Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Disney gator attack: 2-year-old believed dead as rescue turns to recovery

Default Disney gator attack: 2-year-old believed dead as rescue turns to recovery

This like the second really morbid story in a row that I've posted (apologies!), but it seems pretty important because a lot of us here are regular visitors, and as far as I know Disney doesn't post signs warning about alligators on its properties, even though one just snatched (and apparently ate) a 2-year-old off the shore of Seven Seas Lagoon (next to the Grand Floridian hotel).

Disney gator attack: Boy believed dead, sheriff says - CNN.com

Lake Buena Vista, Florida (CNN)The 2-year-old boy who was grabbed Tuesday night by an alligator near a Walt Disney World resort hotel is believed dead, Orange County Sheriff Jerry Demings said Wednesday. Demings noted that it has been 15 hours since the attack and rescue officials are trying to recover the body.

The boy's family was at movie night outdoors at the Grand Floridian resort when around 9 p.m. the boy waded into about a foot of water in a lagoon, authorities have said. Witnesses, including the boy's horrified parents, tried to save him. His father jumped in and tried to pry the gator's mouth open. His mother jumped in, too.
    But it was too late. The child was dragged underwater in the Seven Seas Lagoon, witnesses told authorities. The lagoon is connected to a series of canals that feed into large bodies of water, according to Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission Executive Director Nick Wiley.
    A search began for the boy immediately, with boats from Disney searching along with law enforcement.
    By midmorning Wednesday, Disney had closed all beaches in its resort area "out of an abundance of caution" following the attack, a Disney representative said.
    Wiley said the child was on the edge of the lagoon when the alligator attacked, according to the boy's family. He cautioned that the investigation is still in an early stage and officials need to interview at least two other families who may have witnessed the attack.
    Demings specifically said that the child was "wading ... along the lake's edge at the time that the alligator attacked."
    The father suffered minor scratches on his hand trying to save his son.
    The sad reality of it is it's been several hours, and we're not likely going to recover a live body," Demings said.
    He said there is no record of similar incidents in this particular area.
    A handful of people witnessed the attack and supplied police with information. Witnesses said the family was on the beach, and the boy's sister was in a playpen about 20 to 30 yards from the water, according to Demings. The toddler was nearby, wading in the water.
    There are "No Swimming" signs at the lagoon, and no one else was in the water at the time of the attack besides the child, Demings said.
    Declan Salcido, who was vacationing at the resort with relatives from San Jose, California, said the "No Swimming" signs are visible "from any vantage point."
    The lagoon is not for recreational swimming.
    "This is Florida, and it's not uncommon for alligators to be in bodies of water," Demings said.

Florida has been having a bad week. Word.
    Trixie likes this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

horrific.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    horrific.
    What gets me is that a lot of times the person/child disappears and they kind of guess it's a gator. In this case, the mom and dad together were struggling to pull the kid out of its jaws. I can barely process it...
    BITTER and Seapharris7 like this.

I cannot even begin to imagine what that must have been like.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

For the child's sake, I hope death was quick. Those parents are going to be utterly destroyed.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

I've told my kids that if something ever happened to them, I would jump into a live volcano. (But if one of them is still around that is going to kind of complicate things.)

fgg

we're staying at the polynesian this weekend...this story really got me. we are at disney at least once a month and i just never thought an alligator would be in a man-made lake and plus, it is disney for pete's sake! i can't believe this happened. heartbreaking.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Elite Member

This is horrible. I knew that there were gators and snakes in Disney, but didn't think one would be so bold as to go into the lagoon and snatch a kid. I can't imagine the horror of seeing your child taken by one. I know there were no swimming signs posted, but to think wading in a foot of water in a man-made lagoon could result in this type of tragedy -- it's so sad.

Orlando is having a really shitty week.

They really need more than just 'No Swimming' signs. Alligators can walk on land. They run like fucking lightning too.

Yep they should have someone checking those waters all the time. I just assume in a humid climate that any body of water has alligators and snakes and stay my ass away. These poor parents I don't even want to try and imagine what they are going through.
    Beeyotch likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Really, if I saw a 'no swimming' sign I might assume it was for liability issues, since there are no lifeguards. I can understand if this family's first thought wasn't "ALLIGATORS!" They were from Nebraska.

I saw a report on this story on Inside Edition and they said Disney has a full-time staff to control the gator population, and that 4 had been destroyed since the incident. (Obviously they weren't doing a very good job at control...)

There are also conflicting reports on whether the child was actually in the water or just close to the edge.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Everyone at my CG base is shaking their heads at this one...everyone is asking if the dad saw the signs that warned of gators and pretty much said to stay out of the water.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Alligators can walk on land. They run like fucking lightning too.
    Someone once told me that if you're being chased by an alligator, to run in a zig-zag pattern and maybe it won't catch you. I hope I never have to test that theory.
    witchcurlgirl and KrisNine like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I just read that they found the body.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information