Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Big Internet Cyberattack under way right now

Default Big Internet Cyberattack under way right now

I've noticed something over the past couple hours, and now it's being verified on CNN and other new sites. Map of attack area below:

CNN story link here: Popular sites like Reddit, Twitter and Netflix suffer outages - Oct. 21, 2016

I was having trouble with a lot of sites around 1 this morning, damn insomnia.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I don't know if Photobucket is targeted, but jeez it seems like it is running at 1% of its normal speed.

Someone Is Learning How to Take Down the Internet

By Bruce Schneier
    Tuesday, September 13, 2016, 10:00 AM

Over the past year or two, someone has been probing the defenses of the companies that run critical pieces of the Internet. These probes take the form of precisely calibrated attacks designed to determine exactly how well these companies can defend themselves, and what would be required to take them down. We don't know who is doing this, but it feels like a large a large nation state. China and Russia would be my first guesses.

First, a little background. If you want to take a network off the Internet, the easiest way to do it is with a distributed denial-of-service attack (DDoS). Like the name says, this is an attack designed to prevent legitimate users from getting to the site. There are subtleties, but basically it means blasting so much data at the site that it's overwhelmed. These attacks are not new: hackers do this to sites they don't like, and criminals have done it as a method of extortion. There is an entire industry, with an arsenal of technologies, devoted to DDoS defense. But largely it's a matter of bandwidth. If the attacker has a bigger fire hose of data than the defender has, the attacker wins.

Recently, some of the major companies that provide the basic infrastructure that makes the Internet work have seen an increase in DDoS attacks against them. Moreover, they have seen a certain profile of attacks. These attacks are significantly larger than the ones they're used to seeing. They last longer. They're more sophisticated. And they look like probing. One week, the attack would start at a particular level of attack and slowly ramp up before stopping. The next week, it would start at that higher point and continue. And so on, along those lines, as if the attacker were looking for the exact point of failure.

The attacks are also configured in such a way as to see what the company's total defenses are. There are many different ways to launch a DDoS attacks. The more attack vectors you employ simultaneously, the more different defenses the defender has to counter with. These companies are seeing more attacks using three or four different vectors. This means that the companies have to use everything they've got to defend themselves. They can't hold anything back. They're forced to demonstrate their defense capabilities for the attacker.

I am unable to give details, because these companies spoke with me under condition of anonymity. But this all is consistent with what Verisign is reporting. Verisign is the registrar for many popular top-level Internet domains, like .com and .net. If it goes down, there's a global blackout of all websites and e-mail addresses in the most common top-level domains. Every quarter, Verisign publishes a DDoS trends report. While its publication doesn't have the level of detail I heard from the companies I spoke with, the trends are the same: "in Q2 2016, attacks continued to become more frequent, persistent, and complex."

There's more. One company told me about a variety of probing attacks in addition to the DDoS attacks: testing the ability to manipulate Internet addresses and routes, seeing how long it takes the defenders to respond, and so on. Someone is extensively testing the core defensive capabilities of the companies that provide critical Internet services.

Who would do this? It doesn't seem like something an activist, criminal, or researcher would do. Profiling core infrastructure is common practice in espionage and intelligence gathering. It's not normal for companies to do that. Furthermore, the size and scale of these probes—and especially their persistence—points to state actors. It feels like a nation's military cybercommand trying to calibrate its weaponry in the case of cyberwar. It reminds me of the U.S.'s Cold War program of flying high-altitude planes over the Soviet Union to force their air-defense systems to turn on, to map their capabilities.

What can we do about this? Nothing, really. We don't know where the attacks come from. The data I see suggests China, an assessment shared by the people I spoke with. On the other hand, it's possible to disguise the country of origin for these sorts of attacks. The NSA, which has more surveillance in the Internet backbone than everyone else combined, probably has a better idea, but unless the U.S. decides to make an international incident over this, we won't see any attribution.
    But this is happening. And people should know.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/someone-...-down-internet

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

It's Mike Sandy!!
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

lol! I'd almost forgotten about him.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

czb

twitter is down but GR is up? makes no sense.
    palta likes this.

Speaking of DoS attacks, in 2004, when I was still in graduate school, I was going to submit a paper to an international symposium about the different methods of combating DoS attacks. The previous time I submitted to them, I got to travel to Melbourne (Oz) on the company dime. For the second paper, I would have been presenting it in some French city just north of the Riviera. But I chickened out because of the Madrid train station bombings, and because I didn't want my presentation picked apart in front of like 100 people....

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    We just not a juicy enough target.

"popular sites"

GR probably isn't one of the sites on the Dyn managed DNS infrastructure?
    Last edited by twitchy2.0; October 21st, 2016 at 03:43 PM.

-- Stephen Hawking

I can get on twitter. Plus GR has been weird for me from my phone. When I was on last night, the page numbers were weird and all run together on the long threads and when I clicked on the next page, it was showing up as a phone number to call. It still is this morning now and then. Also, on my phone and tablet, all my Chrome bookmark icons disappeared and when I clicked on the name of the site, I was often routed to one of my other bookmarks, like they were all run together and I couldn't click the exact right spot to get to the site I wanted.
    Last edited by greysfang; October 21st, 2016 at 02:33 PM.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

czb

twitter was among the sites down this AM. also NYT and amazon. some are back up.

It's been up and down all day. I'm also having trouble with Paypal

-- Stephen Hawking

I can still get on twitter.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I haven't noticed anything yet and just checked Netflix and it appears to be working OK for me. I was up til about midnight last night and everything seemed to be working.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

I'm in Stockholm, Sweden right now and my Twitter is not working.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information