Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By HeartShapedBox
  • 1 Post By SHELLEE

Thread: Ohio teen dies from brain-eating amoeba

Default Ohio teen dies from brain-eating amoeba

Ohio teen dies from brain-eating amoeba

CNN)A brain-eating amoeba took the life a teenager who went on a church trip in Charlotte, North Carolina, health officials said Wednesday. The 18-year-old Ohio woman died of primary amebic mengioencephalitis on Sunday, a rare but fatal brain infection caused by the amoeba Naegleria fowleri, said Mitzi Kline, director of communication for Franklin County Public Health. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed the presence of the amoeba in cerebral spinal fluid.

The amoeba is commonly found in warm freshwater and soil, according to the CDC. It also grows in pipes but not salt water such as oceans.
    The teen's "only known underwater exposure was believed to be when riding in a raft with several others that overturned at the U.S. National Whitewater Center in Charlotte," the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services said.
    In response to the incident, the U.S. National Whitewater Center said in a statement that it gets its water from the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Utilities Department and two wells on its property, adding that it disinfects all water with ultraviolet radiation and chlorine. "The levels of UV radiation disinfection utilized every day, continuously, at the Center are sufficient to 'inactivate' the water born amoeba in question to an effective level of 99.99%," the statement said. Out of an abundance of caution, it said it added more chlorine into its system when it learned of this incident.

Read More

State and county health officials are working with the CDC and the water park to investigate the death. CDC personnel are in North Carolina and hope to take samples of the water as part of the investigation.
    What is Naegleria fowleri?

A person will not become ill from drinking contaminated water, but when water with Naegleria fowleri enters the body through the nose and travels to the brain, the consequence is almost always deadly. This can result from diving into the water or entering the water from a water slide. There have also been cases linked to improperly disinfected swimming pool water or heated and contaminated tap water. However, most infections were the result of swimming in warm lakes or rivers. Naegleria fowleri infections most often occur in summer months and in Southern states, and they are not contagious.

Symptoms, which include headache, fever, nausea and vomiting, usually begin about five days after infection but can occur within one to nine days. The illness often causes death within five days of when symptoms begin.
    Kline noted that Naegleria fowleri infections are rare. The CDC reported 37 infections in the 10 years from 2006 to 2015. But the fatality rate of the infection is as high as 97%. "Only 3 out of the 138 known infected individuals in the United States from 1962 to 2015 have survived," the CDC said.
    How to prevent Naegleria flowleri infections
    To limit the risk of infection, North Carolina health officials recommended the following precautions:

• Limit the amount of water going up your nose. Hold your nose shut, use nose clips or keep your head above water when taking part in warm freshwater-related activities.
    • Avoid water-related activities in warm freshwater during periods of high water temperature and low water levels.
    • Avoid digging in, or stirring up, the sediment while taking part in water-related activities in shallow, warm freshwater areas.

Ohio teen dies from brain-eating amoeba - CNN.com
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

What a horrible way to die.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Elite Member

They've confirmed that the water at the USNWC is positive for the amoeba and have shut down all water activities for the time being. It's really sad, and one of those things that is probably more likely to happen in a lake or river than a facility with treated water. Just horrible, horrible luck. I feel awful for the girl and her family.

The whitewater center is super cool, and if there is a problem with the water treatment, I hope they're able to fix it because that's rather unsettling to think about.

OMG how sad. I watch that show Monster's Inside Me all the time and it usually is always from a lake or river. This is a first I've ever heard catching a parasite from water park that has chlorinated water.
    stef, Seapharris7 and o0Amber0o like this.

^^ i've probably seen every episode and that was the first thing i thought of, too.

But the fatality rate of the infection is as high as 97%. "Only 3 out of the 138 known infected individuals in the United States from 1962 to 2015 have survived," the CDC said.
    lucky motherfuckers.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Can't help but notice a link to the increase in these types of incidents and climate change...could there be a connection?
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

This is not the article in its entirety, fyi.

Painful injury

Alex and Amy Bromhead, who live in Stuart, Fla., added a rafting tour at the Whitewater Center to their three-day visit to Charlotte in May 2015. The couple had rafted in whitewater many times before.
    Now, they think the center should be shut down.
    Both were thrown repeatedly from the raft into shallow water, Amy Bromhead said Thursday. At one of the bigger rapids, she said, her husband fell six feet through the air into water two feet deep. The fall to the channel’s concrete bottom dislocated his left shoulder and gashed his elbow.
    At home two days later, after a doctor in Charlotte stapled the elbow wound shut, an orthopedist prescribed antibiotics for the elbow. Alex Bromhead, who works in sales and is 52, woke at 4 a.m. the following day with unbearable pain and purple streaks radiating from his elbow.
    He was rushed into surgery to treat the infection, and stayed in the hospital for a week on intravenous antibiotics. For five more weeks, the wound had to be painfully reopened twice a day to remove infected tissue. “It’s beyond excruciating,” Amy Bromhead said.
    After lab cultures were grown, doctors found the infection had been caused by a waterborne bacteria, she said.
    The Whitewater Center refunded their admission after the accident but refused any other compensation, she said. “They were very professional, they were never rude, but they said ‘Sorry it happened, everybody gets hurt at a high-adventure place and you signed a waiver,’ ” she said.

Visitors to U.S. National Whitewater Center worried about water before death of Ohio teenager from amoeba | The Charlotte Observer

Read more here: Visitors to U.S. National Whitewater Center worried about water before death of Ohio teenager from amoeba | The Charlotte Observer

I'm gonna have nightmares.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

The only fresh water I swim in is a pool.
    witchcurlgirl likes this.

I vastly prefer natural water to pools.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    The only fresh water I swim in is a pool.
    I can't even do pools anymore. At least not public pools.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I vastly prefer natural water to pools.
    I go in natural salt water, but not fresh water in Florida. There's alligators everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    I can't even do pools anymore. At least not public pools.
    Yeah, they can be yucky.

Well yeah, in Florida I'd stay away from fresh water. Isn't it mostly swampy anyway?

On another note, I'm fairly certain I have developed yet another allergy and this one is to insect repellent and right when shit is starting to get freaky! I just ordered some Skin So Soft yesterday to see if I can still use that. But yeah, I didn't even use any this past weekend because I had had a couple of episodes of my uvula swelling up when I used it, but the kid and Viking used some and my uvula swelled anyway. Not horribly or scarily or anything, just enough to feel uncomfortable, but I took a Benadryl anyway before I went to sleep to be on the safe side.

I'm allergic to everything, dammit!
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Thread Information