Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Elie Wiesel, 87, Holocaust Survivor and Nobel Peace Prize Winning Journalist, Is Dead

Default Elie Wiesel, 87, Holocaust Survivor and Nobel Peace Prize Winning Journalist, Is Dead

Elie Wiesel, Holocaust survivor and Nobel laureate, dead at 87
    By Oren Liebermann and Ray Sanchez, CNN
    Updated 4:53 PM ET, Sat July 2, 2016

(CNN)Elie Wiesel, a Holocaust survivor and author who fought for peace, human rights and simple human decency, has died at the age of 87, a spokesman for Israel's Holocaust memorial, Yad Vashem, said Saturday.
    Wiesel, who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1986, recounted his family being sent to the Nazi concentration camps in his first book, "Night," which was published in 1955.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu lauded Wiesel as a "master of words."
    "(He) gave expression through his exceptional personality, and fascinating books about the victory of the human spirit over cruelty and evil. In the darkness of the Holocaust in which our brothers and sisters -- six million -- were murdered, Elie Wiesel was a ray of light and greatness of humanity who believed in the good in man," Netanyahu said.
    "I was privileged to know Elie and to learn so much from him."
    Born in Romania, Wiesel was 15 when he was sent to the Auschwitz concentration camp in Poland with his family in 1944.
    The future writer was later moved and ultimately freed from the Buchenwald camp in 1945. Of his relatives, only two of his sisters survived.
    Wiesel told CNN last year that Auschwitz was "to this day, a source of shock and astonishment."
    He broke his silence on his Holocaust experience 10 years after the liberation with the acclaimed memoir "Night," originally published in French as "La Nuit," which has been translated into 30 languages and has sold millions of copies since its publication.
    The Nobel peace laureate, who wrote extensively about the horrors he and others endured, said he knew he'd have to write at some point but feared the words would elude him.
    "I'm not sure, by the way, that I did find them," he said. "Maybe there are no words for what happened. Maybe somehow, the Germans ... the cruel killers, have succeeded at least in one way, at least that it deprived us, the victims, of finding the proper language of saying what they had done to us, because there are no words for it."
    In 1986 the Nobel committee called Wiesel an important spiritual leader.
    In his speech honoring Wiesel, then-chairman Egil Aarvik said: "From the abyss of the death camps he has come as a messenger to mankind, not with a message of hate and revenge, but with one of brotherhood and atonement."
    Millions of people were touched by "Night" and some 50 other works Wiesel produced. His books were deeply personal. He was honest with his readers about what he went through physically, emotionally, spiritually.
    CNN's Annie Rose Ramos and Steve Almasy contributed to this report.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Wow, RIP Elie.

He was from the final surviving generation of Holocaust survivors...who will keep telling the stories?
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Elite Member

Rip

My gran's friend showed me the tattoed number when I was a child... Her entire family was killed there. She only told us a couple of things, but she got hammered every year on the anniversary of her liberation from the camp and hinted at things. My mum's friend's family is a patchwork of a family. Survivors, not blood related, formed a a family after the war. Almost all of them are dead now, but I make sure that I tell my kids about their story so it would never happen again.
    BITTER and darksithbunny like this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    He was from the final surviving generation of Holocaust survivors...who will keep telling the stories?
    We will, we must.
    Now we are being told our neighbors, again, are our enemies. They are not. We must remember our past.
    We didn't forget slavery (hopefully) when those directly affected died, we will not do the same now.
    People loved my grandpa he was a symbol of the best generation, he served in WW2, was a POW. He told us all that his guards KNEW, they threatened to burn him with the Jews as punishment. He and others made it known that many Americans were circumcized, saving a fellow soldier
    BITTER likes this.

RIP. Night was one of the most moving books I have ever read. If you haven't read it, give it a chance. It's a quick read and it's one you'll never forget.
    BITTER, maryk and CornFlakegrl like this.

It wasn't too long ago I learned the fate of the deaf during those times. I knew about jews and gypsies but never about those with disabilities.
    So if I had lived then, there, .. as part Roma and deaf, I'd be dead. That.. just ...astounds me. I wouldn't harm a fly! I work, I pay taxes and bills, I raise good kids. I'm good to my neighbors, etc etc but I'd be dead just like all those who perished. My heart weeps for them.
    I tell my kids that once upon a time a single man controlled the masses to a murderous point that millions died because of who they are, how they look or what they believe in. I want them to take that step to ensure they never be like that man.
    However Wiesel is right, there are no words, the holocaust is beyond what can be described, even to my kids.
    But he tried and bless him for that.

Rip
    BITTER and czb like this.

I worked with a lady whose grandfather was a holocaust survivor. He was working to raise money (and collect artifacts) for the Kansas City holocaust museum.

We went to a fundraising event and he gave a presentation of what his childhood was like, first working in some ammunition factory and then been sent to Bergen-Belsen and just barely missed getting sent to Auschwitz. Anyway, the main thing I took from his presentation (other than the general horror) was how incredibly and deeply upset and ashamed he was of being tattooed. Apparently Jewish law does not allow it, and it was a huge deal to this man, may he RIP.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

czb

^^^ yeah, that was one of many indignities that camp prisoners were subjected to.

what kills me is how few comments appear in this thread, and there are about a zillion manifestos in the leann/brandi threads.

the injustice continues.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    ^^^ yeah, that was one of many indignities that camp prisoners were subjected to.

what kills me is how few comments appear in this thread, and there are about a zillion manifestos in the leann/brandi threads.

the injustice continues.
    That's not fair. This is a gossip board after all. There are quite a few days when I avoid serious threads because i just can't handle it at the time.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

czb

ok.

i was just sad about elie's passing.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    I know two men in their late 80's. One is an activist for survivor issues. Both obviously escaped. The activist was blonde and blue eyed and was never suspected to be a Jew. The other still works at his own business that he started 60 years ago when he came to the US. Both are sharp as a tack and can tell you stories for days. One of them met his wife when they were young teens, both from Berlin, but met in Barcelona who took the Jews in. They married and came to the US.

When I was 13 I went to a Borscht Belt hotel in the Catskill Mountains - exactly like in the movies. I went with my friend and her grandmother. Community dining room with assigned seating, boating on a lake - the "nightclub" at 9 pm! At lunch, I sat next to an older gentleman and I saw his tattooed numbers on his forearm as he was wearing a short sleeved shirt. I was staring at it I guess and he said "Do you know what this means dahlink"? I said no and he explained it with his very thick Eastern European accent. That was the first person I ever met that had the row of numbers on their arm. My great grandparents were already living in the US so I never knew much about it.
    BITTER likes this.

czb

i lived in a community with a lot of prison camp survivors. they were not proud of their tattoos, but would often tell the stories behind them. i worry that as these oldster die off, no one will be around to tell the stories and they'll just become myth.
    BITTER likes this.

The holocaust is pretty well documented. Unless you mean just the individual stories.

RIP Elie.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information