• 5 Post By Neptunia
  • 5 Post By Neptunia
  • 1 Post By Janus
  • 2 Post By Beeyotch
  • 2 Post By misrule

Thread: Walnut the whippet takes final 'walk' in Cornwall

Default Walnut the whippet takes final 'walk' in Cornwall

Walnut the whippet takes final 'walk' in Cornwall

Hundreds of people joined a dog owner when he took his beloved but poorly whippet Walnut on a final walk.
    Mark Woods encouraged people on social media under #walkwithwalnut to share the last outing on a beach in Cornwall.
    Walnut the whippet, who was 18 years old, has now been put down because of his ill health.
    Mr Woods said the reaction from people around the world who had heard about Walnut on social media had been "incredible".

Writing on Facebook, Mr Woods confirmed Walnut had died.
    He said: "Walnut passed away this morning at 11.56am. The family and our three whippets, Monty, Nelson and Charlie were also in the room.
    "He went very quickly and in my arms. I am writing this post because I owe it to everyone who has supported myself, my family and most importantly Walnut.
    "Thank you to the hundreds of people that attended the walk this morning and to all those that had their own walks with their beloved pets at 9.30am all around the world.
    "I also want to thank the wonderful people of Newquay for their support which I will never forget as long as I live. God bless you all."
    Mr Woods said the pair been through an "awful lot together", including two marriages, three engagements and a move from London to Cornwall.
    He said Porth Beach, which is closed to dogs during the summer months, was Walnut's favourite beach.

A Kennel Club spokesman said whippets tended to live until they were thirteen to fourteen years old, so Walnut's age was "impressive" and "certainly unusual for the breed".
    "The walk for Walnut is a lovely idea and will no doubt give him the send off he deserves.
    "We very much hope everyone involved, particularly Walnut and Mark, have a wonderful time," he said.

Last edited by Neptunia; November 12th, 2016 at 11:35 AM. Reason: added video
    Janus, faithanne, HWBL and 2 others like this.

This made me cry, really cry, even as a vet it always gets to me to have to put an animal down. I just take comfort in knowing this dog was really loved and well looked after and his owner will have a lot of happy memories of them together.

Also, there are a lot of reasons I love British people but one of the big ones is their love of animals. No one loves a dog more than a Brit I think.
    HWBL, pwry, Brookie and 2 others like this.

Bronze Member

I love dogs so much this made me cry
    HWBL likes this.

Aw. Poor Walnut. It's nice his owner felt comforted by the support of so many others who loved Walnut.

This reminded my of putting my dog down 2 months ago. It's still fresh in my memory and makes my heart raw. I fed him eggs and bacon and took him on his final walk, crying the whole time. Fortunately we hired a euthanasia at home service where the vet came to us and he could go in familiar surroundings without the anxiety of going to the vet.

I've smothered the walls with my favorite photos of him. I still miss him and cry over him every day.
    HWBL and Wilson like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Aw. Poor Walnut. It's nice his owner felt comforted by the support of so many others who loved Walnut.

This reminded my of putting my dog down 2 months ago. It's still fresh in my memory and makes my heart raw. I fed him eggs and bacon and took him on his final walk, crying the whole time. Fortunately we hired a euthanasia at home service where the vet came to us and he could go in familiar surroundings without the anxiety of going to the vet.

I've smothered the walls with my favorite photos of him. I still miss him and cry over him every day.
    Beeyotch, this made me cry. I'm sorry for your loss. My old girl will be 10 next year, and the thought of saying goodbye breaks my heart. Love to you.
    Beeyotch and HWBL like this.

Silver Member

I am so sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post

Thread Information