• 4 Post By Trixie
  • 2 Post By Brookie
  • 1 Post By McJag

Thread: Bad news for Michael Jackson: skin bleaching creams to be limited

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Bad news for Michael Jackson: skin bleaching creams to be limited

(CBS/AP)

"It's important therapy and it's used by millions and millions of people."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dermatologist Susan Taylor

(WebMD) The FDA is seeking to ban over-the-counter sales of skin bleaching drug products.

The FDA cites the possible risk of cancer and skin discoloration from hydroquinone typically found in these products. However, those cancer studies were done on rats, not people.

"The actual risk to humans from use of hydroquinone has yet to be fully determined," the FDA states in its proposal, published in the U.S. government's Federal Register.

The type of skin discoloration noted by the FDA is called exogenous ochronosis, a darkening of the skin. The FDA cites research linking the condition to hydroquinone use.

The FDA isn't proposing a ban on prescription skin bleaching drug products. But all such products would need to submit a new drug application for the FDA's review.

Not all skin lighteners contain hydroquinone. The FDA knows of 200 products containing hydroquinone in strengths from 0.4 percent to 5 percent, about two-thirds of which "appear to be marketed as OTC [over-the-counter] drugs," says the FDA. The FDA is taking comments on its proposal until Dec. 27.

Expert's Views

WebMD spoke with dermatologist Susan Taylor, M.D., of Society Hill Dermatology in Philadelphia, and the Skin of Color Center in New York about the FDA's proposal.

"I feel that hydroquinones are safe and effective treatment for pigmentary disorders," Taylor says. "I feel comfortable recommending that my patients continue to use hydroquinones if they have a pigmentary disorder."

"I think the evidence is quite weak with the link between hydroquinones and cancer," Taylor tells WebMD. "Data on rats and mice cannot necessarily be extrapolated to human data.

"In Africa, people have used hyrdoquinones for long periods of time ... meaning years, 10, 20, 30, years ... and at high concentrations," Taylor says. "We've not seen a proliferation of various types of cancers reported from that population.

Exogenous ochronosis is rare in the U.S., Taylor notes.

"If you look at the case reports, it's probably less than 200," Taylor says. "So it's really not a significant problem here in the United States."

Taylor points out that "many patients have disorders that are truly disfiguring and devastating. And these conditions can be improved significantly with hydroquinone products."

"It's important therapy and it's used by millions and millions of people," Taylor says.

She says hydroquinone products are primarily used to lighten dark areas of the skin due to conditions including injury, rashes, acne, and sun damage.

"So there are real problems, and this is a real solution," Taylor says. She adds that filing new drug applications can cost millions of dollars. "My concern is that we could lose prescription products that we have," she says. "That would have major consequences, I think.

"It's safe, effective; it's the gold standard, and I think our patients would benefit from continued use for these problems. I think those three points sum it up for me," Taylor says.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1953656.shtml

I don't really have anything to say about this. I just wanted to write the thread title.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Interestingly, hydroquinone happens to be a potent antioxidant and there is even research showing that workers who handle pure hydroquinone actually have lower incidences of cancer than the population as a whole (Sources: Free Radical Research, April 2010, pages 473-478; Journal of Natural Products, November 2002, pages 1,6051,611; and Critical Reviews in Toxicology, May 1999, pages 283330).
    http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/brown-spots/_/hydroquinone-for-skin-lightening

No one is sure of anything as of yet. All I can find are random disjointed studies that connect to nowhere and lead to nowhere...

Even worse news for Michael Jackson: you're dead, dude.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

The hell?

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

I kinda thought you might be a kook.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I miss 2006. It was a good year....and I was only 36 then.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Even worse news for Michael Jackson: you're dead, dude.
    what??? he is?
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Was this covered on TV anywhere? I know the Olympics have been on and it might have been pre-empted.
    msdeb and Laurent like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Dead? Healthy guy like that? I figured he'd bury us all.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

A*O

Well, I suppose if you're going to necro a long-dead thread from 2006 AKA 8 YEARS ago, then picking one about Michael Jackson (also dead) is probably appropriate.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I miss Butt. This makes me sad.
    Kittylady likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Well, I suppose if you're going to necro a long-dead thread from 2006 AKA 8 YEARS ago, then picking one about Michael Jackson (also dead) is probably appropriate.
    Oh this page always came up on the first page of google...sooo....I thought it was ok since it is still very popular.

Elite Member

It's ok, it made me laugh. I never look at the dates on threads.

Boogs - you probably should start looking at thread dates, especially if they spell doom for a dead guy.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Thread Information