Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: RFK Granddaughter Overdoses at Family Compound

Default RFK Granddaughter Overdoses at Family Compound

More Kennedy tragedy. Robert F. Kennedy Granddaughter Dies at Hyannis Port Compound
    From the NYT and it won't allow me to copy/paste. UGH.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

fgg

i read something this morning that said she suffered from depression.
    Brookie likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

oh, she's the daughter of one of the guildford four (of 'in the name of the father' fame)
    how sad
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

BOSTON — A granddaughter of Robert F. Kennedy died on Thursday afternoon after suffering an apparent overdose at the Kennedy compound in Hyannis Port, Mass., according to two people close to the family.
    The young woman, Saoirse Kennedy Hill, 22, was the daughter of Courtney Kennedy Hill. She was at the compound, where her grandmother, Ethel Kennedy, lives, when emergency responders were called on Thursday afternoon, the family friends said. She was taken to Cape Cod Hospital in Hyannis, where she was pronounced dead.

“Our hearts are shattered by the loss of our beloved Saoirse,” the Kennedy family said in a statement. “Her life was filled with hope, promise and love.”
    The statement quoted Ethel Kennedy, 91, Robert F. Kennedy’s widow, as saying, “The world is a little less beautiful today.”

The authorities issued a statement confirming a death at the property but did not disclose the identity of the victim or the cause of death. “Early this afternoon Barnstable police responded to a residence on Marchant Avenue in Hyannis Port for a report of an unattended death,” said Tara Miltimore of the Cape and Islands District Attorney’s Office. “The matter remains under investigation by the Barnstable police as well as state police detectives assigned to the Cape and Islands District Attorney’s Office.”

Before enrolling in Boston College, where she was a communication major and vice president of the College Democrats, Ms. Kennedy Hill wrote about her struggles with depression and mental illness for the student newspaper at Deerfield Academy, a private preparatory school in Massachusetts, in 2016. Her depression, she wrote, “took root in the beginning of my middle school years and will be with me for the rest of my life.” She described “deep bouts of sadness that felt like a heavy boulder on my chest.”

Marcus Breen, a professor of communication at Boston College, said Ms. Kennedy Hill was an engaging student in a class he taught on social media and social justice.

“In classes she was often the first student to offer an opinion on readings that demanded clear critique about the challenges of contemporary society,” he said in an email.
    Professor Breen recalled that Ms. Kennedy Hill once sought him out after a class conversation on feminism and rape culture, asking him whether the issues were appropriate for the classroom given that some students may have been survivors of sexual assault.

“It was an expression of her concern for others,” Professor Breen said. “She will be missed on campus and in class.”

On Instagram, Kerry Kennedy, Ms. Kennedy Hill’s aunt and president of the Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights organization, remembered her niece as a woman who was “passionately moved by the causes of human rights and women’s empowerment and found great joy in volunteer work.”

Ms. Kennedy Hill spent part of her childhood in Ireland, and often said she was proud of her Irish heritage and her Gaelic given name, which means freedom. Her father, Paul Michael Hill, is one of the Guildford Four, who were falsely accused of involvement in Irish Republican Army bombings; he was imprisoned for 15 years before his conviction was overturned. He and Ms. Kennedy Hill’s mother married shortly after his release in 1993, and separated in 2006.

Ms. Kennedy Hill marched in Cape Cod with her mother in March 2018 as part of a nationwide protest against gun violence, according to The Barnstable Patriot.

The Kennedy compound on Cape Cod is the storied summer residence of one of America’s most enduring political dynasties. It consists of three white clapboard houses on six acres of waterfront property along Nantucket Sound and was originally the home of Joseph P. Kennedy, the patriarch of the Kennedy clan.
    The compound was a base of operations for the presidential campaign of his son John F. Kennedy in 1960, and later served as a summer White House. Senator Edward M. Kennedy kept the home as his primary Massachusetts residence for several decades until his death in 2009.

In 2012, the Kennedy family donated the main house to the Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate.

The death adds to a litany of tragedies that have befallen the Kennedys and taken on the grim aura of a family curse. President Kennedy and Senator Robert F. Kennedy were both slain by assassins. Their brother Joseph P. Kennedy Jr. was killed in World War II, and their sister Kathleen Cavendish died in a plane crash in 1948. The president’s son, John F. Kennedy Jr., was killed in 1999 when the airplane he was flying crashed into the Atlantic Ocean off Martha’s Vineyard; his wife and sister-in-law were on board and were also killed.

Several other Kennedys have died young or in accidents, including Ms. Kennedy Hill’s uncle David Anthony Kennedy, who struggled with alcohol and drug addiction and was found dead in 1984 in a hotel in Palm Beach, Fla. Thirty years later, when Ms. Kennedy Hill was 16, she wrote in a message to her uncle that she posted online: “You were a kind, gentle spirit that went through unimaginable struggles in your life. It saddens me to know that we will never meet in this world, but I know I will see you up in heaven with my grandfather, Uncle Michael, and other family members.”

Last month marked the 50th anniversary of Chappaquiddick, another Kennedy family tragedy that took place when Edward Kennedy drove off a bridge on a small island next to Martha’s Vineyard. The accident killed Mary Jo Kopechne, the 28-year-old passenger in Mr. Kennedy’s car.
    Brookie likes this.

Crazy the amount of tragedies in that family!

The Kennedy Curse

This girl’s mother is Courtney Kennedy Hill. I don’t know Courtney’s birth order amidst the 11 kids Bobby and Ethel had.

So sad. I feel sorry for this family, really.

They make me think of that Bible verse: “The sins of the father are visited upon the children, even unto the third and fourth generations.”

And from all I’ve read, old Joe Kennedy was a crooked SOB

No family deserves what the Kennedys have endured.
    C_is_for_Cookie and Jadestone like this.

- Mark Twain

A*O

With such a huge and famous family I guess these sad events might seem more frequent but nevertheless the Kennedy’s do seem to have had more than their fair share of tragedy.
    maryk likes this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    This girl’s mother is Courtney Kennedy Hill. I don’t know Courtney’s birth order amidst the 11 kids Bobby and Ethel had.
    Wiki says she was the fifth child.

Anybody here ever read "The Other Mrs. Kennedy"? Gives you a whole different look inside RFK's and Ethel's marriage/kids. Excellent, delicious little book of truths and probable lies but oh lord, it's a gossip extravaganza. Not by Kitty Kelley, either.
    On topic, what I read earlier said they never mentioned what she died from, but it could be any of the above mentioned means of death.
    Brookie likes this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sylkyn View Post
    Anybody here ever read "The Other Mrs. Kennedy"? Gives you a whole different look inside RFK's and Ethel's marriage/kids. Excellent, delicious little book of truths and probable lies but oh lord, it's a gossip extravaganza. Not by Kitty Kelley, either.
    On topic, what I read earlier said they never mentioned what she died from, but it could be any of the above mentioned means of death.
    I can't remember if I read that one but in Ethel, Jackie, Joan or whatever order the title is, I remember it referenced Ethel having a super rambunctious loud large family as a kid and her having one, then throw in the tragedies culminating in being widowed left with ELEVEN kids to care for and that's all in her first 40ish years.

Quote Originally Posted by maryk View Post
    I can't remember if I read that one but in Ethel, Jackie, Joan or whatever order the title is, I remember it referenced Ethel having a super rambunctious loud large family as a kid and her having one, then throw in the tragedies culminating in being widowed left with ELEVEN kids to care for and that's all in her first 40ish years.
    No, this one was all about Ethel and Robert. Nothing really about all the tragedies, per se. Just all the SHIT that went down during their "courtship" (her determination to marry into that family) and then later having a million kids to prove what a great Catholic she was. The kids they had were horrible and while they lived in relative "wealth", they lived in actual squalor. Because nobody could be bothered to clean up a damn thing, or take care of any of their animals. Read the book.
    Brookie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylkyn View Post
    No, this one was all about Ethel and Robert. Nothing really about all the tragedies, per se. Just all the SHIT that went down during their "courtship" (her determination to marry into that family) and then later having a million kids to prove what a great Catholic she was. The kids they had were horrible and while they lived in relative "wealth", they lived in actual squalor. Because nobody could be bothered to clean up a damn thing, or take care of any of their animals. Read the book.
    I’m totally going to read it now. Thanks for the reference!

And wasn’t it Ethel’s cousin or brother or nephew...Michael Skakel that killed Martha Moxley?
    Brookie and SHELLEE like this.

Yep - Ethel is Skakel's aunt.
    SHELLEE likes this.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post

They make me think of that Bible verse: “The sins of the father are visited upon the children, even unto the third and fourth generations.”

And from all I’ve read, old Joe Kennedy was a crooked SOB
    Joe Kennedy was a racist SOB. Rose Kennedy was shallow, vain and materialistic. She didn't pay much attention to her kids either. My sympathies to the young woman, but something is wrong in this family.
    Last edited by BITTER; August 3rd, 2019 at 09:01 PM.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information