Thread: Bears are fighting mad!!!!

Default Bears are fighting mad!!!!

Word has gotten around and it looks like the bears are fighting back. I think this was a retribution killing. They're sending a message here to other kids.

AMERICAN FORK, Utah - An 11-year-old boy was dragged screaming from his family's tent and killed by a black bear during a Father's Day outing in the Utah wilderness.

The boy, his mother, stepfather and a 6-year-old brother were sleeping in a large tent Sunday night in American Fork Canyon, about 30 miles southeast of Salt Lake City, when the stepfather heard the boy scream "something's dragging me."

The boy and his sleeping bag were gone. The cut in the nylon tent was so clean, his family, who was not identified, first believed the boy had been abducted, U.S Forest Service officers said.

Wearing flip-flops and without a flashlight, the stepfather searched frantically for the boy and then drove a mile down a dirt road to a developed campground.

"He was pounding on my trailer door. He said somebody cut his tent and took his son," said John Sheely, host of the Timpooneke campground, who alerted authorities by driving down the canyon to a pay phone.

The boy's body was found about 400 yards away from the campsite, said Lt. Dennis Harris of the Utah County sheriff's office.

Wildlife officers led by hound dogs killed the bear Monday. After the bear was shot, an examination of the remains confirmed that it was the killer, the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources said.

"Truly a tragic event, said Jim Karpowitz, director of the agency. "Events of this type are extremely rare in Utah."

He declined to say how the confirmation was made "out of respect for the family."

Authorities said the bear, as much as 300 pounds, probably was the same one harassing another group of campers in the same spot before dawn Sunday. Kurt Francom said his son, Jake, was kicked in the head through a tent wall.

"It could have been my boy," said Francom, a school custodian.
    Wildlife officers used 26 dogs to track the bear's scent, shooting and wounding him. The creature wandered around wounded until officers shot and killed him several hours later, said Lt. Scott White of the state wildlife agency.

Authorities said the death was Utah's first fatal attack on a human by a black bear. It follows reports of several bear sightings during spring and occurred just hours after other people in the same primitive campsite likely encountered the same animal.

The attack occurred in American Fork Canyon, a popular camping destination with elevations as high as 11,000 feet.

"When it's hot and dry like this, bears are short of food," Karpowitz said.

In May, officials reported black bears in Provo Canyon and Park City, including one that ripped through a screen door at a cabin where residents had burned food and opened windows.

Officers killed that bear because it showed no fear when biologists tried to scare it away with firecrackers, the wildlife agency said.
    In July 2006, a black bear bit the arm of a 14-year-old Boy Scout while he slept in a tent, also in Utah County. The female bear returned to the campground and was killed.

Black bears, which are found in 27 states, are "generally less aggressive than other bears and don't prey on humans," said Stewart Breck, a wildlife biologist with the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Fort Collins, Colo.

The typical human-bear conflicts involve bears breaking into homes or cars.

"But it's not breaking into a tent and killing," Breck said.
    ___
    Associated Press writer Jennifer Dobner in Salt Lake City contributed to this report.
    I'm keeping an eye out for the sequel to this story "Dolphins Revenge". I'll keep you all posted.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Silver Member

All these people were doing was camping. Maybe they are fucking vegetarians.
    To insinuate this is some "hee hee" retribution is nauseating.
    http://dorkdejour.blogspot.com Just Pimpin my Podcast!!

Black bears rarely ever attack people contrary to myth. If they do, they are either deranged, after food that has been left out or somehow attracted them, or it is some kind of accident. Bears do not go on the rampage for humans.

When bears and humans mix, bears are almost always the losers. I feel very badly for this family.

Yea I thought black bears didn't "hunt" humans. This bear must be rabid or something.

SVZ

When I went camping a bear went through our campsite, it was around 4 am...nothing really happened all our food was up in the trees, he just kinda wandered around, poked at the coals and then left. It was damn scary though, they are HUGE and majestic!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MgMMD View Post
    All these people were doing was camping. Maybe they are fucking vegetarians.
    To insinuate this is some "hee hee" retribution is nauseating.
    Think this was in reference to the 7+ page thread about the little boy whose last wish was to hunt bears...
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

/\/\Yes it was rebel. May have been in bad taste though. But I thought at least some of the "I like animals better than people" posters would have come to hee-hee a little bit. Guess not then. Carry on!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Quote Originally Posted by nwgirl View Post
    /\/\Yes it was rebel. May have been in bad taste though. But I thought at least some of the "I like animals better than people" posters would have come to hee-hee a little bit. Guess not then. Carry on!
    Lord knows I won't be getting into that shit again
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

Thread Information