Thread: Mummy of girl sacrificed by Incans prompts gasps

Default Mummy of girl sacrificed by Incans prompts gasps

Mummy of girl sacrificed by Incans prompts gasps - CNN.com

SALTA, Argentina (AP) -- Museum-goers gasped at the well-preserved mummy of an Inca maiden that is on display for the first time, a serene gaze etched on her face hundreds of years ago when she was sacrificed and froze to death in the Andes.
    Hundreds of people packed a museum in Salta, Argentina, to see "la Doncella" -- Spanish for "the Maiden" -- a 15-year-old girl whose remains were found in 1999 in an icy pit on Llullaillaco volcano, along with a 6-year-old girl and a 7-year-old boy.
    Scientists believe the so-called Children of Llullaillaco were sacrificed more than 500 years ago in a ceremony marking the annual corn harvest. Dressed in fine clothes and given corn alcohol to put them to sleep, the victims were then left to die at an elevation of 22,080 feet.
    "Just this morning we have had more than 700 people come see the exhibit, and we had hundreds yesterday when it opened," High Mountain Archaeological Museum director Gabriel Miremont said on Thursday.
    The mummy is kept in a chamber that pumps chilled air through a low-oxygen atmosphere, simulating the subfreezing conditions where it was found. The other two children are being studied and not on display.
    Seated with her legs bent and her arms resting on her stomach, the Maiden's remains are still adorned with a gray shawl and bone and metal ornaments. Scientists say her face was daubed with red pigment and around her mouth they found flecks of coca leaf, which is chewed by highland Indians to blunt the effects of altitude.
    The Children of Llullaillaco were found at the highest elevation ever discovered for sacrificial victims of the former Inca empire, which ran along the Andes from present-day northern Argentina to Peru.
    Several Indian groups waged a losing campaign to prevent the remains from going on display, arguing that the mummies should be buried or at least kept from public view.
    The exhibit is a "great mistake," said Miguel Suarez, a representative of the Calchaquies valley tribes in and around Salta.

A*O

I admit I find putting a real human being's remains on public display for everyone to gawp at rather mawkish and disrespectful too.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Gold Member

^ I know but at least she is somewhat remembered for her sacrifice or something.

^pretty good pun

Gold Member

^ I have made a pun? Please excuse for me being slow if this is obvious.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

wow thats crazy!!!

they used to put human remains on display in carnivals...

wtf are mummies if not human remains? It's a bloody mummy, just not wrapped in bandages.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Oooh, I love this kind of stuff! The hubby and I saw the Bodyworlds exhibition and it was so interesting. I would go see this if it came around to my area.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

^ I took a pic standing between two males and their skinless peens at that thing in nyc its a good pic if i do say so myself

^^ That's funny. They didn't allow any photography at the one we went to othwerwise I probably would have taken some compromising pics too.

I am still in such awe when I think about what I saw. It's like having the most complex robot ever and looking inside and just seeing wires. It's almost incomprehensible to me that we are what we are and capable of doing what we do, and it's all just soft mushy stuff inside. It's just crazy to me.

oh we didn't actually go in! it was a poster on the street right outside the building holding the exhibit at the south street seaport, we were in town for my grandfathers funeral but i swear, it was my best trip there in all my years! so could you smell the bodies or anything inside the exhibit?!

I still get the creeps looking at wax figures. I can't imagine looking at that up close.

It was amazing. The muscle looked like ham. I know that sounds weird, but it had the same color and seemed to have the same texture. And it's different with the skin all off. I think it would have been more creepy if the skin had been on and you could more clearly identify the faces as faces. If that makes sense. But without the skin, looking at them was a little more detached, I guess.

cool yo!

Thread Information