Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Nevan
  • 1 Post By greysfang
  • 2 Post By CornFlakegrl

Thread: N.J. Ready To Put Armed, Retired Cops In Schools

czb

Default N.J. Ready To Put Armed, Retired Cops In Schools

N.J. Ready To Put Armed, Retired Cops In Schools Gov. Chris Christie is expected to sign a bill passed by state lawmakers that will put armed, retired cops in New Jersey schools.

By Tom Davis (Patch Staff) - September 16, 2016 10:32 am ET

ShareTweetGoogle PlusRedditEmailComments0

Gov. Chris Christie is expected to sign a bill passed by state lawmakers that will put armed, retired cops in New Jersey schools.
    The Senate unanimously passed a bill Thursday establishing "Class Three" special police officers designated to provide security at both public and private schools, and adopted an amendment recommended by the governor.
    The new version of the bill, S2983, says the officer must successfully complete a basic firearms course provided by an approved academy before packing a firearm.
    Christie conditionally vetoed the bill earlier this month. He said he supported the purpose of the legislation but wants the officers to complete a school resource officer training program first.
    "The safety of our children in schools is of paramount concern, especially in the wake of senseless violent attacks in the very places that our children should feel safest," he said in his veto.
    Get free real-time news alerts from the Westfield Patch.

Subscribe

Under the bill, Class Three special law enforcement officers would be retired police officers less than 65 years old. These officers would be authorized to provide security at a public or nonpublic school while they are on the school premises, or within 100 feet of the school during hours when it's in session, or when it's occupied by students or their teachers.
    "They would be authorized to exercise full powers and duties similar to those of a permanent, regularly appointed full-time police officer while providing this security," according to the legislation.
    The bill was first proposed following the 2012 attack at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut.

N.J. Ready To Put Armed, Retired Cops In Schools - Westfield, NJ Patch

depressing ....

NJ resident. There is a paid, on duty, uniformed and armed officer at my son's school every day. He only leaves if there is an emergency in town. Our town is really small and the PD is almost right across the street from the school too. He's called (and drives a police SUV) a resource officer. I don't really have a problem with this. I know a lot of cops and they retire ridiculously young. An old boyfriend is about 47 and ready to retire. Don't know if that's just Jersey.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

We've had an armed officer in every school since Columbine.
    Last edited by greysfang; September 16th, 2016 at 12:16 PM.
    louiswinthorpe111 likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

czb

i was just surprised, we don't have them here.

We have a resource officer. Not sure if he's armed or not. This this at the high schools. Elementaries don't have one.

Who's paying for these additional officers? School districts? Is there additional state dollars being allocated for this? Because our school district money is tight, I can't see them putting resource officers in elementary schools, when we are closing and consolidating schools to save money.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

In Colorado, it is an active duty police officer, so I assume they are paid by the state.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

^^^ that's what mine is too, but I know he's paid by the town. We pay *ridiculously* high school taxes where we are though. My town is one of, I think, four towns that come together and have one school district, so the schools are spread out through those four towns, each with different police departments. I know the high school I went to, next town over, has had armed police officers there for years and years, same district. My town has one elementary school (without an armed police officer, at least the last time I was there) and one intermediate school. The intermediate school is where the on-duty uniformed police officer is stationed. And he's definitely armed (I've known him since grade school) and wears a bulletproof vest every single day, just like all the other officers in my town.

My town is in an uproar right now because the new tax rates went up sooooo much. At least 80% of the town had a 40-60% increase in overall taxes and most of that extra tax is going to the school district. What everyone is in a tizzy about is because there has been a fund that schools have gotten since Hurricaine Sandy (2012) that they are now no longer getting. The schools became reliant on that fund so now they raised taxes to make up for it. Apparently NJ has a law that property taxes cannot be raised more than 2% a year (this is what I've heard through the grapevine), but like I said most got their taxes increased 40-60% overall. The mayor and tax assessor have spoken to many residents and said there's some kind of loophole, that it's not the town, but the school district, that's raising the taxes. I haven't gotten any info yet since my house is still in limbo from the fire (my assessed property value is about a third of what it was since it's basically just a charred out shell on land right now), but it will certainly be reassessed when the reconstruction is done and I'm terrified. Can you imagine your taxes doubling overnight? Some one I talked to went from $5K to $11K. My town's FB group has been all a flutter over this for 2-3 weeks, with most saying they're protesting it.

czb

our property taxes more than doubled when we moved. here, our tax is based on the original cost of the house, then it's raised a small amount each year. ow, no one would be able to afford to pay taxes.

i *wish* our property taxes were only 11k per year.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    We have a resource officer. Not sure if he's armed or not. This this at the high schools. Elementaries don't have one.

Who's paying for these additional officers? School districts? Is there additional state dollars being allocated for this? Because our school district money is tight, I can't see them putting resource officers in elementary schools, when we are closing and consolidating schools to save money.
    We had resource officers in our schools for over ten years now and ours are armed and straight from the police department.

My daughter's school has an armed police officer on premises too. With her own office and everything.

My only issue is that they need to clearly define the officer's role. If it is for security, fine. But when officers are asked to intervene with the kids in a non life threatening situation, I'm not ok with that. Make sure outsiders aren't a threat or be involved if a crime is going on in school but I don't want armed officers dispatched to deal with bratty kids.
    Neptunia and witchcurlgirl like this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    our property taxes more than doubled when we moved. here, our tax is based on the original cost of the house, then it's raised a small amount each year. ow, no one would be able to afford to pay taxes.

i *wish* our property taxes were only 11k per year.

My brother just bought a home in Princeton, NJ, he's stuck paying $22,000 a year just in property taxes. My cousin bought a lovely 3 bedroom, 2 bath home in Meridian MS for $240,000 (would be twice that here) with a lot of land, she pays $2,200 a year in property taxes! I know, for me, it's worth another $20,000 not to live in MS but still NJ is killing people with their property taxes.

I was 14 and a freshman in HS when the Columbine massacre happened. It was really scary. I tried to convince myself that it couldn't happen in NJ, we're not really hunters and don't have those sorts of guns here. Anything to just think it couldn't happen to us at our school. I would have welcomed a police officer in our school then.
    I like what CornFlakeGirl wrote about having the officers roles defined. Not have them intervene like that story here in NJ where the police were called for some incident where a kid made a comment about a brownie and it was considered racist. Let the school handle behavioral issues and have the police officers there just for security purposes seems the most logical.

^^^ Not sure what part of Jersey you're from, but I'm from what is considered South Jersey (although I'm definitely in the northern part of South Jersey) and hunting is a huge culture here. There are *definitely* gun enthusiasts here that have those kinds of guns (whether they're still legal now or have gotten grandfathered in, not sure).

Our school resource officer is well known and liked by all the kids at my son's intermediate school. He's often around to help with student "issues". Even though our school district has a strong anti-bullying policy, it's not enforced very well or uniformly. But I like knowing he's there when they need him.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by Neptunia View Post
    My brother just bought a home in Princeton, NJ, he's stuck paying $22,000 a year just in property taxes. My cousin bought a lovely 3 bedroom, 2 bath home in Meridian MS for $240,000 (would be twice that here) with a lot of land, she pays $2,200 a year in property taxes! I know, for me, it's worth another $20,000 not to live in MS but still NJ is killing people with their property taxes.
    we still pay more than that. and i'm betting that the 22k/year is for a large lot. ours is .27 acre and that is considered LARGE for here.

Thread Information