Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Center of our Galaxy a Massive Black Hole?

SVZ

Default Center of our Galaxy a Massive Black Hole?

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Chinese scientists said on Wednesday they had gathered evidence that shows a giant object in the center of our galaxy is a super-massive black hole.

Zhi-Qiang Shen and researchers at the Shanghai Astronomical Observatory captured radio waves emitted just beyond the edge of the mysterious object, known as Sagittarius A, with a system of 10 radio telescopes spread across the United States.

In a report in the science journal Nature they said it "provides strong evidence that Sgr A is a super-massive black hole."

The celestial objects that suck in everything around them including light are among the most mysterious objects in the universe. They are formed when matter from a dying star collapses under its own gravity.

Black holes have been described as the ultimate victory over gravity because of their ability to suck in stars and other galactic features.

Scientists have long suspected the presence of a black hole in the center of the Galaxy. Astronomers believe it is four million times more massive than our Sun.

The research reported in Nature suggests the black hole is as wide as the radius of the Earth's orbit.

"These observations provide strong evidence that Sgr A is indeed a black hole, and afford a glimpse of the behavior of the matter that is about to flow into it," said Christopher Reynolds, of the University of Maryland in the United States, in a commentary in the journal.

He described the findings as a further step towards capturing an image of the shadow around the edge of a black hole, which would be a classic test of Albert Einstein's general theory of relativity.

The theory predicts that massive bodies -- planets, stars or black holes -- actually twist time and space around as they spin.

A*O

So we are all going to die, right?
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Stuff like that scares the shit out of me,aint gonna read it LOL

Who didn't already know about this?

Lots of people.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Buts its a few billion years before it will have any effect on us.

So its not really scary. Human race will probably be extinct anyway.
    An EM is like a Scientologist - Unhinged and Unbelievable - Now shutup and place your hands on my EM-Meter

yeah, the sun should go supernova and wipe the Earth out before the black hole would ever effect us

how does a black hole "twist time"? for some reason, i can't mentally grasp that one. is that supposed to be like time travel?

SVZ

in simple terms...any mass bends space-time. the more mass you have the more space-time bends. it occurs in 4 dimensions, but you can picture it in 2d. just think of a grid, the higher the mass the more the grid stretches downwards at that point, the grid represents space-time.

the sun even warps space-time around tiself, the earth orbits around the sun because it travels along the shortest possible path in space time, which turns out to be a curved path. moving objects follow the curvature of space time, i.e. they take the shortest path.

in the theory of relativity, you can imagine everything that occurs as an 'event' in space time. from one observer's point of view, X Y and Z can define a position in space. There's also another co-ordinate t, which defines position in time. but because of length contraction and time dialation, another observer will have completely different measurements of that same event. then you can do some fun pythagoras' theorum to show that (seperation in space time)^2 = (x^2 + y^2 + z^2 - c^2t^2) <--- don't ask me what this equation fully proves because i dont understand it fully either

at a black hole's singularity the curvature of space-time is so extreme that nothing, not even light can escape. matter goes in, but can't escape because nothing can travel faster than light (it's not possible despite Sci-Fi).

Well, theoretically nothing can go faster than light.. but if we can teleport various quarks, gluons and whatever else we've managed to do lately i dunno how much water einsteins limitation holds.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

SVZ

well it's just a theory based on two postulates. the two postulates of special relativity are that the speed of light in a vacuum is the same constant for all inertial observers, and that the laws of physics are the same for all inertial observers. an inertial frame is a frame that is either stationary or moving with constant velocity (newton's laws). first the first postulate is experimentally verfied, whereas the second is just generally accepted as true and reasonable because newton's laws don't differentiate between something at rest and at constant velocity, a = 0.

so you get the lorentz factor which is the time dilation formula which also describes the proportion at which length contracts when affected by relative motion. delta t = 1 / root ( 1 - v^2 / c^2 ) x delta t-initial

the lorentz factor (y) is y = 1 over root ( 1 - v^2 / c^2 ) and if you combine the two forumlas you get delta t = y x delta t-initial.

at low velocities the lorentz factor is about equal to one, it starts approaching infinity near the speed of light (c)

so if we look at the inertial mass quantity of what is known as mass, according to newton's law f=ma, a constant force produces a constant acceleration because mass stays the same. if this were always true than any velocity could be achieved, even faster than light. you just apply force and wait.

but this doesn't happen, as soon as you approach the speed of light acceleartion gets less, even if the force is constant. since the force is constant and the acceleration is decreasing - mass must be increasing. there's a ratio between the mass when it's moving at constant velocity, and when the mass is at rest, which is equal to the lorentz factor y. m = ym0 is the new mass.

the extra mass comes from the gain in energy, mass energy. which is what E = mc^2 shows. (the same happens in some forms of alpha and gamma radioactive decay, where mass becomes energy and energy becomes mass).

so ou can use the lorentz factor to predict the increase in mass of an object. he greater the speed of the object, the greater it's mass. a greater mass means you need more force to produce the same acceleration. the same force moving a larger mass object would create less acceleration. as the object approaches the speed of light, mass approaches infinity. this means that an infinite force would be needed to accelerate it even fractions of a m/s more. anything with mass can never attain the speed of light.

entangled electrons, etc, don't "teleport" in what we think of it is. it's quantum teelportation, which is transmitting it's quantum state, through a medium using less information than would really need to describe that quantum state.

You didn't actually just type all that out did you

SVZ

it took me a while but i've been trying to get another physics credit for a while

ROFl, god..

Science!!!
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information