Thread: Court upholds death sentence for child rape

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Thumbs up Court upholds death sentence for child rape

Court upholds death sentence for child rape

Story Highlights
    Louisiana Supreme Court rules in favor of death penalty for child rape
    Lawyers say test case could go to U.S. Supreme Court
    1977 ruling says execution is cruel and unusual punishment in sex cases
    Patrick Kennedy, 42, convicted of raping relative as she sorted Girl Scout cookies

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (AP) -- Louisiana's Supreme Court ruled Tuesday that a man may be executed for raping an 8-year-old girl, and lawyers say his case may become the test for whether the nation's highest court upholds the death penalty for someone who rapes a child.

Both sides say the sentence for Patrick Kennedy, 42, could expand a 1977 U.S. Supreme Court ruling that held the death penalty for rape violated the Eighth Amendment protection against cruel and unusual punishment. The high court said then that its ruling applied only to adult victims.

Attorney Jelpi Picou, director of the New Orleans-based Capital Appeals Project, said he will ask the Louisiana Supreme Court for a rehearing and, if rejected, will go to the U.S. Supreme Court.

"As horrid as (rape) is and as harshly as we believe it should be condemned, death is inappropriate in this case," Picou said.

Louisiana law allows the death penalty for the aggravated rape of someone less than 12 years old.

"He's the only person in the United States on death row for non-homicide rape," Picou said.

Kennedy was convicted in 2003 of raping a relative as she sorted Girl Scout cookies in the garage of her home in suburban New Orleans. He bragged to one man that the girl "became a lady today," deputies said.

His defense attorney at the time argued that blood testing was inconclusive and that the victim -- who didn't report that Kennedy was her rapist until 21 months later -- was pressured to change her story.

In Tuesday's opinion, Justice Jeffrey Victory wrote, "Our state Legislature and this court have determined this category of aggravated rapist to be among those deserving of the death penalty, and, short of a first-degree murderer, we can think of no other non-homicide crime more deserving."

Victory wrote that the Louisiana law meets the U.S. Supreme Court test requiring an aggravating circumstance -- in this case the age of the victim -- to justify the death penalty.

The governors of South Carolina and Oklahoma signed laws last year allowing the death penalty for people who repeatedly rape children. Richard Dieter of the Death Penalty Information Center in Washington, D.C., said he doesn't know of any successful prosecution under either of those laws.

A bill that would allow the death penalty for a second offense of child rape is awaiting the governor's decision in Texas.

Georgia law allows death as a penalty for rape. Dieter said Florida and Montana also have such laws, but authorities have said the penalty would be invoked only for rape of a child.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Find this article at:
    Court upholds death sentence for child rape - CNN.com
    YES! AND MORE OF THESE SHOULD BE HANDED OUT TO DAMN CHILD PREDATORS!!!! there's nothing lower on this earth imo.

Well, he can become a man walking to the death chamber-the worthless jack ass. 8!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

If you're gonna let him live, at least chop it his dick off, saute it, and feed it to the fucker. And if we're gonna be killing him, do it anyway for good measure. Why make his death far easier than the rest of her life will be?
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

^ yes I'm also for castration of these sickos! any child predators and/or rapist monsters.

Buh-bye!

Gold Member

When people say to me the Death Penalty is not a deterrent, I always reply "At least they don't do the crime again when their punishment is meted out."

The problem in those cases is not that the Death Penalty is not a deterrent, it's that it could push a child rapist to murder the child to avoid the risk of his testimony

Quote Originally Posted by lalala View Post
    The problem in those cases is not that the Death Penalty is not a deterrent, it's that it could push a child rapist to murder the child to avoid the risk of his testimony
    We all ready have the death penalty for cop killing ,etc. Some kill-some don't. Most child rape cases already end with a dead child. I don't see this being the case at all,really.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

A wrote a paper discussing the different types of rape and what would cause a predator to kill thier victim. Most people who kill the victim are repeat offenders who don't want to get caught again...

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    YES! AND MORE OF THESE SHOULD BE HANDED OUT TO DAMN CHILD PREDATORS!!!! there's nothing lower on this earth imo.
    Amen.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne2007 View Post
    When people say to me the Death Penalty is not a deterrent, I always reply "At least they don't do the crime again when their punishment is meted out."
    exactly - this whole story makes me sick.

I think they deserve they death penalty. I fucking hate pedophiles and I will never have compassion on them ever. Let the fuckers fry and if such a place exists I hope they burn in fucking hell for all eternity.

^ they also say that they are virtually impossible to rehabilitate so why bother with them at all, get them out of our society! And if I had a son who did something like that; I'd do it myself to him!

Default yes!

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    I think they deserve they death penalty. I fucking hate pedophiles and I will never have compassion on them ever. Let the fuckers fry and if such a place exists I hope they burn in fucking hell for all eternity.
    I agree 100%
    My goal is to be happy with my life.

Paedos are gross..even other criminals hate them I think

Thread Information