Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 year old dropped off at vacant daycare

Default 3 year old dropped off at vacant daycare

Tot left at vacant day care center - U.S. Life - MSNBC.com

LEXINGTON, Ky. - A 3-year-old boy was supposed to be dropped off at his day care in Rowan County, Ky., on Monday, but wound up at a vacant day care building instead.
    The mother of Donovan Blevins says the bus driver brought her son to the right day care for the past two weeks, and she wonders how that routine got fouled up on Monday when the boy was dropped off at a day care that had closed for two weeks.
    "He was knocking on the door, a 3-year-old knocking on the door, trying to get into the day care that's been closed for two weeks," said Diana Blevins.
    The most troubling part of the incident is that a speech and a hearing problem makes Donovan especially vulnerable.
    "He can barely say his own name," said Diana Blevins. "We rely on the school system to help take care of our kids, and we put them in their hands and they failed on me, they completely failed me. That bus driver and that monitor did not do their job. They let my son out by his self without no one there to reach for his hand. He's 3 years old."
    Another bus driver spotted Donovan and brought him to the right day care.
    Donovan's day care director said the incident was a clear violation. "The monitor has to physically hand a preschool child. You have to hold their hand or they won't let them off the bus," said Lacy Collins of Busy Bee Daycare.
    The Rowan County Schools superintendent said the driver is suspended until the investigation is complete, and that the bus monitor won't be riding buses anymore. And while Donovan is OK, his mother wants the driver and monitor fired.
    "I never want another mother to feel the way I feel, never," said Blevins. "I never want another mother to feel that way."
    The school superintendent said the bus driver is very competent and that everyone makes mistakes. He also said the school system has reviewed and updated its policies to make sure such an incident never happens again.

I wonder if the whole "Everyone makes mistakes"comment would have sufficed if the headline read as follows:

3 yr old Dropped At Vacant Daycare Found Dead a Mile Away of Apparent Abduction.
    I child-proofed my house but they keep getting back in!

Well the driver and monitor do deserve some severe reprimand at the least. I can totally understand how pissed off the mother is. Who wouldn't be spitting-nails mad?
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Hmm. I'm a mom and there's no fucking way I'm putting a 3 year old on a bus for someone else to make sure he gets somewhere. Especially with speech and hearing problems.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

^^^
    maybe the mother works? it's not like everyone has the choice and can be with their kid 24/7. i mean, something is seriously fucked up if you can't even trust the school bus to take your kid to school safely and it's not the parents' fault.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    Hmm. I'm a mom and there's no fucking way I'm putting a 3 year old on a bus for someone else to make sure he gets somewhere. Especially with speech and hearing problems.
    no kidding. wow.

SVZ

I dunno, you can't really blame the mother here, she probably works or something. Treatment for disabled children is not cheap, nor is it free. I was remember reading about how some treatment centers for autism cost upwards of $100 000 a year, and it's not covered by insurance.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    I totall agree MD.

Well, ok.....my 3 yr old rides a bus TO her preschool 5 days a wk. She goes to a private school that caters to Speech/Language delays, which she does have. She can talk, she can say her name, and speak in sentences, etc, but she does have a Speech delay. I pick her up everyday at school. The reason we decided for her to ride the bus in to school was in hopes of helping her social skills (she is painfully shy) and getting her used to being away from me a tad more. I do not work, I can take her to school. But, we decided to try the bus, and if it didn't work out, I'd take her, no big deal. SHE LOVES THE BUS! She is luckily the last child to be picked up, so she goes directly to school, no additional stops. All the kids get off at the same school.

Obviously, there is always a chance that something could go arwy, but in my opinion, the bus has truly helped her in ways that you wouldn't even imagine. IF however, anything like this ever happened to ANY CHILD at the school that my daughter goes to, I would immediately stop her from riding the bus, and would probably never let her ride a bus again! This is reprehensible and someone needs to get off their asses and figure out what happened and make goodamned sure it never happens again. I would be absolutely LIVID if it were my kid. Words cannot describe how pissed off I would be.

I can understand why someone would say 'I would never put my 3 yr old on a bus, especially if they have a speech/hearing issues'--I really can. Its not for everyone. But sometimes, it can be a really good thing too.

Ok, carry on!

Gold Member

^ That's interesting to hear. What with all the weird people out there, I'd be worried to do it, but each to her own.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Lynnie, I can so relate to your post and your situation. My daughter had that, and she grew out of it when she went into first grade. It took a while, but man is she.... communicative now. It is great that you took a leap of faith with your daughter, and that she's loving doing it.

Let me just clarify a bit: the bus is a SMALL bus (yes, the short bus) and I think only holds 6 children total. They are all in car seats, there is an Aide on the bus and the bus driver.

As I said earlier, she is the last to be picked up, and goes directly to school (which is approx 5 miles away) and they all get off at that school---there is no 'this student goes here, this student goes there' stuff.

Its very hard to explain, but I feel it has really helped her, in her social skills, but most importantly, her CONFIDENCE in herself! Something she didn't seem to have previously. She now knows that she can do things that she thought she couldn't, or didn't want to do before. And sure, she would have come along in a few years and would have ridden the bus to go to Kindergarten and it would have been fine, but she has really blossomed since the preschool year has started. And it's not all attributed to the bus, but that is a part of it.

I just saw her off a few minutes ago and it made me think of this......

So if you have disabled children, you are supposed to stay home with them all day or at least make sure you're available to chauffer them around to and from school? What a crock.

Maybe the mom works. Or, heaven forbid (and I know this is a stretch and/or novel concept), maybe the mom thought the bus driver and aide would do their fucking jobs which is to transport the children to their correct destinations and walk them in and make sure they get to where they're supposed to be going. I know, too much to expect obviously.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

I don't think anyone is saying that .... I take my son to the babysitter at around 5:00 am every morning and my babysitter puts all the kids on the bus and I meet the bus there and get him in the evenings. I don't know that I ever would have been able to feel good about him being on that bus at 3 years. But his bus has about 70 kids and no aide...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I just don't think 3 yr olds should be "dropped off" anywhere; why can't the person umm make sure they actually get inside? This makes me sad; I wonder what crazy shit was going through that kid's head.

^^^
    that's what they were supposed to do but the driver and the aide made a mistake and not only went to the wrong daycare, they just dumped the kid there.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information