• 4 Post By sputnik
  • 6 Post By twitchy2.0
  • 2 Post By greysfang
  • 2 Post By mostroop
  • 1 Post By Novice
  • 1 Post By Kittylady
  • 1 Post By Novice
  • 3 Post By ConstanceSpry

Thread: More than 13,000 people in the UK have been born out of 'extreme inbreeding'

Default More than 13,000 people in the UK have been born out of 'extreme inbreeding'

More than 13,000 people in the UK have been born out of 'extreme inbreeding' and the illegal incestuous trysts of close relatives, study claims (and I bet they all voted for Brexit!!!)

By Joe Pinkstone For Mailonline16:00, 03 Sep 2019, updated 17:19, 03 Sep 2019

Scientists believe that more than 13,000 people in the UK have DNA which indicates they are the result of 'extreme inbreeding'.
    Analysis of the UK Biobank data-bank by researchers at the University of Queensland uncovered evidence of people with whose parents are considered to be first- or second-degree relatives.
    This includes children created when parents and their offspring (first degree) have a child.
    It also assessed children born from the intercourse of half-siblings (second degree).
    The researchers say scaling up the research is difficult due to the limitations of the data-set, but claim the real number may be even higher than the extrapolated 13,200 figure from the paper.
    People born out of such extreme inbreeding often suffer myriad health concerns, the researchers confirm.
    This includes reduced lung function, fertility, cognitive function and a 44 per cent higher risk of all diseases.
    Scroll down for video

+4

Analysis of the UK Biobank data-bank by researchers at the University of Queensland found uncovered evidence of people with parents who are considered first- or second-degree relatives (stock)

WHAT IS EXTREME INBREEDNG?

According to the guidelines from the American College of Medical Genetics, extreme inbreeding can be suspected if over 10 per cent of the DNA sequence in an individual has runs of homozygosity.
    Homozygosity is the term given to stretches of the genetic code that are identical, and therefore must have been inherited from both the mother, and the father.
    If this is significantly higher than normal, it can indicate a person's parents are closely related.
    Extreme inbreeding (EI) is often defined as genome-wide homozygosity consistent with mating between first or second degree relatives.
    This includes children created when parents and their offspring (first degree) have a child.
    It also considers that of children born from the intercourse of half-siblings (second degree).
    In many countries, mating between close relatives is forbidden by law.
    For example, mating between first- or second-degree relatives is explicitly prohibited by the Sexual Offences Act (2003) in the UK.
    Nevertheless, law enforcement records in the UK and other countries show that EI does occur.
    These few cases are likely under-reported because of the social stigma attached to them, experts say.

The analysis into inbreeding and its potential effects on health are published in the journal Nature Communications.

Dr Loic Yengo led the research and estimated the prevalence of extreme inbreeding using anonymous data from 456,414 individuals in the UK Biobank.
    It looked for an unusually high amount of homozygosity, the term given to stretches of the genetic code that are identical and therefore must have been inherited from both the mother, and the father.
    If this is significantly higher than normal, it can indicate a person's parents are closely related.
    'These runs of homozygosity are identical sections of DNA and can be used by geneticists to study the association between the proportion of a person's genome that is homozygous and measurements on that individual.
    'This is the first time that ten per cent or more homozygosity in the genome has been quantified in a sample of nearly half a million people,' said Dr Yengo.
    The authors chose the threshold of ten per cent because, according to the guidelines from the American College of Medical Genetics, extreme inbreeding can be suspected if over ten per cent of the DNA sequence in an individual has runs of homozygosity.
    They then looked at whether this was associated with a number of health outcomes.
    Among the participants included in the study, the authors found 125 individuals whose genetic data suggested that they were offspring of first- or second-degree relatives.

+4

Researchers looked for an unusually high amount of homozygosity — the term given to stretches of the genetic code that are identical, and therefore must have been inherited from both the mother, and the father (stock)

However, the researchers warn that this percentage of approximately 0.02 per cent may not be comparable to the entire population, and could well be higher.
    The researchers were unavailable for interview, but said in a statement: 'The extent to which our estimate reflects the true prevalence of [extreme inbreeding] in the entire UK population is a difficult question.
    'The UK Biobank is known to have over-representation from healthy and highly educated individuals which likely biases our estimates.
    'Highly inbred individuals who suffer severe health consequences may be less likely to participate in a study such as the UK Biobank.
    'Therefore, our estimate of the prevalence might be too low.'
    It also found that these people have rather a bleak health outlook, and the study confirms previous research on the impact of incest.
    The authors write: 'We confirmed previous findings suggesting that inbreeding leads to reduced stature, cognitive ability, lung function and fertility.
    'Moreover, we found that these 125 participants were approximately 44 per cent more at risk of any kind of disease, as compared to the rest of the study participants.
    'We also found that the effect of EI on these traits can be predicted using observations from less extreme forms of inbreeding (e.g. between first-cousins).'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...nbreeding.html

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-019-11724-6

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

*cough* Yorkshire *cough*

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post

Well...you're not wrong really lol
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-23183102
    Kittylady likes this.

i was traveling all through nova scotia a few summers ago, including all around cape breton, and we were spending the night in meat cove and the guy who was opening up our cabin dropped by to give us the key on his tractor/lawnmower, and he looked like he was straight out of deliverance or that x-files episode with the inbred hillbilly family. and he spoke some kind of weird hillbilly maritime dialect because we couldn't understand a single word. anyway, after that encounter, we were like, he has to be inbred, right? and googled, and sure enough, meat cove, which is the most remote part of cape breton (which is already pretty fucking remote) had an issue with inbreeding and the government actually had to get involved at one point.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

It's the West Virginia of Canada.
    Scientists believe that more than 13,000 people in the UK have DNA which indicates they are the result of 'extreme inbreeding'.
    The royal family is bigger than I thought.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Resemblance to Austin Powers is a reliable indicator of ancestral inbreeding.

So Yorkshire is the UK's West Virginia?
    lindsaywhit and Kittylady like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Elite Member

I'm sure 85% is in the royal family
    Daphodil and twitchy2.0 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    So Yorkshire is the UK's West Virginia?
    More like Appalachia
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

If it makes it legal for me that have a fuck off pick up with a gun rack so that I can take (legal) shots at my inbred neighbours I’m fine with what-ever-the-fuck-you-want-to-call-it - other than Lancashire, of course.
    Kittylady likes this.

I love you really, Nov x

(Even if you are a flat capped whippet bothering heathen )
    Novice likes this.

I love you really, Nov x

(Even if you are a flat capped whippet bothering heathen )
    That’ll be the Lancastrian side then

Yup my pa is a Lancie lol!
    Kittylady likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    Well...you're not wrong really lol
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-23183102
    Showed this to hub cause his great-great grandparents on his mother's side came from Langstrothdale. He is not amused.
    Sarzy, Kittylady and lindsaywhit like this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Thread Information