Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One in three blame woman for rape

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default One in three blame woman for rape

David Fickling
    Monday November 21, 2005
    The Guardian

One in three people believes that women who behave flirtatiously are at least partially responsible if they are raped, a report published today reveals. A similar number think that women are partially or wholly responsible for being raped if they are drunk, and more than a quarter believe women are responsible if they wear sexy or revealing clothing.
    The Amnesty International report was described as "shocking" by the group's UK director, Kate Allen. "The government's policies on tackling rape are failing and failing badly," she said. Nearly 15% of respondents thought a woman would be partly responsible for being raped if she was known to have many sexual partners, and 8% totally responsible.

Article continues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Men are marginally more likely to blame the victim than women, although in the case of drunkenness 5% of women thought a woman would be totally responsible if she were raped, compared to 3% of men.
    Police recorded nearly 13,000 rapes last year, a figure thought to amount to only 15% of the true total since most rapes are never reported. The conviction rate for rape is 5.6% - the lowest ever recorded, with 741 cases resulting in conviction last year.

A study in 2002 found that one in 20 reports of rape led to conviction, compared to one in three in 1977. "There's pretty much a rape crisis in this country," said Amnesty spokesman Neil Durkin. "It's up to the government to change these attitudes, and look at to what extent they permeate the criminal justice system."

Ruth Hall, from the support group, Women Against Rape, said prejudices were ingrained in the way rape cases were examined."Let them worry about the awareness of the police, judges and the Crown Prosecution Service, and public awareness will change," she said.

A survey for the Association of Chief Police Officers released yesterday found that less than a quarter of police forces in England and Wales had dedicated rape investigation teams, although 85% were found to be meeting best practice standards for gathering evidence. endnote
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Default Re: One in three blame woman for rape

BOLLOCKS! How the fuck is it the woman's fault? Just because she dresses perocatively, she could walk around naked if she wanted it still doesn't give anyone the right to drag her down an ally and rape her.

I understand that some women dress and act slutty, get drunk and end up sleeping with someone, regret it the next day so cry rape but thats totally different. Women can't be expected to go out in pants and poloneck jumpers because they fear if they show a little leg they'll be raped - its ridiculous.
    No man is worth your tears, but once you find one that is, he won't make you cry
    G_ F_CK Y__RS_LF - Would you like to buy a vowel??

How many women are there, really, who cry rape after a regretable one night stand? Not many, I'll venture to guess. This whole thing shocks me and reminds me of the asshole judge in one of the southern states who wouldn't sentence a rapist to any time because his victim was wearing a short skirt with a thong. Nice, eh?

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Women should be aware of dangers of course but it is NEVER their fault if they get raped, it's ALWAYS the rapist's. Their argument is totally full of holes it's unbelievable they can even say it. It's actually quite insulting to men to say that, too, as though all it takes is a less dressed woman to turn them into frothing, dangerous sociopaths. Normal men who see a woman in a short skirt will feel no more than lust or think she's cute, the guys who want to do damage to her are not the ordinary but they're alluding that they are. Short skirts don't make a man a rapist, sickness does. Plus, rape is not something new since the invention of the mini, it's something that's been going on forever. Women in burkas get raped too! It's sick they'd rather make excuses for these men then make them own up to their problems and have their sicknesses treated.
    Last edited by savansa; November 21st, 2005 at 05:34 AM.

And rape isn't about titilation. It's about power and control. I cannot believe that in this day and age there are so many people clinging to the old idea that men just can't help themselves and women are just asking for it. I wonder if they'd be singing the same tune if it happened to them.

--Sinclair Lewis

^^^^^ Exactly!!

I agree with you guys, this theory is extremely insulting both to women and to men themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    How many women are there, really, who cry rape after a regretable one night stand? Not many, I'll venture to guess. This whole thing shocks me and reminds me of the asshole judge in one of the southern states who wouldn't sentence a rapist to any time because his victim was wearing a short skirt with a thong. Nice, eh?
    Believe me you'd be surprised. I went to school with a girl that always use to do it. She was known for being the biggest slag in town because whenever she went out she'd end up getting bladdered and having sex with some randon person. When she realised the next day that everyone knew about it, she'd feel embarrassed so tell everyone he took advantage coz she was off her head.

I knew a few girls that have done it, they won't be responsible for their own slutty actions so they blame the lad. I think that is so unfair. But blaming a girl for bringing rape upon herself for wearing revealing clothes is utterly disgusting. Its pathetic, I'd love to slap the person that thought this crock up. I bet he's a dirty old pervert.
    No man is worth your tears, but once you find one that is, he won't make you cry

This makes me SICK! It totally dismisses it as any sort of crime. It is a violent crime. People who believe theories like this have either never know anyone personally who has been raped, or ARE FUCKING STUPID and should just go dig a hole and live there. It's a serious issue and anyone who isn't sensitive to it is an asshole!

See, i can see the stupidity in a woman dressing like a complete whore and then bitching about 'unwanted advances'.. but rape?

Uh no. Rape is always the choice of the rapist, not the victim. That's why its fucking called rape!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

This is what I'd like to do to the person who thought this shite up

Quote Originally Posted by Tiara View Post
    BOLLOCKS! How the fuck is it the woman's fault? Just because she dresses perocatively, she could walk around naked if she wanted it still doesn't give anyone the right to drag her down an ally and rape her.

I understand that some women dress and act slutty, get drunk and end up sleeping with someone, regret it the next day so cry rape but thats totally different. Women can't be expected to go out in pants and poloneck jumpers because they fear if they show a little leg they'll be raped - its ridiculous.

Did you see those people on GMTV this morning...the QC and the woman from a rape charity? She kept calling rape 'rehp' with that broad Northern accent, made me want to sock my TV set.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    I was trying to explain this to a machismo pig I kno and he just couldn't understand; I think its almost impossible for a man to understand, women aren't obsessed and blinded by sex and sexual impulse, i can't go on on this matter cause like abortion rights issues; it just boils my blood and makes me do bad things but I will say this, like w/ abortion; if it was the man being the victim; there would be no question about blame and choice and bla bla bla, (god I wish i were gay on an island of lesbians only, my life would be so much easier)

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by Tiara View Post
    This is what I'd like to do to the person who thought this shite up

direct them to the eiffel tower, which is behind you and towards the right?

but anyways yes this is stupid. and men get raped too

Sure, there are ways to reduce your chances of being a victim, but no one is ever 100% safe from anything. That having been said, however, the only person responsible for rape is the damn rapist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information