Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nancy Grace refuses to take any responsibility for suicide

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Nancy Grace refuses to take any responsibility for suicide

Sept. 15, 2006 - Former prosecutor turned talk show host Nancy Grace is unapologetic about her aggressive approach to a mother who committed suicide after their televised interview about the woman's missing son.

Twenty-one year-old Melinda Duckett was the mother of 2-year-old Trenton Duckett, who has been missing since Aug. 27.

Duckett appeared on Grace's show on Sept. 7, and before it was over, the talk show host was pounding her desk and demanding, "Where were you? Why aren't you telling us where you were that day?"

One day later, Duckett shot and killed herself just hours before the taped interview aired on CNN Headline News.

In an exclusive interview with "Good Morning America" today, Grace said that she takes no responsibility for Duckett's suicide.

"If anything, I would suggest that guilt made Melinda Duckett commit suicide," Grace told ABC News' Chris Cuomo.

"To suggest that a 15 or 20 minute interview can cause someone to commit suicide is focusing on the wrong thing," she said.

Interview or Inquisition?

Melinda Duckett reported her son missing from their Leesburg, Fla., home on Aug. 27. She said he disappeared from his crib while she watched a movie on television with friends.

Investigators have stopped short of calling Duckett a suspect but have focused increasing attention on her movements just before the boy vanished. Police have seized notes, a computer, camera and other items from her home.

Duckett's family members disputed any suggestion that she hurt her son. They said that the strain of her son's disappearance pushed her to the brink, and the media sent her over the edge.

"Nancy Grace and the others, they just bashed her to the end," Duckett's grandfather Bill Eubank told the Associate Press Tuesday.

Some media analysts agree, saying Grace's interview went too far.

"How is that questioning doing anything but making a person in a desperate situation feeling even more desperate?" said Hub Brown, a professor at Syracuse University's Newhouse School of Communications.

Grace, however, insists her line of questioning was reasonable.

"Long story short, Trenton Duckett is still missing," she said on "Good Morning America." "And now police are agreeing with me."

Grace said that Duckett would not provide a timeline for her whereabouts in the 24 hours before her son's disappearance.

Duckett also appeared to stumble over Grace's questions about whether or not she took a polygraph test or where, exactly, she was shopping with the boy before his disappearance.

Unanswered Questions -- and a Mystery Remains

But now that Melinda Duckett is dead, none of those questions can be answered. Cuomo asked Grace if she felt her hard line stance has compromised the police investigation.

"No I don't," Grace said. "Any interview followed hours and hours of police interrogation of Melinda Duckett. Unfortunately, Melinda Duckett had attempted suicide in the past."

Grace added that in murder and missing persons cases, it's common sense to look at the last person seen with the victim.

"And she [Duckett] admitted to her own lawyer...she grabbed a shotgun, diaper bag and the baby hours before he went missing and went on an eight hour odyssey through a national forest for target practice," she said. "And that is actually where police are searching today with cadaver dogs."

Police concluded their search Thursday night in Ocala National Forest for 2-year-old Trenton. They say they have no physical evidence linking Melinda Duckett to the area of the forest canvassed by investigators. A search of construction site earlier this week also turned up nothing.

Trenton Duckett's family is holding a prayer vigil in Leesburg for the boy.

Grace concluded by saying, "I am asking for people's help in finding the boy."
    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=2448050&page=1

OK, I have no idea whether this woman harmed her kid or not but damn I'm really feeling the evilness of Nancy Grace. The woman has made a career out of a long-ago tragedy and seems to think that that gives her some sort of special dispensation to be judge and jury. I really hope CNN cans her ass. And I really hope this mother didn't kill her kid...not only for the sake of the kid and the family but also because this will all become Nancy Grace's Jenny Jones moment and we can kiss her crazy ass good bye. She is one heartless bitch.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

ANC

I don't blame Nancy, and neither does the boy's father. He was on Bill O'Reilly last night and said in no way did he think Nancy's interview caused her to kill herself. He said she tried to kill herself in the past and she was unstable.
    Too many idiots, not enough villages.

But remember that the boy's father was in the middle of a divorce from the mother, who had a restraining order against him. I just don't know what happened but I saw that interview and Nancy Grace is just a rotten person.
    Last edited by buttmunch; September 15th, 2006 at 12:46 PM.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Whether she feels bad about it or not, it wouldn't be too smart to admit it at this point. Lawsuits, you know.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Fair enough. This case in general leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. No one actually knows what happened yet all sorts of conclusions are being jumped to. I know we all sit around being arm chair analysts and critics, but here is a case where a little boy is missing and his mother is dead. I'm sort of sick of these high profile cases where everyone makes up thier minds about what happened and then, when the truth eventually comes out, most don't care, don't hear about it or refuse to give up thier original hypothesis.
    Nancy Grace has already condemned the woman, saying on GMC that she committed suicide out of guilt. Because Nancy knows the mind of this woman, I guess. Maybe she should revamp herself as a clairvoyant.
    Last edited by buttmunch; September 15th, 2006 at 12:47 PM.

--Sinclair Lewis

I watched Nancy last night and she was discussing this case, yet never mentioned that the mother had committed suicide, until WELL into her conversations w/the panel (at least 15 min in). Was starting to wonder if I was watching a prerecorded show.....but then she casually slipped it in.
    I don't know either if this chick harmed her kid, I think she probably did, but Nancy ain't bowing to anything here. If anything, she's even more adament about nailing the mom.

Even if it was the mother, the woman should have been vetted by the producers beforehand. They should have known she had attempted suicide in the past and was a bit fragile, especially considering the situation with the kid and the husband. But ratings rule and rather than take the high road, they threw her to Nancy the raging, rabid lioness.

--Sinclair Lewis

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

-she didn't have anything to do with it; if anyone took the time to research this story they would find out that the woman who killed herself was deeply disturbed and her son's father had made several complaints to the police about her. She was pretty fucked up actually and she went on Nancy Grace of her own free will. She probably just had a guilty consciounnss.
    -I like that Nancy Grace goes after ppl; she's a strong victim's advocate and its nice to have one w/ such a large public audience.

^^ I agree..Nancy can be A HUGE bitch at times...but this woman was guilty of something..who kills themsevles when they are unsure of their child being alive/dead? She keeps changing her story, wouldn't take a polygraph, then claimed her OWN FRIENDS did not know she had a child..please this woman probably just wanted to get rid of the child as sad as it is.
    Life will break you. Nobody can protect you from that, and living alone won't either, for solitude will also break you with its yearning. You have to love. You have to feel. Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable.

I have to agree with buttmunch that Nancy Grace could have (and in my opinion, should have), handled this differently. Even though the mother's behavior was suspicious, she was definitely mentally ill which sheds a different light on this subject.
    Burt Johnson: I don't drink because drinking affects your decision-making.
    Arthur: You may be right. I can't decide.

That's the thing. If she was mentally unstable the producers of Nancy Grace's show should surely have known about that since they supposedly check everyone's background and generally vet them for broadcast. They must've known this woman had already tried suicide, was pretty shakey to start with and, with the situation such as it was, was probably extremely shakey. And I wouldn't say that a person wouldn't commit suicide in this situation over guilt--although she may well have--we can't say how we'd act in a similar situation unless we had her background and life. I think having a kid snatched while going through an apparenlty nasty divorce and having just lost her job might be enough to make anyone a bit nutty. Ad that crazy bitch Nancy Grace to the mix and who knows what could happen.

--Sinclair Lewis

I'm glad that Nancy Grace refuses to take responsibility for the suicide, because she's NOT responsible. While it's unfortunate that this happened, anyone who commits suicide has bigger problems than someone hurting their feelings or making them feel uncomfortable, and I have no tolerance for people who try to blame someone else for the suicide of their loved one. Especially when, as in Melinda's case, that individual is mentally unstable and has attempted suicide in the past. What attempts were made (by Melinda or by her relatives who are holding Grace responsible) to get Melinda the psychiatric help that she clearly needed? I'm not really a Nancy Grace fan, but I am appalled that anyone would accuse her of causing this suicide. Melinda was mentally unstable, was probably very aware that she was a suspect in her son's disappearance, was exhibiting extremely suspicious behavior, was uncooperative with police, and finally, had attempted suicide in the past. Blaming a TV journalist for her suicide, which in my opinion was pretty predictable, is absurd.
    Last edited by southernbelle; September 16th, 2006 at 02:37 PM.

I'm not accusing her of being directly responsible but certainly she bears some moral responsibility. The producers as well as Nancy Grace, when vetting the woman, should have realized that she was stable enough to go through the hell that constitutes a Nancy Grace grilling. That's their job. As far as the family not getting her help, who knows what resources they have or ability to deal with this sort of thing. I guess I just really dislike Nancy Grace and her ham-fisted tactics and find her style of so-called 'journalism' to be abhorrent. She's mean spirited and represents an attitude of blame and finger pointing that seems more and more prevalent and it makes me kind of sick. The woman has not been proven guilty of anything other than being a bit weak and maybe a bit stupid. If those were crimes, we know at least half the country would be behind bars. Time will tell what really happened. And it may end up it was the mother. Or not.

--Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMarsters View Post
    ^^ I agree..Nancy can be A HUGE bitch at times...but this woman was guilty of something..who kills themsevles when they are unsure of their child being alive/dead? She keeps changing her story, wouldn't take a polygraph, then claimed her OWN FRIENDS did not know she had a child..please this woman probably just wanted to get rid of the child as sad as it is.
    Um, hello? Mentally disturbed people?? And, apparently, Melinda Duckett was mentally disturbed. Therefore, her suicide is not proof of guilt. And Nancy Grace is a heartless douche for saying otherwise. God forbid she has another tragedy in her life because I sure as shit wouldn't care. I'd probably even chuckle and say "It serves her right. Heartless douche."

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    That's the thing. If she was mentally unstable the producers of Nancy Grace's show should surely have known about that since they supposedly check everyone's background and generally vet them for broadcast.
    Exdamnactly.

Melinda came across as uncaring, refused to answer questions and even offered
    a scenario how her son could have been abducted.

Nancy was not the only one suspicious of Melinda. Melinda had a problem with
    local media, local police and the state police. When Nancy asked the guest
    from the FBI if he was able to get any answers, he said all they got was basically
    the same type of answers from her. Even her grandfather said he asked Melinda

"Raise your other hand and tell me, in the name of God, did you do anything to Trenton, or do you know where he is?
    Source: http://www.ocala.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...65/1001/NEWS01
    The real victim in this case is Trenton.
    Scariest Halloween mask ever > > >

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information