Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Family sues over son being put in a 'body sock' as punishment

Talking Family sues over son being put in a 'body sock' as punishment

A family in Pinellas County, Fla., whose son was put into a large "body sock" by teachers as punishment, is considering suing the school board after an investigation found the sack was used appropriately on the boy.

Recently, some school pre-kindergarten teachers came under fire when parent Patrick Holt complained that a "body sock" was used on his 4-year-old son without his permission.

"I don't like it at all," Holt said. "I don't think it should be used on anybody."

The manufacturers said the "body sock" is designed to help children explore three-dimensional space. And, an occupational therapist said the "body sock" is primarily meant for autistic children.

However, Holt's son is not disabled.

Pinellas County School Board released the results of its investigation into the controversial teaching tool Monday.

"Teachers behaved in an appropriate manner in responding to a situation where a student needed to be calmed down for the safety and security of all the students in the classroom," Pinellas County School Board member Andrea Zahn said.

The School Board said the teachers admitted the parents were not aware of the body sock and its use on their child.

Zahn said the information about the body sock will be part of orientation next year.

The Holt family said they strongly disagree with the board's findings and have hired an attorney.

http://www.local6.com/2007/0124/10832198.jpg
    ROFLMAO
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Now that's funny lol.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Anyone ever put my son in something like that would be removing their teeth from their throat. If my son ever got so "out of control" that they put him in something like that (not that he has or ever would) they better call me to come down take care of it myself.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

I'm a bit claustrophobic...and just the sight of that thing makes my pulse race. If somebody stuffed me in that I'd go batshit nuts! I'd almost rather they spanked my child than resorted to some sort of strange nylon/spandex punishment.

Okay maybe it's because I'm tired but I can't stop laughing looking at that I keep imagining a whole classroom full of kids dressed like that .
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Quote Originally Posted by Mariesoleil View Post
    Okay maybe it's because I'm tired but I can't stop laughing looking at that I keep imagining a whole classroom full of kids dressed like that .

I can see a whole classroom in something like that as fun, but forcing a child into it can be terrifying. I remember when I was younger my older brothers would hold me down or under blankets and I would terrified, I am very claustrophobic because of it. I wouldn’t put my cat's head in a sock and sure as hell wouldn’t do it to a small child.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

I wouldn’t put my cat's head in a sock and sure as hell wouldn’t do it to a small child.
    Why does this sentence make me think you've done the cat sock thing
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Well actually their head isn't stuck in it. It's just their body the head sticks out of the top. So basically it's just their body that's in the sock and not their head. If you look at where the shoulders are on the guy you can see that the head isn't in the "bodysock". Now if the head was in it, it would be a different matter but since it isn't I find it quite funny.

If they told me they put my kid in that thing I'd probably blink at them for a minute then start giggling.

...then I'd probably want to try it

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by Mariesoleil View Post
    Well actually their head isn't stuck in it. It's just their body the head sticks out of the top. So basically it's just their body that's in the sock and not their head. If you look at where the shoulders are on the guy you can see that the head isn't in the "bodysock". Now if the head was in it, it would be a different matter but since it isn't I find it quite funny.

that looks like FUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Why does this sentence make me think you've done the cat sock thing

Welll...Maybe once or twice, but who is counting?

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Jeebus Christ, maybe the school are just overwhelmed with out of control brats since they've all but lost their authority to discipline anymore. I think all public school teachers should just go on strike and let parents teach their kids since they know so damn much.
    The problem is, nobody ever thinks their kid is really that bad....just misunderstood or too bright for the school to handle.

I love how the punishment is basically harmless (for god's sake, its spandex) and the parents are all ready to sue sue sue for all of 10 mins worth of their kid dressed like a tard for misbehaving.

Anything to make a fucking buck.

If the kid was that horrible they need to call the parents to come and pick the brat up, but they don’t because they are afraid to lose a customer, so they do under handed things to keep the kid quiet without the parent’s knowledge. So in the end it is not about the kid being a brat it is about $.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information