Login to remove the ads!

Thread: Woman banned from sea after 50 suicide attempts

Default Woman banned from sea after 50 suicide attempts

Woman banned from sea after 50 suicide attempts

Amy Beth Dallamura has tried to drown herself more than 50 times in the past five years

function show(boxid) {if (boxid == 'one') { hideall(); showstuff('one');}if (boxid == 'two') { hideall(); showstuff('two')}}function hideall(){hidestuff('one');hidestuff('two');}

A woman has been banned from going into the sea around the British coastline after trying to drown herself more than 50 times.
    Amy Beth Dallamura's suicide attempts over the past five years have cost emergency services up to 1million.
    The 44-year-old has tried to kill herself by jumping off piers and jetties and wading into the ocean.
    Police, lifeboats, coastguards and the RAF's air and sea rescue helicopters have all been involved in rescuing her.
    A policeman received a bravery award after swimming out to sea to save her.
    But police fear her regular "cries for help" are wasting emergency resources and putting lives at risk.
    In January, magistrates gave Miss Dallamura an Asbo banning her from entering the sea, beaches and parts of the promenade of her home town of Aberystwyth in west Wales.
    But last month she breached the order four times in five days.
    The former golf professional was stopped by police from going into the sea on June 21.
    Later that day she was winched from a cliff face after again trying to go into the sea.
    On June 23, she had to be airlifted to hospital after going into the sea and being pulled out of the water. Two days later she phoned police threatening to kill herself in the sea. She was found on rocks suffering from hypothermia.
    Miss Dallamura appeared at Aberystwyth Magistrates' Court last week for breaching the Asbo.
    She was bailed to an address in Sussex - which is why the Asbo was extended to cover all coastal waters. She will be sentenced for the breach at Swansea Crown Court next month.
    Prosecuting, Chris James told the January hearing: "She is playing an elaborate game of cat and mouse with police.
    "There are clear examples of her telling people what she is doing."
    Peter Wigan, defending, said that Miss Dallamura's troubles began in 2001 when health problems left her in constant pain with limited mobility in her back and hips.
    "It started after she had surgery which made the complaint worse. It was driving her to suicide.
    "If her problems could be addressed the emergency services would not be put under pressure and strain."
    Miss Dallamura said the pain was leading her to 'desperation' and that sanity was not a problem.
    Police and coastguards have conceded that her suicide attempts are a cry for help - but they say the rescues cannot go on.
    In January 2003, Pc Simon Tudor, based in Aberystwyth, was given a bravery award for rescuing her. He swam more than 300 yards, letting go of the safety line because it was not long enough.
    Police estimate that the rescues have cost 1million and claim her suicide bids are "anti-social" as they cause distress to those who see her.
    A Dyfed-Powys Police spokesman said: "Meetings have been held to assess Miss Dallamura's mental state but experts have been satisfied she suffers from no mental illness.
    "We took the step of applying for an Asbo because...we thought what she was doing was anti-social. It was causing the public who witnessed what she did distress.
    "She has called the police on countless occasions and it would be true to say that it has cost the service a significant amount of time, money and manpower."
    A Maritime and Coastguard Agency spokesman said: "Our aim is to prevent the loss of life. To save lives has always been our aim. "People who are despondent and try to take their lives do put pressure on the emergency services."

Woman banned from sea after 50 suicide attempts | the Daily Mail

After failing 50 times you'd think she'd try a different method of offing herself...

hasn't she heard of pills? hanging? guns? jumping off a bridge?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

It's attention-seeking behaviour. She's got some kind of personality disorder which she should be under treatment for.

^^ I agree.

She's putting other peoples lives at risk though (the police).
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Pffft. Attention-seeking much? Use cinderblocks next time!

just shoot her in the fucking head.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

A*O

If she REALLY wanted to kill herself it would only take one attempt. She's obviously nuts but it pisses me off that rescue and emergency services have to waste their precious resources on morons like this.

Judging by the way she's dressed did she try to kill herself in a skiing accident too? (hey, it's water too). Jump off the chairlift perhaps?
    Why do people say "Grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina! Those things take a pounding! -Betty White

50 times! She's not serious about killing herself. She's playing a sadistic expensive game. Experts say she suffers from no mental illness? I think not...one can drown oneself in a bathtub. She's batfuck.
    DH is a Siberian Tiger

Hmm...no offence, but even heaven (or hell) doesn't want you, so why keep trying?

Maybe the next meeting they hold to discuss her should have just one line:

Don't try saving her next time.

That's my suggestion for the meeting minutes.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

This so made me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    just shoot her in the fucking head.
    I agree! My mom tried to kill herself several months ago and ever since then I have NO compassion for any idiot that tries to do that.

Thread Information