Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NRA teaches kids what to do when they see a gun

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default NRA teaches kids what to do when they see a gun

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. — Five-year-old Jeff Jagels, of Bakersfield, Calif., is just starting school in Kern County (search), but he already knows what to do when he sees a gun.

And other 5-year-olds in his neighborhood are about to learn what Jagels knows, too.

"Stop, don't touch, leave the area, tell an adult," is what the youngsters are told by cartoon character Eddie Eagle.

The Eddie Eagle Gun Safety Program is a free National Rifle Association project that teaches kids what to do when they see a gun.

Click in the video box to the right for a complete report by FOX News’ Anita Vogel.

And Jeff Jagels' father thinks it’s a great idea.

“I realized that this thing is incredibly effective, and I became determined to get one into every kindergarten class in Kern County along with the accompanying teaching materials,” Edward Jagels said.

Jagels, who is the Bakersfield district attorney, is a member of the NRA (search) and said he was astonished by his son’s reaction. His little tyke wanted to watch the videotape over and over again, and quickly repeated the instructions sung by Eddie Eagle in the cartoon.

Jagels thought the project was so good, he took it to the superintendent of Kern County Schools, who liked the idea.

“The fact that we're teaching a child not to touch a gun, to walk away from it, to tell an adult about the gun, that's going to make a child safer,” said Superintendent Larry Reider.

But others disagree. Local emergency room doctor Art Kellermann has treated his share of juvenile gunshot victims. He’s skeptical of any plan that puts the burden on a young child to make a critical judgment about firearms.

“Nobody should trust Eddie Eagle to make their child any safer than before they took the program," Kellermann said. “Rather than try over and over again to gun-proof our kids, I think we ought to child-proof our guns."

The Kern County superintendent will be sending Eddie Eagle tapes out to the district next week — but says it will be up to the individual schools whether to use them.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I think it's reasonable to tell a child what to do if they encounter a gun. Even if you don't have guns in your household, that doesn't mean the kid won't ever see one.

I see what you're saying but I'm with the guy who says rather than gun proof our kids why not child proof our guns.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

My children have been around guns since they were small. They know the dangers of guns, and have always been taught not to touch or handle a gun alone. Now that they are older, they know how to handle a gun. We shoot targets quite a bit, and the younger one hunts with her stepdad...she has had the hunter's safety course that is required in our state (mississippi) for hunters under a certain age...
    I fully believe that it is the parent's responsibility to teach children the dangers of guns, but having this taught in school should reinforce what they have already learned. It's like teaching your kids the danger of drugs, then at school they have DARE programs and things like that. I think it is a good idea.

Hmmmm...I'm so anti-gun that I can't actuallly speak at the moment.

--Sinclair Lewis

I'm Canadian, so I don't understand the obsession with guns to begin with. I think it's a stupid idea to let your population even get near guns, because frankly people are fucking idiots.

Children around guns, no matter how conditioned they may be, just seems like a bad, BAD idea. Also, you're more likely to shoot a family member in your own house than a burglar.

The numbers just don't support gun ownership, and the downsides are prety much evident from the get-go.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

I swear. Guns freak me out. The ironic thing is, I have a damn good aim. At least, when I'm shooting the cat with a watergun, that is...

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I'm Canadian, so I don't understand the obsession with guns to begin with. I think it's a stupid idea to let your population even get near guns, because frankly people are fucking idiots.

Children around guns, no matter how conditioned they may be, just seems like a bad, BAD idea. Also, you're more likely to shoot a family member in your own house than a burglar.

The numbers just don't support gun ownership, and the downsides are prety much evident from the get-go.

You being Canadian doesn't have anything to do with it; Canadians own a lot of guns too. You're just anti-gun.

No, I'm anti-stupid people having access to weapons

That pretty much covers 80% of the population
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    No, I'm anti-stupid people having access to weapons

That pretty much covers 80% of the population

I think you are being charitable with your 80% figure.

Same here, I was being generous

A rare slip

Yes, Canadians own guns but the numbers don't even begin to compare even on a per capita basis.

Unless you live in the wilderness within the imminent threat of being eaten, I see no reason whatsoever why children, or anyone else for that matter,need be exposed to guns.

Come to think of it, we have bears all around us here where I live in West Van but I still don't own a gun. Never have,never will.

I've yet to hear one good reason for having one in the city and I grew up in the wilderness where all we had was a shotgun that was never used to my recollection.

I grew up in one of the most violent cities in the US and I didn't see a gun up close until I was a teenager, unless you count BB guns. I've never owned a gun in my life...though my British pacifist husband has...and I don't see us owning one in the future.

i find it sad that the world will come to a point where you see unsupervised guns lying about everywhere ...
    wish they will do the same with unexploded bombs/grenades.

My dad's family hunts quite a bit, so I remember from a very, very young age having the idea of not touching a gun instilled in me. I never remember guns being around any of our family member's houses, but it was most definitely something that I remember from a very young age.

I don't see how this video could possibly be a bad idea--esp. in an area heavily populated w/ hunters.
    A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world. Everyone you meet is your mirror. -Ken Keyes Jr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information