• 6 Post By faithanne
  • 5 Post By Brah
  • 1 Post By SHELLEE
  • 2 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 5 Post By Beeyotch
  • 2 Post By faithanne

Thread: Terminix Offers $87M Settlement to Injured Delaware Family

Default Terminix Offers $87M Settlement to Injured Delaware Family

I don't know who else was tracking this story besides me. Family with two teenage sons books a vacation condo in the Virgin Islands. Soon after, everyone is deathly ill. Only the mom recovers. Husband is basically an invalid and the two sons were in critical condition for weeks. The culprit was an illegal pesticide that had been sprayed in the room and that had a deadly neurotoxin in it. The settlement amount tells you how bad it was. Also, I believe that the settlement was actually secret, but reporters figured it out because it was so huge it showed up as an abnormal item on Terminix's annual financial statements.

Terminix offers $87 million settlement to Delaware family sickened by pesticide

by Tom Avril, Staff Writer

The corporate parent of Terminix has reached a tentative agreement to pay $87 million to a Wilmington family sickened by dangerous pesticides at a vacation condominium in the U.S. Virgin Islands.
    [IMG]http://media.philly.com/images/445*674/20150417_inq_he1pesticide17-a.JPG[/IMG] SLIDESHOW

Terminix offers $87 million settlement to Delaware family sickened by pesticide

That is on top of $3 million the company already has paid, an amount equal to its insurance deductible, according to an earnings report filed Thursday by ServiceMaster Global Holdings Inc. of Memphis, Tenn. The company's insurance carriers also have paid the family an amount not disclosed in the filing.
    Stephen Esmond became paralyzed in March 2015 soon after checking into a condo on St. John that was located above another unit in which Terminix exterminators had sprayed an odorless neurotoxin called methyl bromide. His teenage sons were hit hard as well, and remained in critical condition for weeks after the exposure.

Their mother, dentist Theresa Devine, fared better and was discharged soon after the exposure. The family was airlifted to Philadelphia hospitals for treatment.
    Neither the company nor James J. Maron, an attorney who was representing the family, responded to a request for comment Friday.
    Last September, the family met Pope Francis during his visit to Philadelphia. At that time, Esmond, an administrator at the Tatnall School in Wilmington, still suffered from tremors, struggled to speak, and had difficulty turning the pages of books, Maron told CNN.
    The boys - who had been students and athletes at Tatnall - spent weeks in medically induced comas. They were conscious but could barely move, Maron told CNN last year.
    Methyl bromide was banned for indoor residential use in 1984, though some agricultural uses are permitted.
    Terminix International USVI and Terminix International Co. L.P., both ServiceMaster subsidiaries, also have entered a plea agreement with the U.S. Department of Justice.
    The plea calls for the first subsidiary to pay a fine to the federal government in the range of $800,000 to $5 million, while the second subsidiary would pay a fine in the range of $800,000 to $3 million, according to the ServiceMaster earnings report.
    Terminix USVI also agreed to pay $1 million to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for the cost of cleaning up the condos. The other subsidiary would make a "community service payment" of $500,000 to $2 million to the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation, the exact amount to be imposed by the court.
    Neptunia, panic and robertmarilyn like this.

How sad.
    Cats are really just land based sharks in fur coats. - Kittylady

I wondered what happened to that family. It was a pretty big story here in the Philly area for a bit and then I didn't hear much about it. I was hoping they were doing better and that's why it wasn't in the papers as much, unfortunately not. Such a tragedy for this family. This is one time that I feel whatever money they could be given by Terminix just wouldn't be enough for what they've suffered.

One reason why I just won't spray or use anything around here to eliminate weeds, etc. It's not worth the potential side effects. HOw sad for these people.
    I'mNotBitter likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I've recently developed an allergy to DEET, which is in every repellant commercially made for skin use. Well, not every one, I've found a few smaller brands without it.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Now I don't feel so bad about all my anti-chemical rants.
    panic, Brah, twitchy2.0 and 3 others like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I watched a news program about this product. Apparently it's illegal for domestic use everywhere, but it's still used "under the table" in a lot of places. In Thailand, tourists keep dying from this. Apparently they put it in the air conditioners when a person checks out of a hotel room, and then they assume it has dissipated within a certain time period, but it hasn't and then people turn up dead.

That poor family. Does anyone know how the kids are doing now?

Quote Originally Posted by missbazilb View Post
    I watched a news program about this product. Apparently it's illegal for domestic use everywhere, but it's still used "under the table" in a lot of places. In Thailand, tourists keep dying from this. Apparently they put it in the air conditioners when a person checks out of a hotel room, and then they assume it has dissipated within a certain time period, but it hasn't and then people turn up dead.

That poor family. Does anyone know how the kids are doing now?
    i think the sons have "somewhat" recovered, and it's the dad who is in the worst shape now.

I once walked into a hotel room and the smell was horrible. At first I wasn't sure if it was the smell of cleaner or someone's awful aftershave. We went to the front desk and said the smell was unbearable and we needed to switch rooms. We then asked if it was air freshener or bug spray and they said it was bug spray. It was so bad I could taste it. It was awful. Needless to say, we just grabbed our bags and switched hotels. This was in New Orleans.

Jesus, that's horrible.

This is a little off topic, but I just stayed with my mother for a week, and she was having an ant problem. It was manageable for a few days, then one day I came back and there were HUNDREDS crawling over the floor. It was suddenly a swarm. She called Orkin, and it would have meant chemicals sprayed in her home, and would have cost $300, and then checkups every month afterwards, totaling $900. I called right after and cancelled for her, and put vinegar, dishwashing liquid, and salt in a spray bottle and sprayed the kitchen/outside. Not afterwards not a SINGLE ant. Maybe it makes me a nature nut, but these big bug chemical companies are awful, and it's generally so easy to use salt or something much, much safer (and cheaper!).
    Last edited by Brah; August 9th, 2016 at 11:10 PM.

^We've been having problems with ants so I'm going to try that. Thanks!
    Brah likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Home Depot has an organic spray for getting rid of ants. It is safe, and actually worked pretty well, but it smells REALLY STRONGLY like root beer.

We had picnic ants come by every year and eventually used this bait product called "Terro" (you can buy it pretty much everywhere). The ants take the poison back to the nest, and then all of them die. It absolutely annihilated our ant problem in the first week. Virtually nothing came back the next year either.
    I'mNotBitter and Brookie like this.

Omg that poor family.
    Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I've recently developed an allergy to DEET, which is in every repellant commercially made for skin use. Well, not every one, I've found a few smaller brands without it.
    I've got a lemon eucalyptus one but it really stinks and gives me a headache. So I've been covering myself in deet daily since I'm in Barbados for fertility treatment and Zika is here. (Yeah I know but the clinic has great stats.) This shit better be worth it.
    Seapharris7, czb, Nevan and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Home Depot has an organic spray for getting rid of ants. It is safe, and actually worked pretty well, but it smells REALLY STRONGLY like root beer.

We had picnic ants come by every year and eventually used this bait product called "Terro" (you can buy it pretty much everywhere). The ants take the poison back to the nest, and then all of them die. It absolutely annihilated our ant problem in the first week. Virtually nothing came back the next year either.
    There's a product here called Ant Rid which is honey-based and does the same thing (maybe it is the same thing with a different name?) and one little drop in their path is enough for them all to eat it, take it away and kill the nest. I'm not usually one to kill critters unless I have to, but there's no way I'm having my kitchen invaded by ants.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Thread Information