Thread: Another young woman murdered in "honour" killing

Default Another young woman murdered in "honour" killing

BBC NEWS | UK | England | London | 'Honour killing' relatives guilty
    Last Updated: Monday, 11 June 2007, 15:45 GMT 16:45 UK

'Honour killing' relatives guilty

Banaz Mahmod's body was found in a buried suitcase

A father has been found guilty of killing his daughter in what police have described as an honour killing.

The body of Banaz Mahmod, 20, was found in a suitcase buried in a garden in Birmingham last year.

Her father Mahmod Mahmod, 52, and uncle Ari Mahmod, 50, from Mitcham, south London, were both convicted of murder at the Old Bailey.

A third defendant, Darbad Mares-Rasull, was cleared of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.

Ari Mahmod was also found guilty of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.

Mohamad Hama, 30, of West Norwood, south London, an associate of Ari, has pleaded guilty to the murder.

Mahmod Mahmod (left) and Ari Mahmod
    Banaz's boyfriend was threatened by her family

Boyfriend's heartache
    Killed in the name of honour

Miss Mahmod was killed after falling in love with a man her family did not want her to marry.

Her father and uncle ordered the murder because they believed she had shamed the family, the three-month trial heard.

Banaz had made several attempts to warn police that her life was in danger, even naming those she thought would kill her.

In footage recorded following an earlier attempt on her life by her father in December 2005, she said she was "really scared".

However her statement following the assault was allegedly not taken seriously enough by investigating officers.

Several officers are being investigated as part of an internal review of the case by Scotland Yard's Directorate of Professional Standards.

Banaz fled but later went back to her family and tried to carry on her relationship with boyfriend Rahmat Sulemani in secret.

Mr Sulemani broke down in tears when giving testimony, saying they had been threatened with death if they carried on seeing each other.

He later said: "My life went away when Banaz died.

"The only thing which was keeping me going was the moment to see justice being done for Banaz."

'Ultimate betrayal'

Banaz was urged to stay at a safe house but told officers she believed she would be safe at home because her mother was there.

She disappeared on 24 January and her decomposed body was discovered in Handsworth, Birmingham, three months later.

Her sister Bekhal, 22, who is in hiding from the family, condemned her relatives for taking Banaz's life.

She said: "To do this to their own flesh and blood was unforgivable. Forgiveness isn't even a question. They don't deserve to be on this earth."

After the verdict, Detective Inspector Caroline Goode, said: "Clearly there is no honour in killing... I think it is the ultimate betrayal for a parent to kill a child."

CPS spokesman Paul Goddard said: "The murder of Banaz Mahmod by her father, uncle and their associates not only took away the life of a young woman, it left her boyfriend in fear of his life and also left other members of the family and the community in fear."

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

A tale as old as time; girl you got what you deserved...
    Did I just quote Justin Timberlake? OMG I did...
    No seriously, this shit is pretty fucked...
    They should have done female circumcision; that would have kept her in line and then we wouldn't have to be hearing of this tragedy.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

WTF I just dont understand?!!!!! for falling in love that is soooooooo not fair, how dare those assholes do that to her

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    A tale as old as time; girl you got what you deserved...
    Did I just quote Justin They should have done female circumcision; that would have kept her in line and then we wouldn't have to be hearing of this tragedy.
    Three reasons to be teacher: June, July, August.

I've heard of these kind of cases before. Some people really need to leave the old customs in the past and get dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Some people never evolved. I am surprised they are not striking two pieces of flint together still.

Bringing shame to your family, is a good enough excuse to kill your own flesh and blood? Give me a break. I think this shit is screwed up.

If everyone around the world followed this honour killing, most of us would be dead

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I know what I said was screwy; please let the gallows humor spread itself across the web.

Thread Information