Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: 8-Year-Old Girl, Mother and Family Member All Found Dead In NJ Pool News

Default 8-Year-Old Girl, Mother and Family Member All Found Dead In NJ Pool News

WTH???

A neighbor called 9-1-1 after they heard screaming.

UPDATE 6/24/20 6:15AM

The deaths of Bharat Patel, 62, his 33-year old daughter-in-law Nisha Patel and her 8-year-old daughter were determined accidental. The cause of death for all three was drowning, according to The Middlesex County Regional Medical Examiner’s Office.
    ORIGINAL STORY BELOW

Three people, including an 8-year-old girl, were found dead in their backyard, in an above-ground swimming pool on Monday in East Brunswick, New Jersey.
    "At approximately 4:18 pm East Brunswick Police responded to the residence located at 43 Clearview Road," police confirmed in a press release.
    "Three members of the same family who reside at the residence where found unresponsive in the pool; they were pronounced dead shortly after being found."

According to NBC New York, the other two victims were the girl's 32-year-old mother and a 62-year-old male.
    "The cause of death is to be determined by the Middlesex County Regional Medical Examiner’s Office," said the police department, which called the investigation both "active" and "continuing."
    Police reportedly responded to the scene after a neighbor who heard screaming -- believed to be the mother calling for help -- called 911.

https://toofab.com/2020/06/23/mother...ad-in-nj-pool/

fgg

i saw something yesterday where someone thought it was electrical current or something that got each of them as they entered the pool.
    OrangeSlice and I'mNotBitter like this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

When I read the title that was one of my main assumptions. It almost had to be something like that to take down adults in an above ground pool.
    Brookie likes this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Jfc, what a tragedy.
    "Please, I can't breathe."

We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.

Geez. So they really just didn't know how to swim. I can't believe it. Just mindblowing. And in water that was only 3.5-7 ft deep.

Police reveal how girl, mother and grandfather died in backyard pool

cbsnews.com/news/swimming-pool-deaths-investigation-east-brunswick-new-jersey
    A mother and grandfather who drowned in their backyard pool in New Jersey a week ago were trying to rescue an 8-year-old girl who had fallen in, police said. Bharat Patel, 62, his daughter-in-law Nisha Patel, 33, and her 8-year-old daughter were found unresponsive in the above-ground pool on the afternoon of June 22 by East Brunswick police responding to a 911 call from neighbors who heard screams.
    East Brunswick Lt. Frank Sutter said the young girl had fallen into the pool, and her grandfather and mother were trying to save her when they, too, began to drown, CBS New York reported.
    Middlesex County prosecutors and police said that while the above-ground pool was mostly shallow at 3 1/2 feet deep, a portion of the pool was 7 feet deep and "It doesn't appear that the victims knew how to swim."
    CBS New York's Chopper 2 showed images of an above-ground swimming pool in the backyard where the three people were found dead. CBS New YorkReal estate listings show that the pool was already installed when the Patel family purchased the home in April, NJ.com reported. Neighbors told CBS New York the family had just moved into the home about a month ago.
    sprynkles likes this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

So again, wth? It makes no sense. If no one can swim, drain the damn pool.
    Mivvi21 and I'mNotBitter like this.

This is such a weird and tragic story. If no one knew how to swim, why did they have a pool in the first place? maybe it wasn't their house and they were just staying there, and the kid probably wasn't supposed to go near the pool but did anyway because that's what kids do. That's the only explanation I can think of that would make any sense.
    Waterslide likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

The article says the family just moved in about a month before.
    sputnik and Waterslide like this.

I feel as if every year, I hear about some event where people are partying with young kids next to a body of water and most of the adults can't swim. And a child gets in trouble, and multiple adults (who can't swim either) jump in and drown, too.

God, that's awful. The first thing I would have done is put a cover over the top. I can't imagine the panicking that happened.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I don't understand how this happens, do people not know how to float even if they don't know how to swim?

I wouldn't say I know how to swim properly, but I can doggy paddle to safety in a pool. Open water like ocean/rivers are out of the question if I can't touch the bottom, I could maaaybe tread water for a few seconds. I certainly couldn't jump in and save anyone.

So if I didn't have kids I would buy a house with a pool, sure. However, not with a kid who can't swim. Even if they can swim, the thought makes me super nervous.
    I'mNotBitter likes this.

Elite Member

The pool is why we almost didn't buy our house. The deep part of the pool is 9'.
    I can't swim, but since we're here in FL, we made sure all the children can. When they were with me alone, I made them wear life jackets and stay in the shallow end.
    I know it was overkill but I was afraid that one of them could drown. I would be the parent jumping in and drowning too.
    czb likes this.

May I ask why you haven't taken swimming lessons? It's a good family project. The YMCA is a great way to learn.
    sputnik likes this.

yeah, i really recommend it too. obviously maybe not right now with the pandemic and everything but further down the line. not just because it's a really useful life skill but because there's something incredible about being able to move freely in water, without fear. you don't have to be sporty/athletic at all. there's nothing quite like it.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Swimming is a life skill. And yes, it feels amazing and I can't think of anything that helped my fibromyalgia/chronic pain more. When I was a kid, I was a great swimmer, but now it's a lot more tiring for me. I was hoping to get back into it in March, but...anyway, even treading water and stretching is helpful and relaxing.

I was surprised to learn my Mom only learned to swim when she moved away from home. I guess they didn't really have swim lessons where she was and it was mostly ponds and lakes that she would have had to swim in. I assumed everyone growing up closer to nature would know how to swim sooner.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information