Thread: $104,566.63 car insurance premium NO MISTAKE

Default $104,566.63 car insurance premium NO MISTAKE

Insurance premium more than $100,000

EDMONTON - Barbara Wellensiek knew her son's insurance bill would be steep because of his driving record, but when the renewal notice arrived she was shocked to see the annual premium was $104,566.63.
    "I thought it was a typo," Wellensiek said today. "I didn't panic - I thought it was a mistake."
    When she phoned her insurance broker, Access Insurance Group, she got confirmation that the figure on the notice was accurate, the rate having been hiked from $1,300 per month.

Email to a friendPrinter friendly Font:
    var addthis_pub = 'canada.com'; function textCounter(field,cntfield,maxlimit) { if (field.value.length > maxlimit) // if too long...trim it! field.value = field.value.substring(0, maxlimit); // otherwise, update 'characters left' counter else { var divLabel = document.getElementById("divLabel"); divLabel.innerHTML = maxlimit - field.value.length + " characters remaining"; } }

"I just about fainted - how could this be?"
    She calculated that her son, Janson Towers, would have to work full-time all year and earn $55 per hour just to pay his auto insurance premium.
    Towers has all the factors going against him that add up to a high premium, even under the new grid system brought in when auto insurance reforms took effect in 2004.
    He's 19, and has a "tendency to speed," Wellensiek said.
    He got his first car at age 16. His licence was suspended twice. Since May 2005 he has received 10 speeding tickets, and has been in two minor "fender benders" and a rear-ender that totalled his car.
    Though the insurance industry has complained that the grid system rewards bad drivers, an insurer could charge even more.
    When the details of Towers' driving record were put into the auto insurance rate calculator on the provincial government website, the maximum allowable charge that came out was $122,727.42 per year.
    Wellensiek went to another insurance company, Morgex, which quoted her $50,000 for a premium on her son's Nissan 240.
    She has chipped in on his premiums before because of his need for a car. He has been playing junior football in Kelowna, taking physiotherapy because of football injuries, working part-time and is about to start attending Okanagan College.
    But there's no way the family can afford $50,000.
    "If he can't drive, I'm sure he'll accept it. He'll just have to wait until the convictions fall off."
    Towers said he's moving permanently to British Columbia and is optimistic he can insure his car there for about the same rate he was paying in Alberta last year. If that doesn't work out, he'll have to ride his bike.
    "I'd rather buy a house than pay that ($104,000)," he said.
    He's still shocked by the invoice, and says that most of the speeding tickets clocked him going just a few kilometres per hour over the limit.
    Alison Gates-Kriston, spokeswoman for Alberta Finance, said there are three factors on the insurance rate grid: number of years of driving, accident claims and convictions.
    "Your grid rating is a reflection of your driving record," Gates-Kriston said. "It's the driver's decision as to whether they want to be insured or whether they want to stop driving."
    An official with Access Insurance Group, which quoted the $104,566.63 premium, said the company can't comment because of privacy legislation.
    Michael Debolt, government affairs manager for the Alberta office of the Insurance Bureau of Canada, was surprised by the amount of the premiums allowed under the grid rules, but said his industry is still opposed to capping rates under the grid system.
    "We don't believe in the grid at all - we believe an individual's insurance premiums should reflect the risk they carry," he said.

I'll make you a bet that this is teaching that boy a lesson...don't speed, moron!
    I child-proofed my house but they keep getting back in!

exactly. are we supposed to feel sorry for him?
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Well no wonder...what a dick!

"But...but...but...I only have 10 speeding tickets! How can this be?"
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Just take his license away. Plain and simple. Someone like this should not have the privilege to drive. He'll end up killing someone with a record like that.

Dems da breaks kiddo, you had to pay for your punk @$$ behavior sooner or later and now you know you haven't the right to endanger anyone elses life with said behavior.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Why is a mother taking care of a 19 year old man's car insurance anyway? He's an adult, let him learn how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    Why is a mother taking care of a 19 year old man's car insurance anyway? He's an adult, let him learn how to do it.
    say it after me: "enabler"...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

If she would have taught him that he is not special and doesn't have the right to break laws, than the insurance company wouldn't have too.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

En-ay-blur (I feel like one of the Duggar kids now!)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotmommy View Post
    the rate having been hiked from $1,300 per month.
    Hiked FROM $1,300 a month??????!!!!!! They were willing to pay that? Parents are total douches. Three accidents in three years. I wouldn't want to insure him either.

"We are doing this interview in the comfort of your living room, Ken Badger is over in the kitchen making breakfast. You live with Ken and Janson Towers, who is the best cook of the three of you?

Best cook Id have to say Badger, Im getting there. Janson doesnt really cook, he just eats out all the time cause he has lots of money, I dont have that luxury so I try to cook. (laughing). Badger is trying to teach me a thing or two, so Id say him." Source

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Make him walk or take the bus.

I can't even believe he still has a license, yet alone is insurable at all.

Yes, make that little asshat pay his own premiums instead of raising everyone else's to cover the cost of a few dumbass douches.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Thread Information