Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Insanely Scary Dorian

Default Insanely Scary Dorian

Sorry if there is already a thread about Dorian, but I couldn't find it. I'm anxious for our GR peeps in Dorian's path. Shellee? Others in the path? You okay? Please check in with us when you can - obviously you have more important issues to deal with, but we need you all to be safe.

The videos are heartbreaking.
    C_is_for_Cookie and holly like this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Yeah, we're a little more relaxed in Miami with the predicted path but with the size of that monster, even the outer bands will be brutal. Cat 5, I keep hearing 180+ mph sustained winds? That's insanely destructive and I worry we are too relaxed just because the center (probably) won't hit us. It can turn at any moment and hit us anyway. The rest of the state...I'm not religious but praying can't hurt.

I remember the year before I got married was a crazy intense hurricane season. There was one that covered the entire state, it was so big. There's such a big, silent feeling of foreboding among everyone; that we are well and truly fucked. After a certain point, there's nothing to do but watch and hope.
    tulip, kasippu, Waterslide and 3 others like this.

Check in with us now and again- just to let us know you’re okay, yeah? I’ll be praying for you all.
    Beeyotch and Brookie like this.

I think I remember you not living in Fl. I liked that better. Stay safe.
    Beeyotch likes this.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

All good here. Thanks so much.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Shellee, my FIL had a great idea, that we (well, any Floridians fleeing hurricane) should all head to the keys for this one! We lol'd, bar-crawling during a hurricane always appeals to me! Good thing most people won't think of that, the keys couldn't take it/wouldn't want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Shellee, my FIL had a great idea, that we (well, any Floridians fleeing hurricane) should all head to the keys for this one! We lol'd, bar-crawling during a hurricane always appeals to me! Good thing most people won't think of that, the keys couldn't take it/wouldn't want it.
    I’ve been saying that all along! For a Labor Day weekend, the lack of traffic is wonderful. So for Irma I was on vacation and was going out of town. I ended up spending my vacation in my office the animals and family. This year, I am on vacation starting Tuesday through the 16th. The courts are closed Tuesday for Dorian so I lose another free day that everyone gets but I’m on vacation. Wtf? If anyone wants a hurricane, let me know and I’ll put in for vacation.

My family and friends in Miami are not worried, so I'm trying not to. A friend of mine who is a travel nurse working in the US Virgin Islands right now said it came through when it was a Category 1 and that was crazy enough for her. So I can't imagine now!

For Irma 2 years ago I had a house full of 7 extra people. My brother, my sister-in-law (6 mos pregnant with #4), 3 kids between 2-5 and SIL's non-english-speaking parents. Luckily it didn't do permanent damage. We've (SIL and I have) been watching this one but apparently nothing to worry about. So she tells me. I ask her when I want the real truth because my brother and father are two of those jackasses who would try to ride anything out like they're giving out 'badass' awards or something.

SIL, OTOH, is way more practical. And her first thought is the kids (and being without power). My brother was very pissy about it initially when she made him come 2 years ago. But in the end, she was right of course. He kept telling me he wasn't coming and my SIL kept saying "oh, he's coming. Don't worry".
    tulip and lindsaywhit like this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Elite Member

I can't believe it is just sitting there bashing the Bahamas. It is one crazy hurricane. I don't know how one area could withstand such a prolonged assault. Those winds -- I can't even imagine.

I'm glad to hear our GR friends are safe for now.
    sprynkles, holly, Beeyotch and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    I’ve been saying that all along! For a Labor Day weekend, the lack of traffic is wonderful. So for Irma I was on vacation and was going out of town. I ended up spending my vacation in my office the animals and family. This year, I am on vacation starting Tuesday through the 16th. The courts are closed Tuesday for Dorian so I lose another free day that everyone gets but I’m on vacation. Wtf? If anyone wants a hurricane, let me know and I’ll put in for vacation.
    Sounds like something that would happen to me. Can't they retroactively give you back your PTO somehow?
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

^^No, cause they suck.

That does suck, Shellee, ugh.

I only saw one video of the Bahamas, a resident saying there's 5 feet of water on their first floor, and they were hiding out on the second floor.
    I'm afraid to check for more images of the damage.

Here, the worst we had were some 20-30 mph gusts and rain. We've had worse thunderstorms that had heavier rains and wind. We got lucky this time.
    sprynkles and Brookie like this.

Most of Grand Bahama is under water right now. Abaco from the air: https://twitter.com/TravisCC/status/1168935463526309892

DEVASTATING STATS IN BAHAMAS:-13,000+ houses damaged or destroyed-45% of all dwellings on Abaco and Grand Bahama-62,000 people on the Abaco Islands and Grand Bahama do not have fresh watervia @RedCross
    #Dorian

https://twitter.com/NBChristinaGinn/status/1168952005173424130?s=20
    Brookie likes this.

I saw those images earlier today. So sad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information