Thread: 146 inches and counting....I live near there. It's insane.

Default 146 inches and counting....I live near there. It's insane.

The snow just won't stop. Intense lake-effect snow squalls that buried communities along eastern Lake Ontario for nine straight days diminished Sunday _ then started up again early Monday.
    Unofficially, the squalls have dumped 12 feet, 2 inches of snow at Redfield. If accurate, that would break the state record of 10 feet, 7 inches of snow that fell in nearby Montague over seven days ending Jan. 1, 2002, said Steve McLaughlin, a meteorologist for the National Weather Service in Buffalo.

A weather service representative was being sent to Redfield on Monday to verify the total.

Residents of this hardy upstate New York village seem unfazed. Redfield, whose economy thrives on snowmobilers and cross-country skiers, receives an annual average of 270 inches _ more than 22 feet.

"It's snow. We get a lot of it. So what?" said Allan Babcock, a lifelong resident who owns Shar's Country Diner, a popular eatery in this village of 650 people.

However, Gov. Eliot Spitzer has declared a state disaster emergency in Oswego County. The county's community of Parish had recorded 115 inches by early Sunday. Mexico had 103 inches, North Osceola had 99 and Scriba 94. The city of Oswego had 85 inches.

The persistent snow bands that have wracked the county for a week were expected to finally end later Monday.

"We have a sharp front coming in Monday that's going to kick all this out. We may get one more burst of snow. But then it's over. Finally, some mercy," McLaughlin said.

However, the forecaster noted that a coastal winter storm expected midweek could bring another 6 to 12 inches to areas of upstate New York.

As the bands shifted north into Jefferson County most of Sunday, residents continued recovering from the heavy snow. Roads were mostly cleared as workers turned their attention to removing the snow and trimming down 10- and 12-foot-high snow banks that continued to make driving dangerous.

The snow led to surreal scenes. One house appeared to be in a cocoon. Drifting snow in the front had swallowed the front door and blocked the windows.

"In all my life, I mean my entire life combined, I've never seen this much snow at once," said Jim Bevridge, 47, of Timmonium, Md., who drove up for a long weekend of snowmobiling.

BREITBART.COM - New York Town May Have Hit Snow Record

I live very close to Oswego NY, and its getting crazy.

That is crazy weather! Must make going anywhere almost impossible

This kind of snowfall is almost unheard of in the eastern US. I can only imagine that sidewalks that have been shoveled out must feel like canyons. Will there be flooding if it all melts too quickly this spring?
    Last edited by Sojiita; February 12th, 2007 at 06:52 PM.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

I vaguely remember snow like that when I was a little girl on the prairies. Snowdrifts that blocked doorways, buried cars and sheds, and made you feel like you were living inside a giant feather pillow.

Elite Member

shucks lynnie that sucks!!
    you should come visit california for a vacation sometime..none of this snow and cold business

I hear that xoxo Louisiana's the same we haven't seen snow like that ever not that I really think i want to but i'd like to be able to build a snowman more than 1 foot high once in my life lol

I want snow . Not a single centimeter this winter . Rain and rain and, what a surprise , more rain

well someone at the store told me we are supposed to get some by tomorrow i'm holding my breath

Thread Information