Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woman sues Duncan Donuts over spilled hot coffee

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Woman sues Duncan Donuts over spilled hot coffee

A Staten Island woman who was badly burned after spilling scalding hot coffee on her lap is suing Dunkin' Donuts for a cool $15 million.
    Sharon Shea, 60, suffered second- and third-degree burns after the cardboard tray she was holding in the passenger seat of a friend's car toppled and spilled over her left leg and ankles.

"I'm in so much pain - oh God! It's excruciating pain," said Shea from her bed in the intensive care burn unit of Staten Island University Hospital. "It's just excruciating pain that I wouldn't wish on anybody."

The coffee crisis happened Nov. 12 after Shea and a friend pulled out of a Forest Ave. Dunkin' Donuts drive-through and headed to a strip mall across the street. When the pal tried to park, lids on two cups came off, causing 200-degree java to spill and soak through her jeans, her lawyer said.

In a lawsuit filed yesterday in Staten Island Supreme Court, Shea says the lids weren't fastened when employees passed the cups through a drive-through window around 1:30 p.m.

"I thought I was dying - that's how bad it was," said Shea, a mother of two who lives in Dongan Hills. "All my skin was pulled back like a nylon stocking a lady takes off."

Now, doctors said Shea - who has already spent six days at Staten Island University Hospital - may have to undergo a skin graft.

The lawsuit is reminiscent of a 1992 case in which a New Mexico woman was awarded $2.9 million after spilling scalding hot coffee from McDonald's. That case drew jeers from around the world for what was considered the frivolity of the claim.

Lawyer Jonathan D'Agostino insisted Shea's case is different because his client hadn't touched the coffee before it spilled - unlike in the McDonald's case, in which 79-year-old Stella Liebeck opened the lid.

"In the McDonald's case, I believe the woman removed the coffee cover before it spilled on her and she was found partially at fault," said D'Agostino. "In our case, our client never even touched the cover."

The Massachusetts-based Dunkin' Donuts has more than 6,000 shops worldwide, including 331 in the five boroughs. A spokesman said the company had launched its own probe of the incident.

"The safety of Dunkin' Donuts customers is extremely important to us," said spokesman Andrew Mastrangelo. "Upon learning of this report, we immediately began an investigation to obtain the facts and evidence of this case in the hopes of determining what happened."
    Ok, maybe this isn't like the McDonalds case but still, 15 million? I'm a little bit sick of people having accidents and thinking it's a windfall. I'm sure it sucked and I'm sure someone fucked up but it seems like this woman is going for the money.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Default Re: Woman sues Duncan Donuts over spilled hot coffee.

"I thought I was dying - that's how bad it was," A little dramatic perhaps?

People will sue over anything these days.

The best was the men who were suing mcdonalds for making them fat!!!
    No man is worth your tears, but once you find one that is, he won't make you cry
    G_ F_CK Y__RS_LF - Would you like to buy a vowel??

I'm thinking if she is in the burn unit, and has been for five days, there is some legitimacy to this story...although I agree she is being dramatic because millions are sure to come.

But I hate it when the drive thru peeps don't feel like putting the cover on...I've had this happen with cold drinks. The sensation was so icy cold I still have nightmares about it...

I should have called a lawyer.
    Let's AV DIS!

McD's had to adjust the temperature of the coffee - they had it like 80 degrees higher than their own guidelines suggested. You would think that fast food places learned from what happened in that case. $15 mil is ridiculous, and that kind of amount makes any legitimate claim look fraudulent.

At any rate, I will say that it's ridiculous how flimsy cardboard carriers have become. I was trying to take home two smoothies and asked for a carrier. I was given one that seemed ok, until I went to take it out of the car. The whole center was caving in. They are made of the absolute cheapest material in the cheapest way possible. I was able to stop it before the drinks fell, but it was a close call.

Speaking as a burn victim-(fire, not hot coffee) it is the most excrutiating pain you will ever feel in your life. I don't want to minimize her pain at all, I'm sure it hurt like a bitch. If the courts find DD at fault, they should pay her medical bills and any therapy she may have to go through, but that is extortion IMO. (the 15 million)
    Scenario-I am in the passenger seat, friend hand me coffee-FIRST thing I do is make sure lid is on...a little common sense could have gone a long way here...driver drives extra careful cause I do have 2 cups of steaming coffee in my lap and wouldn't want to spill it on me...again, common sense....

It's too bad the car didn't crash, thus sparing us this womans obvious dash for cash.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

So whatever happens, DD will have to adjust the temperature of its coffee, so whatever I buy there will be tepid by the time I get it to work. I know burns are serious and painful, that is why I take extra precautions when I am in a situation where I might get burned (like coffee in my lap in a moving car) That is what the cupholders in my car are for.
    Keep passing the open windows.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I'm with all of you who say why didn't the silly woman check the lids. And why was she driving with a couple of hot coffees on her lap? Take some bloody responsibility for your own actions. It's people like her who will help push through the repugs anti-suing bills, which cap the amounts you can sue for, particularly in medical malpractice suits...meaning that if some doctor cuts off the wrong leg by accident, your suit would be capped at about a quarter mil. Fucking people...stupid, stupid, stupid.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgow53 View Post
    So whatever happens, DD will have to adjust the temperature of its coffee, so whatever I buy there will be tepid by the time I get it to work. I know burns are serious and painful, that is why I take extra precautions when I am in a situation where I might get burned (like coffee in my lap in a moving car) That is what the cupholders in my car are for.
    No kidding! Idiots like this woman are part of the reason it is so difficult for people who are legitimately injured by an unforseeable, unpreventable event to recover damages.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Yeah, the stupidity of people never fails to amaze me. You want to have a laugh just look at some of the ridiculous labeling on common household products, common sense things. You know they have them labeled because some brainless moron with dollar signs in their eyes misused the item in that weird fashion. If the drinks were that hot why not simply put the tray on the floor of the car. I've done it, better to have spilled whatever on a washable floor mat than your clothing.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Angry Re: Woman sues Duncan Donuts over spilled hot coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiara View Post
    People will sue over anything these days.

The best was the men who were suing mcdonalds for making them fat!!!
    people like this are absolutely disgusting! they are the type who never grow up to take care of themselves and have to depend on others for $ and favors. I hate how litigious our lazy society is getting; its ridiculous and these people should be ashamed or themselves and totally embarrassed for being such lecherous pigs who can't make it on their own or take any responsibility for their lives or actions.

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

O.K. I have an older Mercedes and there are NO cupholders. When I go through the drive through I have to have the passenger hold our order on her lap. The woman should have checked the lids, but so should have DD. I say she should sue for her medical expenses, after care and a bit for all the pain and suffering. Also insist the stupid employee is fired.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Quote Originally Posted by nana55 View Post
    O.K. I have an older Mercedes and there are NO cupholders. When I go through the drive through I have to have the passenger hold our order on her lap. The woman should have checked the lids, but so should have DD. I say she should sue for her medical expenses, after care and a bit for all the pain and suffering. Also insist the stupid employee is fired.
    I don't have any cupholders either so I rarely get coffee while I'm driving. I'm not a fan of fast food or drive thrus anyway. If I do get coffee, I make sure I pour it into a stainless steel thermal mug that I keep in my car.

I just can't imagine a Canadian suing over this. We'd be shamed/laughed out of court. And no judge would give more than a few thousand in damages even if it got that far.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post

I just can't imagine a Canadian suing over this. We'd be shamed/laughed out of court. And no judge would give more than a few thousand in damages even if it got that far.
    Yeah, that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information