• 6 Post By OrangeSlice
  • 2 Post By Novice
  • 2 Post By BITTER
  • 5 Post By SHELLEE
  • 2 Post By sprynkles
  • 1 Post By Mivvi21

Thread: PETA gone Mad: Chicken Dinner Road runs 'afowl' of PETA

Thumbs down PETA gone Mad: Chicken Dinner Road runs 'afowl' of PETA

This is from my neck of the woods but it's made national news. And it's real. These people are crazy.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals has sent a letter to Caldwell, Idaho, Mayor Garret Nancolas requesting him to rename Chicken Dinner Road to the more vegan-palatable Chicken Road.

It’s a “kinder alternative, one that celebrates chickens as the sensitive and intelligent individuals they are, not ones to be abused and killed for dinner,” Faith Robinson, PETA senior strategist, told Capital Press.

The organization hoped to encourage the mayor to celebrate chickens and encourage citizens to help chickens “simply by leaving them off their plates,” she said.

Chickens feel pain and empathy and form strong bonds with one another, and they shouldn’t be considered “dinner,” PETA said in its letter to the mayor.

In addition to a graphic depiction of how chickens are raised and slaughtered, the letter also employed chicken puns to appeal to the mayor.

“We’re not trying to ruffle any feathers, but words matter and have power to change lives, both human and nonhuman, PETA wrote.

The letter also encouraged the mayor and residents to “cry fowl” over the sign and “hatch a plan” to change the name.

“We’re just trying to bring light to the issue. Chickens are fun and intelligent — they can count, add and subtract,” Robinson said.

With 9 billion chickens killed each year to eat in the U.S., it’s a serious issue, she said.

“No road should be named in honor of an act against another being,” she said.

Changing the name is a way “to honor these smart and self-aware animals,” she said.

The mayor did not return phone calls from Capital Press, but he told the Idaho Press the request was “ridiculous” and a waste of his time, adding that the county road isn’t even

in the city’s jurisdiction.

Gregg Alger, owner of Huston Vineyards, which is on Chicken Dinner Road, said the request is “amazing to me,” given it’s a little road in the middle of farm country.

His first reaction was “Wow, there’re people that got a lot of time on their hands,” he said.

His winery uses the Chicken Dinner name on one of its lines of wine, tying the label to local history. The label tells the story of how the road got its name, he said.

According to local history reported by the Idaho Press-Tribune in the early 1980s, Morris and Laura Lamb lived on the road, then called Lane 12 in the 1930s. They were friends

with Gov. C. Ben Ross and his wife, and Laura invited the Rosses to the Lamb home for a fried chicken dinner. She brought the poor condition of the road to the governor’s

attention, and he promised to have it oiled if the county repaired it.

After it was repaired and oiled, vandals painted “Lamb’s Chicken Dinner Avenue” on the road, and the name stuck.

Alger’s vineyard is across the road from the old Lamb farmhouse. The road’s name is a reflection of history and what transpired rather than food, Alger said.

PETA has made similar requests to other towns, including: Slaughter Beach, Del.; the Tenderloin District of San Francisco; Slaughterville, Okla.; and Fishkill, N.Y.

Such names evoke violent imagery of how animals are killed and "abused," PETA’s Robinson said.

While none of PETA's requests have resulted in name changes, they have garnered support from local residents, she said.

“We’re really hoping people can understand the words we choose matter. … They influence how human and nonhumans are regarded and treated,” she said.

https://www.capitalpress.com/ag_sect...221a7edba.html

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

1. I hate PETA.
    2. The name of this road is funny and I like its back story.
    3. "Fishkill" does not equal killing fish.
    4. I had huli huli chicken for dinner.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

^ I concur. PETA can shove it up their arses.
    BITTER, joebob, Novice and 4 others like this.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

There's a place called Cockledicks Lane. Why aren't they protesting the sexual exploitation of innocent mollusks?
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Can we at least still say "Winner, winner chicken dinner"???

Well then they should be pissed off at Peter Griffen always fighting a chicken.

See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

To be fair, the coupon was​ expired.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

It’s a “kinder alternative, one that celebrates chickens as the sensitive and intelligent individuals they are, not ones to be abused and killed for dinner,” Faith Robinson, PETA senior strategist, told Capital Press.”
    sensitive? Intelligent?
    Have they ever seen chickens pick on one chicken and murder it? Actually “henpeck” it to death???

fucking idiots
    Mivvi21 and Kittylady like this.

PETA members can be like terrorists sometimes.
    joebob and Mivvi21 like this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

I think they're more harmful to the cause just because they are such assholes.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Haha. Old timers having some fun.
    Novice and Waterslide like this.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Yeah, chickens are not "intelligent" or "sensitive" at all. They are dumber than shit, as anyone who has actually been around them can tell you. These PETA loons do nothing to help their cause whatsoever.
    Novice likes this.

Thread Information