Thread: Watch an e-cigarette blow up a woman's purse

Default Watch an e-cigarette blow up a woman's purse

Since their introduction, e-cigarettes have been extremely popular as a tobacco alternative, but health officials insist there remain unanswered questions about their effect on health.

Maybe they ought to be more focused on safety.

E-cigarettes are basically electronic devices. A battery provides the heat to vaporize a liquid containing nicotine. Users inhale the vapor, getting much the same nicotine they would from a cigarette.

But as we know from smartphones and other electronic devices, sometimes batteries can overheat and even explode. Earlier this month it was caught on surveillance cameras at a New Jersey mall.

A shopper, Mara McInerney of Matawan, N.J., was at the counter of a Sunglasses Hut in the Freehold Raceway Mall when her purse suddenly exploded. You can watch the dramatic footage below.

McInerney wasn't hurt, but she said the contents of her expensive purse, along with the wallet, were a total loss. This isn't the first time an e-cigarette has exploded, but it is the first time that it's been caught on tape.

As we reported in May, an Albany, N.Y., man said he was “vaping” when his e-cigarette exploded in his mouth, knocking him to the ground. Kenneth Barbaro was hospitalized with burns to his hands, knocked-out teeth, and injuries to his tongue.

That same month, the U.S. Transportation Department issued a final rule, banning e-cigarettes from checked bags aboard aircraft.

“Fire hazards in flight are particularly dangerous, and a number of recent incidents have shown that e-cigarettes in checked bags can catch fire during transport,” Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx said at the time.

The Federal Aviation Administration has since issued a similar ban on the Samsung Note 7 smartphone, which has suffered a number of high profile fires and explosions.
    "I would have gladly held my nose and did the right thing all damn day long to keep Trump out of the fucking White House and it wouldn't have butt hurt me at all."...gas_chick

Thank goodness she wasn't smoking it when it happened. With all the bombings going on, I wonder if anyone thought that's what it was.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Yeah, the guy from albany WAS smoking when his exploded and it blew some of his teeth out and burned his hands and tongue.
    "I would have gladly held my nose and did the right thing all damn day long to keep Trump out of the fucking White House and it wouldn't have butt hurt me at all."...gas_chick

Thread Information