Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Pakistani Model Qandeel Baloch Strangled in 'Honor Killing'

Default Pakistani Model Qandeel Baloch Strangled in 'Honor Killing'

Qandeel Baloch: Pakistan social media celebrity 'killed by brother'

Pakistani social media celebrity Qandeel Baloch has been killed by her brother in an apparent 'honour killing' in the province of Punjab, police say.

Ms Baloch, 26, recently caused controversy by posting controversial pictures of herself on social media, including one alongside a Muslim cleric.
    Police say she was strangled to death.
    Cases of women being killed for 'dishonouring' their family are commonplace in Pakistan.
    Qandeel Baloch became a household name for posting bold, sometimes raunchy, photographs, video and comments.
    Ms Baloch's parents told The Express Tribune that she was strangled to death on Friday night following an argument with her brother.
    They said her body was not discovered until Saturday morning. Her parents have been taken into custody, the Tribune reported.
    Ms Baloch had gone to Punjab from Karachi because of the threat to her security, police say.
    "[Her] brothers had asked her to quit modelling," family sources quoted by the Tribune said.
    Sources quoted by the newspaper said that Wasim was upset about her uploading controversial pictures online and had threatened her about it.
    Police said he had not been arrested and was on the run.
    'No woman is safe'

Ms Baloch's murder was condemned by filmmaker Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy, whose documentary A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness won an Oscar earlier this year.
    "I really feel that no woman is safe in this country, until we start making examples of people, until we start sending men who kill women to jail, unless we literally say there will be no more killing and those who dare will spend the rest of their lives behind bars," she told the AFP news agency.

Why some say death is 'good news', by BBC World Service South Asia editor Jill McGivering

Qandeel Baloch used social media to find fame and the reactions there showed the feelings she inspired, from admiration to disgust.
    Some called her death "good news" and even praised her suspected killer. Others said it was wrong to condone her murder, even if she was flawed. Some showed outright support.
    Qandeel Baloch has been dubbed Pakistan's Kim Kardashian. There are comparisons: the provocative selfies, the pursuit of celebrity, the controversial rise to notoriety.
    But in Pakistan, women, especially poor ones, still lack basic rights, from schooling to choosing a husband and violence against them is rife. The country struggles with sexuality and especially with "immodest" women.
    The fact that many of Qandeel's videos went viral suggests a titillating fascination with confident female sexuality - along with fear of its power and of her assertion of independence. However she lived her life, tweeted one, it was her life.

Ms Baloch rose to fame in Pakistan in 2014 when a video of her pouting at the camera and asking "How em looking?" went viral.
    In a recent interview she was bitterly critical of Pakistan's patriarchal society and described herself as a leading exponent of girl power.
    While many younger people saw her as a cultural icon and hailed her liberal views, she was also subjected to frequent misogynist abuse online.
    Her request for better security was ignored by the government, Dawn reported, despite pleas made three weeks ago to the interior minister and other senior officials.
    Hundreds of women are murdered every year in Pakistan in so-called honour killing cases.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-36814258
    Last edited by Neptunia; July 16th, 2016 at 10:55 AM. Reason: wrong link

There was this video about here on the BBC news website a few days ago that I happened to watch. She was really charming and talked about how she loved social media. She said she was an open book and put everything out there for people to see. I started following her on Twitter just to see and she was all about sexy videos and women standing up for themselves. I can't believe she had to die for that and at her brother's hands. Her parents are in custody and are apparently protecting the son that murdered their daughter. Just horrible, poor lady.

I'm so sick of this shit! It's 20-Fucking-16! Get out of the stone ages you fucking neanderthals.

I'd like to get a group of us ladies together for Honor Castrations for these "men". Then shove their bits down their throats.
    Mivvi21, panic, Bluebonnet and 8 others like this.

And to strangle her, that's so personal and disgusting, he had to watch her face as she died. Disgusting. I hope his parents face time, and I hope he does too. Though I know not to hold too much hope for it.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I'm so sick of this shit! It's 20-Fucking-16! Get out of the stone ages you fucking neanderthals.

This soo fucking much. I can't take hearing about these stone age arseholes much more.

We could have been born into that high risk group of women. Poor woman. We fail to be grateful enough!
    panic, holly, Seapharris7 and 1 others like this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Qandeel Baloch case: Brother held for Pakistan celebrity's murder

The brother of Pakistani social media celebrity Qandeel Baloch has been arrested for her murder.
    The brother, Waseem, 25, was arrested in Dera Ghazi Khan in central Pakistan on Saturday night.

The Dawn newspaper said he had confessed to the murder, saying he drugged and strangled her "for dishonouring the Baloch name".

Qandeel Baloch, 26, became a household name for posting sometimes raunchy photographs, comments and videos.
    She recently caused controversy by posting pictures of herself alongside a Muslim cleric.

Dawn quoted her brother as saying: "She wasn't aware I was killing her. I gave her a tablet and then strangled her."

Speaking after his arrest, he said: "I am not ashamed. We are Baloch and as Baloch we cannot tolerate [this]".
    He pointed to videos his sister had made, and specifically the images taken with the cleric, Mufti Abdul Qavi.
    Police said the brother had escaped to Dera Ghazi Khan after the killing in the Karimabad area of Multan early on Saturday morning.
    They said he fled with two friends who were still being sought.

Ms Baloch, whose real name was Fouzia Azeem, was buried on Sunday morning in her ancestral village near Dera Ghazi Khan in Punjab province. Images from the scene showed scores of people attending the services.

Mufti Qavi, who said he had forgiven Ms Baloch for her actions, had offered to lead the funeral prayers, reports said.

Ms Baloch had built up a large social media fan-base, with 43,000 Twitter followers and more than 700,000 on Facebook.
    She was well aware of the opposition she faced but continued to post defiant tweets. One on Thursday read: "I will not give up. I will reach for my goal & absolutely nothing will stop me."
    Ms Baloch rose to fame in 2014 when a video of her pouting at the camera and asking "How em looking?" went viral.
    In a recent interview she was bitterly critical of Pakistan's patriarchal society and described herself as a leading exponent of girl power.
    While many younger people saw her as a cultural icon and hailed her liberal views, she was also subjected to frequent misogynist abuse online.

Ms Baloch had gone to Punjab from Karachi because of the threat to her security, police say.
    Her request for better security was ignored by the government, Dawn reported, despite pleas made three weeks ago to the interior minister and other senior officials.
    Hundreds of women are murdered every year in Pakistan in so-called honour killing cases.

Why some say death is 'good news', by BBC World Service South Asia editor Jill McGivering

Qandeel Baloch used social media to find fame and the reactions there showed the feelings she inspired, from admiration to disgust.
    Some called her death "good news" and even praised her suspected killer. Others said it was wrong to condone her murder, even if she was flawed. Some showed outright support.
    Qandeel Baloch has been dubbed Pakistan's Kim Kardashian. There are comparisons: the provocative selfies, the pursuit of celebrity, the controversial rise to notoriety.
    But in Pakistan, women, especially poor ones, still lack basic rights, from schooling to choosing a husband and violence against them is rife. The country struggles with sexuality and especially with "immodest" women.
    The fact that many of her videos went viral suggests a titillating fascination with confident female sexuality - along with fear of its power and of her assertion of independence. However she lived her life, tweeted one, it was her life.

I wonder what will happen to the whole family. Will they actually be tried and convicted? In Pakistan a woman can go to prison for being raped as she had sex outside of marriage or a man not her spouse, so will they actually convict a man for honor killings?

How sick and sad, her own brother

It's really sad to see such happenings. The guy had no right to kill her. But some countries have certain rules and they must be followed until liberalised. Mostly, the islamic countries have these stringent rules that they feel is protecting the women rights. I chanced upon an essay on honor killing and sadly, it's still prevailing largely in this world.
    Some countries have evev weirder rules. Like I just read that possessing a Bible, or watching adult content in North korea is punishable by death.
    Last edited by twitchy2.0; August 5th, 2016 at 09:46 AM.

The lack of remorse is chilling.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Connor View Post
    But some countries have certain rules and they must be followed until liberalised.
    But if nobody ever pushes against these rules, if nobody ever says "No, I am not chattel, I am not a bargaining chip between families. I am a human being who is able to make my own choices about my own life and my own body" then how will this ever change? It won't.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    The lack of remorse is chilling.
    That is not surprising at all. In a lot of cases, it's not just an honor thing. He probably literally feels like he was protecting the family from going to hell. Basically, the verse is something like "he who lets others commit grave sin in his house will risk the fires of Satan, too."
    Seapharris7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    That is not surprising at all. In a lot of cases, it's not just an honor thing. He probably literally feels like he was protecting the family from going to hell. Basically, the verse is something like "he who lets others commit grave sin in his house will risk the fires of Satan, too."
    This is in the Qu'ran?
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    This is in the Qu'ran?
    Yeah. It's been a long time, though. I tried to find it in the indexed copy that I have in my desk, but what I am remembering is too specific to find efficiently.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information