Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By sprynkles
  • 1 Post By hustle4alivin
  • 1 Post By KrisNine
  • 1 Post By MohandasKGanja

Thread: Ellicott City flood last night

Default Ellicott City flood last night

This was on the news all over the place. It's about 3 miles from my house. The first video is filmed from a restaurant that we ate at last year. It starts out bad and then gets really crazy. For the worst, jump to about 3:30 and watch some poor people hanging onto a car.

I have a relative who lives there, it is such a cute town, horrible that this could happen. My relative said that businesses literally lost their floors, that properties were entirely destroyed. Just horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    I have a relative who lives there, it is such a cute town, horrible that this could happen. My relative said that businesses literally lost their floors, that properties were entirely destroyed. Just horrible.
    Yeah, it is a VERY nice town, and has lots of great bars and restaurants and stores. It is hundreds of years old and one of the first towns in Maryland. Because it was originally a mill town, it has lots of hills and streams around it, and rivers naturally go by the area. On the news today, they said that the rain was basically a once-in-1,000 years storm. Literally, you could expect a rain storm like this once every 1,000 years. They got about 6 inches of rain in 3 hours.

We had a lot of rain, too. Sheets of it were falling, and I was keeping an eye on my sump pump in the basement in case it got overwhelmed. But it didn't happen, luckily. However, we do have a big sinkhole near the bottom of one of our main streets. My daughter and I saw it when we were walking this evening. That section of street is going to buckle right next to it soon. It's already cracking.

One of my biggest concerns right now is that one of my son's best friends owns a toy store in Ellicott City. Very nice family. We don't talk to them every day, but there store was on the first floor on that street. It would be a miracle if it survived, and even if it did, the street is going to be closed off for repairs for months.

Aftermath video:

Elite Member

Horrible. I feel so bad for anyone affected by the storm.

Wow, that was very hard to watch. Now please sit down and if you need anything ask your server. Or whatever that fool said. I wanted to smack him.
    darksithbunny and Alysheba like this.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Holy crap. That was awful. Mohandas, I knew you lived up that way and was wondering about you. Ellicott City is a lovely area and its sad to know that this is going on.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    What Kind of Welfare, Witchcraft Hocus Pocus Hoedown is this?!

I'm not sure if this is your son's friend or not, Mo, but he was definitely heroic.

“I can’t do this,” the woman yelled as she crawled halfway out.“You have to,” someone shouted back.
    The man closest to her was Jason Barnes, whose business, All Time Toys, was being wrecked by floodwaters. He stretched out his arm, but he could not reach the woman. So he let go of the chain and stumbled forward. Just seconds after he had fallen and was nearly submerged, he took the driver in his arms and carried her to safety.
    “Jason was incredibly brave and a little bit reckless to wade out to that,” said David Dempster, co-owner of Main Street’s Still Life Gallery. “When he went down, I thought that was it for Jason. I thought he would be swept away to his death.”.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...856_story.html

Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

This is one of my favorite places. I grew up so close to Ellicott City and we used to go there all the time. Wonderful little historic town.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

This is so awful. Here is an article about one of the victims of the flood. Ellicott City flood victim, mother of 10-year-old, remembered as 'full of life' - Baltimore Sun
    Jessica Watsula dropped off her 10-year-old daughter at her brother's house and drove two hours from Pennsylvania for dinner and painting Saturday in Ellicott City a chance to share an evening with her sister-in-law and two other relatives.As the four women left Portalli's Italian restaurant on Main Street in the historic district, a wave of floodwater began to sweep their car away, said her brother, Curtis Brubaker Jr. They got out and clung to a telephone pole as a waist-high wall of water washed over them.
    Watsula, 35, was swept away and died in the flood, one of two people killed in the worst flooding the city has seen since Tropical Storm Agnes in 1972.
    Joseph Anthony Blevins, 38, of Windsor Mill, and his girlfriend were in a car caught up in the water. The woman escaped, but Blevins could not. His body was found about 8:30 a.m. Sunday, police said. Blevins' family could not be reached for comment.
    Both Blevins and Watsula were found on the banks of the Patapsco River on the Baltimore County side, near where a bridge carries Ilchester Road over the river, police said.
    Brubaker, who had been watching his niece, said he drove to Maryland immediately upon hearing about the flood and searched with responders for hours for his sister before identifying her body for the medical examiner after she was found around 2:20 a.m. early Sunday.
    2 dead, emergency declared after historic Ellicott City ravaged by flash flood

"It's going to be a rough loss," he said.
    Watsula, of Lebanon, Pa., had an easy, unforgettable laugh, loved to dance and was outgoing, her family said. She and her daughter, Sarah, were inseparable, Brubaker said.
    She worked in retail, he said, because the hours allowed her to spend time with her daughter.
    Brubaker's wife, Christina Brubaker, who suffered bruising and cuts that required stitches in the incident, did not want to talk about flood, but she said Watsula "was was really easy to get along with, a great aunt, a great mom."
    "She had the best laugh I ever heard," Christina Brubaker said.
    There is more at the link. I hope that your friends and family are alright, Mo.

Quote Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
    I'm not sure if this is your son's friend or not, Mo, but he was definitely heroic.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...856_story.html
    I forgot to follow up on this part - we found out that our son's friend's family sold their share of the business to their partner (Jason) about two months ago. Poor guy.

There were two fatalities - the woman whose last name is Watsula, and a guy whose last name was Blevins. I'm still trying to find out if Blevins is one of the brothers of a long-time coworker of mine.
    Flygirl likes this.

holy shit, it's like a ghost town now
    "I would have gladly held my nose and did the right thing all damn day long to keep Trump out of the fucking White House and it wouldn't have butt hurt me at all."...gas_chick

Thread Information