Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By greysfang
  • 1 Post By CornFlakegrl

Thread: FCC fines Comcast $2.3 million for billing errors

Default FCC fines Comcast $2.3 million for billing errors

Comcast has been fined $2.3 million after the Federal Communications Commission found that it wrongfully charged cable TV customers for services and equipment they had not ordered. Comcast said it was working to fix the problems long before the FCC became involved.

The fine follows an investigation into numerous complaints from consumers who said they were charged for services they did not order and, in some cases, services they had specifically said they did not want.

“It is basic that a cable bill should include charges only for services and equipment ordered by the customer—nothing more and nothing less,” said Travis LeBlanc, Chief of the FCC's Enforcement Bureau. “We expect all cable and phone companies to take responsibility for the accuracy of their bills and to ensure their customers have authorized any charges.”

The FCC said consumers complained that Comcast added charges to their bills for unordered services or products, such as premium channels, set-top boxes, or digital video recorders (DVRs).

Comcast said it is "laser-focused" on improving customer experience and has been working to straighten out the billing issues.

“We acknowledge that, in the past, our customer service should have been better and our bills clearer, and that customers have at times been unnecessarily frustrated or confused. That’s why we had already put in place many improvements to do better for our customers even before the FCC’s Enforcement Bureau started this investigation almost two years ago," said Comcast's Sena Fitzmaurice in an email to ConsumerAffairs.

"The changes the Bureau asked us to make were in most cases changes we had already committed to make, and many were already well underway or in our work plan to implement in the near future," Fitzmaurice said.

"We do not agree with the Bureau’s legal theory here, and in our view, after two years, it is telling that it found no problematic policy or intentional wrongdoing, but just isolated errors or customer confusion," Fitzmaurice added. "We agree those issues should be fixed and are pleased to put this behind us and proceed with these customer service-enhancing changes.”

Time and energy

Consumers rate Comcast Cable Service

In some complaints, subscribers claimed that they were billed despite specifically declining service or equipment upgrades offered by Comcast. In others, customers claimed that they had no knowledge of the unauthorized charges until they received unordered equipment in the mail, obtained notifications of unrequested account changes by email, or conducted a review of their monthly bills.

Consumers also complained that they had spent significant time and energy trying to have the unauthorized charges removed and to obtain refunds.

Under the terms of today’s settlement, Comcast must create a five-year compliance plan, implementing procedures designed to obtain affirmative informed consent from customers prior to charging them for any new services or equipment.

Comcast will also send customers an order confirmation separate from any other bill, clearly and conspicuously describing newly added products and their associated charges. Further, Comcast will offer to customers, at no cost, the ability to block the addition of new services or equipment to their accounts.

The settlement also requires Comcast to implement a detailed program for redressing disputed charges in a standardized and expedient fashion, and limits adverse action (such as referring an account to collections or suspending service) while a disputed charge is being investigated.
    "I would have gladly held my nose and did the right thing all damn day long to keep Trump out of the fucking White House and it wouldn't have butt hurt me at all."...gas_chick

I hate those greedy bitches.

- proud cord cutter
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Remember when everything went from analog to digital and Comcast gave out those boxes you could use to be able to watch tv on the your tvs without the big box so you could at least get local channels? And the were suppose to be free? They charged me for years for them. Every time I would call, they would say I was right and that they would fix the bill. They never did. So it was beyond freeing when I told them to fuck off three years ago and cancelled everything. I fucking hate Comcast.

They are such a monopoly, it's ridiculous. If we want to watch our local basketball team 75% of the games only air on comcast. Same with our local soccer (MLS) team. I wish cable was like a buffet system where you could choose what channels you want to pay for. We watch maybe 20% of our channels.

That being said, we've been lucky to have had free HBO and A LOT of discounts because they royally screwed us a few years back. We were moving, filled out their form online for when/where, etc. That night, 2 weeks before move date, they cut ALL services to our house. My husband works from home and having zero internet access doesn't work for us. He was on the phone with them for 8+ hrs over 2 days to get it fixed. We couldn't believe how bungled it was, should have been super easy. So, they hooked us up.

I think that they got me. I thought I was being overcharged, but I paid the bill anyway. Now they are saying I have like, a $200 credit.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Crap! I have Xfinity. Gotta check the bills.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

They all suck. I will say mine, optimum, switched to a new bill a year or so ago and it was for once in my goddamn life, easy to read. But still the random charges, the price creep over time. Bullshit.

I quit that bitch earlier this year and don't miss one single thing. Netflix and Amazon do me fine and we bought an antennae so we could watch football on local stations. good riddance cable.
    greysfang likes this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

But I need it for Internet access.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Thread Information