Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Military Coup Unfolding in Turkey

Default Military Coup Unfolding in Turkey

WORLD NEWS

Attempted military coup unfolding in Turkey

Everett Rosenfeld | Ted Kemp
    3 Mins AgoBreaking News

Yasin Akgul | AFP | Getty Images
    Turkish security officers detain Turkish police officers (in black) on July 15, 2016 in Istanbul, during a security shutdown of the Bosphorus Bridge.

Gunfire was heard and jets were seen flying in the Turkish capital of Ankara on Friday as Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said a group within Turkey's military had attempted to overthrow the government.

Security forces had been called in to "do what is necessary," Yildirim said.
    "Some people illegally undertook an illegal action outside of the chain of command," Yildirim said in comments broadcast by private channel NTV and reported by Reuters.
    "The government elected by the people remains in charge. This government will only go when the people say so."
    Separately, Istanbul's Bosphorus Bridge and Fatih Sultan Mehmet Bridge were both closed by military forces on Friday, local television channels reported, without giving a reason. Istanbul is 320 miles away from Ankara.

Bulent Kilic | AFP | Getty Images
    Turkish security officers detain unknown individuals on the side of the road on July 15, 2016 in Istanbul, during a security shutdown of the Bosphorus Bridge.

The Turkish military, however, claimed in a statement that it had taken over the country in order for democratic order and human rights to remain. In the statement, the military said that all existing foreign relations would continue and that rule of law would be a priority.

A Turkish presidential source said in a statement, according to Reuters, that the statement made on behalf of the armed forces was not authorized by military command.
    Footage from NTV showed tanks at the entrance to Istanbul's Ataturk Airport, and all flights from the airport were reportedly cancelled.
    Many social media platforms were blocked in Turkey during Friday's events, according to internet monitoring groups.
    A correspondent for Turkish state broadcaster TRT told Reuters that soldiers had entered TRT buildings in Ankara.
    The dollar jumped about 5 percent against the Turkish lira on those reports.
    Turkey is a member of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) military alliance.

Volkan Furuncu | Anadolu Agency | Getty Images

Turkey's current leader, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, originally came to power as prime minister in 2002 and became the country's first directly elected president in 2014. He has increasingly centralized most governmental power in that office since then, though the presidency was largely a ceremonial office up until he took the role.

Erdogan has severely curtailed freedom of speech and expression and has brought an increasingly religious bent to the Turkish government. Most of his political support is concentrated in rural, conservative, Muslim areas of the country.

Erdogan did not immediately make any public statements, but CNN Turk reported that he was safe.

CNN Turk also reported that some hostages had been taken at the Turkish military headquarters in Ankara.
    Turkey's military, one of the largest in NATO, has traditionally served as a secular and pro-democratic force in Turkish politics since the reign of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, the leader who took Turkey on a secular path in the period following the First World War.

Turkey's armed forces have been engaged in simultaneous, low-level fighting against both ISIS militants on the border with Syria and with restive Kurdish elements in Turkey and Syria.
    The U.S. Air Force operates a base at Incirlik, Turkey, near the Syrian border. The base is home to more than 2,000 American military personnel, and the Air Force has elevated the base to its highest alert level.

That force has grown in size in recent years as the United States has used the base to stage air strikes against ISIS fighters throughout Syria and Iraq.
    Dogan News Agency footage showed cars and buses being diverted in Istanbul. CNN Turkey showed two military vehicles and a group of soldiers lined up at the entrance of one of the bridges in Turkey's biggest city.
    A Turkish official who did not want to be named said soldiers had been deployed in other cities in Turkey, but did not specify which ones. Dogan News Agency reported the national police directorate summoned all police to duty in Ankara.
    This story is developing. Please check back for further updates.
    Turkey coup: Military claims takeover, jets seen flying in Turkish capital of Ankara

Okay, that's it. I am done. Completely fucking done with this planet right now. I'm unplugging for awhile, see y'all when I get back.
    BITTER likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

mentally, I already checked out.
    BITTER likes this.
    "His suits are cheaply made because he makes them in other countries, taking jobs away from good, hard-working Americans."...Bevy Smith on Donald Trump

Yeah. This shit is just relentless now.
    BITTER likes this.

I feel like it's only a matter of time before we are all destroyed.
    HWBL, joebob, Sarzy and 3 others like this.

Gold Member

Just what we need. More instability in that area.

What bothers me most is that everybody you talk to agrees it's terrible, it's never been this bad, people don't know how to be social anymore or how to get along anymore, yet many of them prove on a daily basis they do all the things they claim to be the reason why the world is such a mess. Humanity is going down the drain, fast, and is taking the planet with it.
    BITTER and Seapharris7 like this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

A good friend and her entire family flew to her hometown of Instanbul last week to visit family. I'm worried.
    BITTER likes this.

Elite Member

I've never bought into the whole end times, but I'm starting to think what next? This is bad, really bad.
    BITTER likes this.

If World War 2 wasn't end times, then this certainly isn't either.

A while back, I think Turkey had a coup practically every other week. Sputnik would know more about it than me, though. And Erdogan is such a relentless, Islamist, self-aggrandizing a-hole who has been undermining the secular nature of the country.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by maryk View Post
    I've never bought into the whole end times, but I'm starting to think what next? This is bad, really bad.
    I personally don't believe in any religious end times. Sadly, the people doing these things do. And many of them not only believe in it, but are trying to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by maryk View Post
    I was thinking about that recently. I remember being taught that in confirmation class, nothing scary but just, nations will rise against nation and kingdoms against kingdoms with strange happenings on the earth, earthquakes and things like that. But if you think about history, that really applied to WW1 and WW2, and earthquakes have always happened and we're still here and things are much better now than they were then. Certainly for women and minorities, poor people, sick people, just everybody, it's better now than it was then even with all this horrible stuff going on in the world.
    I wonder what we would have thought if we had Twitter and live TV when Hitler was rolling through Poland or instant photo footage of the bomb drop on Hiroshima. Maybe because we just can see it all happen now and are so interconnected, it seems so much out of our control and frightening. I've been thinking about just getting my info from newspapers with that sort of delay, like we used to because I'm on information overload with all of these depressing things happening.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    If World War 2 wasn't end times, then this certainly isn't either.

A while back, I think Turkey had a coup practically every other week. Sputnik would know more about it than me, though. And Erdogan is such a relentless, Islamist, self-aggrandizing a-hole who has been undermining the secular nature of the country.
    The army would intervene and overthrow the government whenever they believed the secular nature of the country was threatened. They did it in 1960, 1971 and 1980 (+ two mini ones in the 90s, guess it needed to be done every decade) They tried it now but it turns out islamists are much stronger so they failed. Erdogan had the calls for prayer changed to calls to fight against the army and his supporters went on the offensive. Nobody knows exactly what is happening and both sides have committed atrocities.

I'm a bit worried myself because a helicopter with 8 turkish members of the military who were involved in the coup have landed in Northern Greece and requested asylum. The Turkish Minister of Foreign Affairs tweeted that he has requested their return. I hope we don't return them but not sure what the government will do and how much shit we will get from Turkey if we grant them asylum.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

It looks like this has backfired spectacularly. First, unlike previous military coups, this one was launched without the knowledge of some of the top military people and it resulted in loss of life (at least 60, from what I've read), with gruesome video footage of tanks running over civilians. This will smear the reputation of the military as a guarantor of democracy in the country. I think it will further cement Erdogan's hold on power, which is so ironic that one would think that Erdogan planned it.

ETA - take a look at this:

http://news.trust.org/item/20160716120928-eus12

Turkey removes more than 2,700 judges following coup attempt

by Reuters
    Saturday, 16 July 2016 12:08 GMT

ANKARA, July 16 (Reuters) - Turkish authorities on Saturday removed 2,745 judges from duty following an attempted coup by a military faction overnight, broadcaster NTV reported, citing a decision by the High Council of Judges and Prosectors (HSYK).
    Five members of HSYK, Turkey's highest judiciary board, were also removed, state-run Anadolu Agency reported.
    Last edited by MohandasKGanja; July 16th, 2016 at 09:53 AM.

Yeah, whisper is it was a faux-coup to cement Erdogan's rule - now he can purge and remove anyone who would oppose him

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information