would have succeeded. Ingrid Salomonsen, director and chief executive of Redcar and Cleveland Women's Aid, said: "Believe it or not, this does happen.
    "Even if a woman is being raped in the street there are those who will think they don't want to get involved.
    "They might be afraid of getting hurt or even interpret what is going on as someone having a laugh – it's all part of a denial process.
    "What people don't realise is that they can stop their car, sound the horn, flash their headlights and then call the police.
    "They don't even have to get out of their cars if they feel that would be putting themselves at risk."
    It is the third sex attack in Stockton in as many weeks. Police do not believe the incidents are connected but have urged women in the area not to use the streets alone at night.

Motorists drive by as woman is sexually assaulted in the middle of a busy road | the Daily Mail

Wow that is horrible (kinda like the genovese case in new york decades ago). I'm inclined to say these people who did nothing suck but at the same time I am ashamed to admit I wouldn't know how I would react in such a situation if it happened so quick like that. I hope that I am man enough and brave enough to at least do something like call the police or something.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I would have gotten out of the car and fucked somebody up. There is no excuse for not appraising a situation and doing what you could do; even calling on the phone.
    I have to ask what the speed limit is on this road; what were weather conditions? I could understand that maybe people could have missed it... but still.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Wow, that is really dismaying.

Doesn't give me much hope for humanity. How could NO ONE stop? Thats just terrifying. The fact no one helped, and the fact the attacker just did it in broad daylight. Horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry gashes View Post
    Doesn't give me much hope for humanity. How could NO ONE stop? Thats just terrifying. The fact no one helped, and the fact the attacker just did it in broad daylight. Horrible.
    1 am isn't exactly broad daylight, but still disgusting
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

^Haha, i was thinking it happened like in the picture! Oops.
    And I was thinking 'HOW WAS IT NOT SEEN!?'

I would not be out on my own at 1am. People can say 'that sucks' but thats the shitty world we live in. We've lost basic freedoms like that.

I think getting involved in the middle of an attack, not knowing whether the man was armed, would be very dangerous. Calling the police, yelling and honking your horn loudly would be a safer response. Plus, beware of these situations because it could have been a domestic dispute and the parties involved are not always grateful.

There was a case here recently where a young man intervened while a woman was getting a beat down and he ended being pulverized by the two of them. The woman never did thank him. The poor bastard spent months in the hospital and has had several operations on his face. And the stupid bitch went back to the beater when he got out of jail. It's not always as simple as it sounds.

A*O

Now you know why we decided to leave the UK forever. If this happened in the US then I think a lot of people would have tried to do something. Brits don't give a shit any more and are too scared to try.

I will always remember a situation in Canada when MrPhil and I were walking along a road and he 'pretended' to grab me. It was totally innocent, we were just fooling around, but TWO cars pulled over at that instant to ask if I was OK. Nuff said.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

That's awful. Wouldn't have happened if I had driven by.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Another incident that confirms for me that I am on my own with my wits, weapons, and luck.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

I wish my husband would have been there for her sake. I hand it to him, he will not stand by and watch a woman being abused. I wish the world had more men like that.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Honestly, when I'm driving, I'm not on the lookout for women being raped on the side of the road. If I did see something like that, it would take me a minute to realize what was going on (because it's not every day you see a woman getting raped on the side of the road). I would turn around and go back to the scene once I realized what was going on, and help in any way I could, but in all likelihood I would have totally missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    I think getting involved in the middle of an attack, not knowing whether the man was armed, would be very dangerous. Calling the police, yelling and honking your horn loudly would be a safer response. Plus, beware of these situations because it could have been a domestic dispute and the parties involved are not always grateful.

There was a case here recently where a young man intervened while a woman was getting a beat down and he ended being pulverized by the two of them. The woman never did thank him. The poor bastard spent months in the hospital and has had several operations on his face. And the stupid bitch went back to the beater when he got out of jail. It's not always as simple as it sounds.

Great point, along with Boogsbun. In a car things happen in a flash before mind registers. Now I know we all have fantasies of being john rambos and kicking arse jackie chan style but that only happens in the movies. After the initial shock wears off I'd call the police but in the heat of the situation I can't predict with absolute certainty how I'd act, and some others can't either.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I'm insane... I know how I'd react; it would involve grabbing my tire iron or if this were Texas there is that whole concealed handgun thing...I'm just one of those people.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information